300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranoia: What are my chances?

Hi guys, I'm new here. I would like some honest opinions about my chances of transitioning towards a career in law enforcement. I'm currently applying to FHP and a few local jurisdictions willing to sponsor candidates. I went in-depth with my cousin, a retired FHP Trooper, and he told me I have nothing to worry about so it may just be paranoia, but it's always nice to see second opinions.

Driving Record:

I'm a decent and thoughtful driver; I've been driving since I was 6 years old on the back roads. I acquired my license in 2014 at the age of 18 and had no incidents until 2018. Last year I got a promotion which required a hell of a lot of driving around Florida (I did 76,560 miles this year) and that's when the problems started. I've had 4 encounters with law enforcement this year.

1st Encounter: My very first ticket. I was traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers Northbound on 75 around midnight when FHP got me moving 92 in a 70. I was alone on the road in a new car with new tires, properly balanced and aligned with extremely bright high beams. I know that doesn't justify driving over the speed limit, but I was just moving with the road. At that time I was still trying to recover financially from supporting my girlfriend's health issue, so my grandmother offered to pay for the ticket which I was grateful for. However, the issue was when she paid for it, she elected to attend driving school and never notified me of that. While some states I do know that if you elect to do driving school and you don't, they just assess the points and that's that. Florida, however, doesn't work that way. It wasn't until a few months down the road I got a letter from the DMV saying they would suspend my license for unpaid fees, but by the time I received it my license was already suspended. I immediately paid the clerk the $40 they charged for incomplete driver's education (which they never even notified me at that) and paid the DMV the $60 reinstatement fee. I don't know if that type of suspension will be held against me since it was complete and utter BS to the core, but just something to consider.

2nd Encounter: Traveling on 80 through Labelle on a trip from Palm Beach to Ft. Myers, I got caught doing 70 in a 55 by FHP. It was also around midnight and a road I did not travel very often. The road immediately transitioned from a 65 zone to a stretch of 55 when I was not aware with no change at all in the road. As I started to approach the town of Labelle, I obviously slowed down to a safe speed. The Trooper pulled me over half way through Labelle. Initially, he said he wasn't going to pull me over at all since he saw me slow down as I approached the town, however he couldn't "excuse" me traveling 70 in a 55. I explained to him that I had no clue at all that the speed limit changed. The was zero change in the road at all and if there was a posted speed limit I definitely missed it. We argued for a bit, he issued a ticket, we shook hands and we moved on. I ended up sending it to court and the court withheld adjudication.

3rd Encounter: This one actually occurred in my own home town. I was traveling from Orlando to Coconut Creek late at night (I should really stop driving late at night) when I was pulled over by Coconut Creek police. I had jumped off the Turnpike and stopped at a gas station so I didn't have to fill up to get to the office in the morning. Heading down Lyons I was traveling between 55-60 when a cop pulled a U-turn and pulled up behind me. He lit me up and I pulled into the gas station not even a mile from my house. Coconut Creek has a buddy system; they always conduct traffic stops with a partner. Shortly after he pulled me over, his partner (which I knew) pulled up and we had a 20 minute conversation while he wrote up the citation... the longest citation ever. I took it to court and they withheld adjudication with a very small court fee.

4rd Encounter: Ahhhh... this one was entertaining. Great cop and great guy, one of the most pleasant stops I've had in my series of unfortunate events. I was traveling from Tampa to Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on a long, long work day. I was traveling Southbound on 95 when I was pulled over by St. Lucie County Sheriff going 92. While all the traffic was moving fast that day (85-90), I unfortunately was moving a hair faster. As soon as I saw him squatting behind his patrol car with his radar around a bend, I immediately pulled over. He came up to the car and I said, "Man when I saw you around the corner I was like crap." He started laughing and said, "Hey you gotta pick it up; the fastest of the day was 115." I told him I had a firearm in the glovebox, he removed it while I retrieved my information and he wrote me a very discounted ticket a few minutes later. We talked a bit more, I thanked him and then we took off.

Accidents:

Zero. Nada. There have been two very close near misses of people hitting me. One was a lady that was high or something was trying to cross towards a median when I was on the other side of a semi truck. Just before she struck my right front fender, I caught it in the corner of my eye and swerved towards the median then pulled a 180 drift to stop myself from heading into oncoming traffic. While some witnesses stopped to check on me, she continued like it never happened... South Florida. While my adrenaline was pumping at the moment, I went back and looked at the dash cam footage later and I kind of felt proud of myself as it was some seriously skillful ****. Another was a man when I was parked at a red light. I am always vigilant when it comes to checking my mirrors and this time, it paid off. While I was stopped at a red light, I saw in my rear view mirror a car moving way too fast to stop with the distance it had. I reacted by pulling up horizontally in front of the other car next to me and the car that almost hit me jetted halfway through the intersection before coming to a stop and at that rate, he just continued. The car I pulled in front of talked a bit about it then we went on about our day.

