300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swerving

can you get pulled over and ticketed for swerving to miss , say a big pothole, manhole cover, dead animal?? what if you stayed in your lane when you swerved?? heard a story about it happening to somebody when they swerved to miss a pothole wondering if its possible, i live in michigan and there is alot of them ( potholes ) here.

can you get pulled over and ticketed for swerving to miss , say a big pothole, manhole cover, dead animal?? what if you stayed in your lane when you swerved?? heard a story about it happening to somebody when they swerved to miss a pothole wondering if its possible, i live in michigan and there is alot of them ( potholes ) here.
    Sure.

If one were to swerve to miss a pothole or carcass and struck the vehicle beside them, or the one coming the other way, would that be OK? Suppose you were that other vehicle? Suppose that you are the other vehicle and you are on a motorcycle?

Swerving just enough to miss it is one thing. Violently careening into an adjacent lane at the last moment without looking is another. That driver beside you or meeting you may not even know that you have a pot hole or deer carcass in front of you. You may encounter a big obstacle and need to go around it, but there's a car or motorcycle beside you, which means you have to stop before going around it maybe? There are times when it's better to just run over whatever (deer guts, etc) and accept the consequences, far better than wrecking someone else.

Whatever, before you move from your lane you have an obligation to check and make sure the change can be made safely and that requires your attention to your driving, full time.

§ 46.2-848. Signals required on backing, stopping, or turning.

Every driver who intends to back, stop, turn, or partly turn from a direct line shall first see that such movement can be made safely and, whenever the operation of any other vehicle may be affected by such movement, shall give the signals required in this article, plainly visible to the driver of such other vehicle, of his intention to make such movement.

You could be driving down a country road past a 258 year old Oak tree and have it fall on you and kill you "deader'an 4 o:clock" for that matter ...
    ... in which case it would really suck to be you.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

i get that part of it, but what if you dont leave your lane?? and it wasnt violent, im saying say a dead cats coming up and if you keep your same direction you will just hit it with your driverside tire so you move over so it goes directly under center but you never leave your lane. the reason im asking is i was reading the" how strict are u on dwi/owi" thread and someone relyed with this in their reply " In your case weaving within his lane, which isnt against the law", i know that topic has to do with drunk driving but was wondering about the whole weaving within his lane and not being illegal, i understand that could get you pulled over for suspecian of drunk driving for it.

Comment

Swerving

Go back and read Post#2. It answers your question. If you can SAFELY swerve to avoid an obstacle in your path, it's okay. Problems arise if and when, by doing so, you cause an accident.

Comment

It all depends, if there is something in the road and you swerve into another lane to avoid hitting it and there is nobody in that other lane your good. (atleast in any normal cops mind)

If you swerve into someone or make them crash you will be at fault.

Comment

" In your case weaving within his lane, which isnt against the law", i know that topic has to do with drunk driving but was wondering about the whole weaving within his lane and not being illegal, i understand that could get you pulled over for suspecian of drunk driving for it.
            Steady weaving is not swerving to miss an obstacle.

Steady, constant, or even some re-occurring weaving is just one of several indicia of a distracted, sleepy, diabetic, or otherwise impaired driver. It is not a violation in and of itself if confined within one's lane, but it is unusual and it will get noticed by other drivers including cops for that reason.

It can lead to a stop.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by t150vsuptpr
              Steady weaving is not swerving to miss an obstacle.

It can lead to a stop.
              +1

filler words to make my post work!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4929 users online. 295 members and 4634 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X