Credit:

There's really not much in this section, but I don't have the best credit. I got some small limit credit cards when I was younger and was stupid with them. Total outstanding debt is under 1000 and I'm in the process of paying it back; my Discover just reported good standing last month.

Thank you for reading my shenanigans and I appreciate your honest opinions. I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors as I did not proof this at all before posting.

Note: Only 2 out of the 4 tickets were convictions where points were assessed.

Last edited by haileyboy23; 01-07-2019, 07:18 PM.

Auto DQ because insurance will not allow you to drive a fleet vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      Auto DQ because insurance will not allow you to drive a fleet vehicle.
      Really? That seems extreme for 4 citations and zero accidents when driving almost 7 times more than the average person. I haven't even experienced a bump in my insurance from the 2 tickets where the points were assessed. Thank you for your opinion, though. Do you think that I will find a smaller department to pick me up down the line? I only applied for FHP because of my cousin and the fact that they're suffering a shortage of manpower considering their pay and benefits are complete doo doo.
      Last edited by haileyboy23; 01-07-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

• just joe
        just joe commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends. Some small departments are very selective and quite difficult to get on. You need a place that is hard up for people, and is willing to lower their standards.

• haileyboy23
        haileyboy23 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's mainly where I've been looking at. I have a few buddies that pursued law enforcement with similar if not more issues and they found jobs with smaller towns in northern/southwest Florida. Law enforcement in a lot of areas is becoming scarce nowadays; few of the newer generation seem to have interest in policing. It is a very difficult job with little reward and I respect the people willing to do it.

Instead of making a separate post and oversaturating the forums I guess I also have some worries of getting a job in LE. I’m looking into SoCal LASD, LAPD, etc. I’m currently active duty military and will be getting out roughly 8-12 months prior to my contract ending with an honorable discharge. The backstory is I came to my post on a compassionate reassignment (across the country) to take care of my mother. She has fallen more ill and it has become
      more of a financial issue keeping up. So I put in for a voluntary separation and was given it. I’m not in debt or anything It just is hard making 800 every two weeks and making it work. Anyways, like I said my discharge is honorable and I will have no issue explaining my issue along with having my command team as references. I don’t see any other issues besides my vision uncorrected is terrible (I wear glasses) so I believe I will probably get soft contact lenses since LASD will test me just with them on and I’m 20/20 corrected. I appreciate the responses and appreciate what each and every one of you officers, sheriffs, etc. do.

Comment

Your situation won’t impact you as an applicant. Go test.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• UcWilson17
          UcWilson17 commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate it Sir.

No problem. Your .MIL situation is not unique and should not cause you concern.

Comment

Originally posted by haileyboy23

I am sorry to hear about your mother and I understand your struggle. I don't think you will have any issue whatsoever, although who am I to say. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Thank You! I appreciate it!

Comment

One thing you didn't mention is the length of time between citations and when you last received one. That's important because repeated violations show a disregard for the law. Regardless of your explanations. Your first ticket was 22 miles over and you were doing 92. In some jurisdictions that's felony speeding. You're also applying for an agency whose primary mission is the enforcement of traffic laws. Lead by example.

On a side note, you may not like the response you received from CCCSD, but he has a point. You went to great lengths to describe each of your encounters and sprinkle them with suppositions that you were not entirely at fault. I can tell you that is absolutely not what an agency wants to hear. It suggests you do not take responsibility for your actions. More importantly, it suggests your rationalizations prevent you from learning from your mistakes. A fact that appears to be supported by your repeated citations. Had you simply said, "I had four speeding tickets over the course of four years. I was young, irresponsible, and made some mistakes that I've learned from," I would have a more optimistic outlook. The problem is not necessarily your driving record.

You may not like or agree with the responses you receive on this forum, but you CHOSE to come hear and ask for input. Input that is based on years and years of experience. To suggest someone is a "horrible cop" and "lacks basic humanity and basic situational reasoning" because you got a response you didn't like is reprehensible. If you can't accept criticism this isn't the career for you.

Comment

• haileyboy23
              haileyboy23 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for your reply. I appreciate each and every response as I've gained valuable insight. The only possibility of this post not gaining any criticism was if I posted about a clean driving record, my Bachelors degree and flawless credit—I was already rather perspicaciously prepared. However, CCCSD's post was not only completely irrelevant and sprinkled with a tinge of ignorance, it contained zero empirical argument, absent of attempt of any following rationale, something you and just about everyone else has done.

• haileyboy23
              haileyboy23 commented
              Editing a comment
              All citations I have received were in 2018, with few months separation.

Originally posted by haileyboy23 View Post

Really? That seems extreme for 4 citations and zero accidents when driving almost 7 times more than the average person. I haven't even experienced a bump in my insurance from the 2 tickets where the points were assessed. Thank you for your opinion, though. Do you think that I will find a smaller department to pick me up down the line? I only applied for FHP because of my cousin and the fact that they're suffering a shortage of manpower considering their pay and benefits are complete doo doo.
            Four moving violations and a suspension in a year is a lot, regardless of your explanations or conviction status. No one is going to care how many miles you drive. You're applying to an agency whose primary mission is traffic enforcement and your driving record is crap.

Slow down and put some more time in between your violations and apply then.

Comment

• haileyboy23
              haileyboy23 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you and you're right; that would be seemingly ironic. I know my record got bad pretty fast, this is all in a years time! How long do you think I should wait until I reapply, assuming I receive no more moving violations.

You're driving 90+ but it's ok and not really your fault .You should continue with this way of thinking throughout the process. I'm sure the FHP Troopers making the hiring decision will totally understand.

Your tire alignment was good and you were just following the road and you didn't see the sign and I'm a good driver and and and

Comment

Based off what I've read in your original post and the subsequent responses, the chances of you having a successful law enforcement career are very slim.
              Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Already started editing his first post.

Comment

Originally posted by haileyboy23 View Post
                  Hi guys, I'm new here. I would like some honest opinions about my chances of transitioning towards a career in law enforcement. I'm currently applying to FHP and a few local jurisdictions willing to sponsor candidates. I went in-depth with my cousin, a retired FHP Trooper, and he told me I have nothing to worry about so it may just be paranoia, but it's always nice to see second opinions.

Driving Record:

I'm a decent and thoughtful driver; I've been driving since I was 6 years old on the back roads. I acquired my license in 2014 at the age of 18 and had no incidents until 2018. Last year I got a promotion which required a hell of a lot of driving around Florida (I did 76,560 miles this year) and that's when the problems started. I've had 4 encounters with law enforcement this year.

1st Encounter: My very first ticket. I was traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Myers Northbound on 75 around midnight when FHP got me moving 92 in a 70. I was alone on the road in a new car with new tires, properly balanced and aligned with extremely bright high beams. I know that doesn't justify driving over the speed limit, but I was just moving with the road. At that time I was still trying to recover financially from supporting my girlfriend's health issue, so my grandmother offered to pay for the ticket which I was grateful for. However, the issue was when she paid for it, she elected to attend driving school and never notified me of that. While some states I do know that if you elect to do driving school and you don't, they just assess the points and that's that. Florida, however, doesn't work that way. It wasn't until a few months down the road I got a letter from the DMV saying they would suspend my license for unpaid fees, but by the time I received it my license was already suspended. I immediately paid the clerk the $40 they charged for incomplete driver's education (which they never even notified me at that) and paid the DMV the $60 reinstatement fee. I don't know if that type of suspension will be held against me since it was complete and utter BS to the core, but just something to consider.

2nd Encounter: Traveling on 80 through Labelle on a trip from Palm Beach to Ft. Myers, I got caught doing 70 in a 55 by FHP. It was also around midnight and a road I did not travel very often. The road immediately transitioned from a 65 zone to a stretch of 55 when I was not aware with no change at all in the road. As I started to approach the town of Labelle, I obviously slowed down to a safe speed. The Trooper pulled me over half way through Labelle. Initially, he said he wasn't going to pull me over at all since he saw me slow down as I approached the town, however he couldn't "excuse" me traveling 70 in a 55. I explained to him that I had no clue at all that the speed limit changed. The was zero change in the road at all and if there was a posted speed limit I definitely missed it. We argued for a bit, he issued a ticket, we shook hands and we moved on. I ended up sending it to court and the court withheld adjudication.

3rd Encounter: This one actually occurred in my own home town. I was traveling from Orlando to Coconut Creek late at night (I should really stop driving late at night) when I was pulled over by Coconut Creek police. I had jumped off the Turnpike and stopped at a gas station so I didn't have to fill up to get to the office in the morning. Heading down Lyons I was traveling between 55-60 when a cop pulled a U-turn and pulled up behind me. He lit me up and I pulled into the gas station not even a mile from my house. Coconut Creek has a buddy system; they always conduct traffic stops with a partner. Shortly after he pulled me over, his partner (which I knew) pulled up and we had a 20 minute conversation while he wrote up the citation... the longest citation ever. I took it to court and they withheld adjudication with a very small court fee.

4rd Encounter: Ahhhh... this one was entertaining. Great cop and great guy, one of the most pleasant stops I've had in my series of unfortunate events. I was traveling from Tampa to Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale on a long, long work day. I was traveling Southbound on 95 when I was pulled over by St. Lucie County Sheriff going 92. While all the traffic was moving fast that day (85-90), I unfortunately was moving a hair faster. As soon as I saw him squatting behind his patrol car with his radar around a bend, I immediately pulled over. He came up to the car and I said, "Man when I saw you around the corner I was like crap." He started laughing and said, "Hey you gotta pick it up; the fastest of the day was 115." I told him I had a firearm in the glovebox, he removed it while I retrieved my information and he wrote me a very discounted ticket a few minutes later. We talked a bit more, I thanked him and then we took off.

Accidents:

Zero. Nada. There have been two very close near misses of people hitting me. One was a lady that was high or something was trying to cross towards a median when I was on the other side of a semi truck. Just before she struck my right front fender, I caught it in the corner of my eye and swerved towards the median then pulled a 180 drift to stop myself from heading into oncoming traffic. While some witnesses stopped to check on me, she continued like it never happened... South Florida. While my adrenaline was pumping at the moment, I went back and looked at the dash cam footage later and I kind of felt proud of myself as it was some seriously skillful ****. Another was a man when I was parked at a red light. I am always vigilant when it comes to checking my mirrors and this time, it paid off. While I was stopped at a red light, I saw in my rear view mirror a car moving way too fast to stop with the distance it had. I reacted by pulling up horizontally in front of the other car next to me and the car that almost hit me jetted halfway through the intersection before coming to a stop and at that rate, he just continued. The car I pulled in front of talked a bit about it then we went on about our day.

Credit:

There's really not much in this section, but I don't have the best credit. I got some small limit credit cards when I was younger and was stupid with them. Total outstanding debt is under 1000 and I'm in the process of paying it back; my Discover just reported good standing last month.

Thank you for reading my shenanigans and I appreciate your honest opinions. I apologize in advance for any grammatical errors as I did not proof this at all before posting.

Note: Only 2 out of the 4 tickets were convictions where points were assessed.

Just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
                    You're driving 90+ but it's ok and not really your fault .You should continue with this way of thinking throughout the process. I'm sure the FHP Troopers making the hiring decision will totally understand.

Your tire alignment was good and you were just following the road and you didn't see the sign and I'm a good driver and and and
                    I never said it wasn't my fault. Of course I was speeding in every instance, intentionally or non-intentionally. I still "speed" on freeways on a daily basis. 85% of the drivers on the road or more do, and the cops are even worse. Hypocritical. Average cruising speeds on 95 and Turnpike down here is 75-80, sometimes more depending on conditions. When multiple cars are flying past Troopers on Turnpike in WPB at 80-90 mph and Troopers just sit there and watch them fly by, is it because they're not doing their job, they don't care, they're simply undermanned, because there's a presumed speed limit for the road or all of the above? Someone has to do the job or no one will-- no one is a Saint and every soul is guilty, caught or not. If you're telling me someone is going to walk in a flat out tell them, "Yeah, I always drive the exact speed limit all the time, nothing more," not only are they're straight bull****ting their mind out, they'd be causing more of a hazard than moving relative to everyone else. If I hadn't gotten a promotion this year and wasn't required to travel long distance around the state constantly, I'd have zero citations and they wouldn't have a clue. As someone that designs and builds commercial communication networks for a living, that doesn't seem like a very effective system. All I can do IS tell them the truth and if they don't like it, what more can one do. Lie? Law Enforcement officers don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by AtlCop View Post
                      Based off what I've read in your original post and the subsequent responses, the chances of you having a successful law enforcement career are very slim.
                      I can agree with you. I have a major issue with unwarranted authority and I listen selectively. I don't like associating with people I presume as stupid or less knowledgeable than me. I like to take initiative and lead, I rarely follow. I'm egotistic, I have a cynical attitude and I'm conceited. However, conversely I am fair, I am rational, I have an impeccable work ethic and I love solving problems. I'm the guy that sits down for hours after everyone has given up trying to find new and better solutions/conclusions. I'm also the guy that spends all his off time further expanding his knowledge above and beyond expectations. My company loves me now because of that; my team is currently leading the state and I'm probably going to be up for another promotion. However, just because I'm good at what I do doesn't mean I like what I do. The primary reason I want to pursue Law Enforcement is because I want to contribute in making a difference. Yes, I'd likely be terrible with a lot of what Law Enforcement deals with, but on the contrary possibly a great detective/analyst among other things. I'm well educated and I'm a thinker—I think LE agencies can use more people like me.

Comment

• just joe
                        just joe commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Your negative character traits outweigh your positive ones. You will have difficulty with the people you police, your peers, and your supervisors. You will probably not remain employed long enough to worry about being a detective or an analyst.

• haileyboy23
                        haileyboy23 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Negative to some, but I consider it an asset. It has served me well thus far and it may or may not in this scenario as well. Never know until I try. Thanks for responding.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8090 users online. 249 members and 7841 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X