300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I still have a chance?

As a younger guy I've made dumb mistakes. Weed 1 gram weed possesion 2014. Another weed possesion 1 gram in 2015. I recieved 2 reckless driving in 2014 when I first recieved my license, they were downgraded. 3 carless driving in 2014 aswell. I know I was beyond stupid. Gets worse, i drove suspended 6 times which was my biggest mistake and landed me in jail for 10 days. After that i really learned my lesson. Been citation free since august 2016. Realistacilly I dont see how any agency would over look these habitual offenses but i also hear that if you give it 3 or 5 years it can help your chances. Other than a bad mvr I'm a well rounded responisble guy (23) I have been a successful cell phone business owner and have been able to have a great savings. However I always wanted a career in law enforcement and would like to hear your opinions on my situation and advice. Im from NJ by the way.

Originally posted by Visualize779 View Post
    As a younger guy I've made dumb mistakes. Weed 1 gram weed possesion 2014. Another weed possesion 1 gram in 2015. I recieved 2 reckless driving in 2014 when I first recieved my license, they were downgraded. 3 carless driving in 2014 aswell. I know I was beyond stupid. Gets worse, i drove suspended 6 times which was my biggest mistake and landed me in jail for 10 days. After that i really learned my lesson. Been citation free since august 2016. Realistacilly I dont see how any agency would over look these habitual offenses but i also hear that if you give it 3 or 5 years it can help your chances. Other than a bad mvr I'm a well rounded responisble guy (23) I have been a successful cell phone business owner and have been able to have a great savings. However I always wanted a career in law enforcement and would like to hear your opinions on my situation and advice. Im from NJ by the way.
    Not a snowball's chance in hell. Not anywhere in NJ anyway.

Comment

Thanks for your bluntly honest response. I know its bad but I dont understand how they hire people with dui's. Thats what made me have a little hope.

Comment

You have a PATTERN of repeated irresponsible, criminal behavior as an adult...most of it quite recent in terms of a background check. Such a pattern is considerably worse than most individual violations (though, realistically, most departments wouldn't touch a person with a recent DUI, either).
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Thanks for your response. I know my mvr makes me look like a terrible guy but I have good attributes in customer service and managing my business. Never touched any other drug or been voilent. It was a mistake to buy a fast car at a young age. Some of us are hard headed when younger and learn the hard way but I can confidelty say I matured when it comes to being behind the wheel.

Comment

• haileyboy23
            haileyboy23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell man, if this is something you really want to do, go and do it. Nothing is stopping you and nothing is impossible. I personally know people with MUCH much worse that found jobs in LE. It took them a lot of work and time, but they got there. I've spotted a trend of people on this forum being berated for things like 2 speeding tickets on record. Apply and find out for yourself. Sometimes you'd be surprised of the outcome.

• haileyboy23
            haileyboy23 commented
            Editing a comment
            Also, a lot of other states are hurting for cops. There's some areas in Florida that are practically begging for people to sign up.

Thanks for your bluntly honest response. I know its bad but I dont understand how they hire people with dui's. Thats what made me have a little hope.
          Maybe add a couple of DUIs to your rap sheet and see if it improves your chances. Linden PD might hire you then. Google police officer Pedro Abad to learn about one of their poster boys...

Seriously, it's not going to happen. There's no shortage of highly qualified applicants in NJ. Some other areas in the country are hurting for applicants and MIGHT give you a shot in a few more years. I'd wish you good luck...but I honestly don't believe you belong in law enforcement.

Comment

I respect your opinion and thanks for your time. I just thought with a few years of good driving it would show some maturity. I talk with a few cops from nj here and they say they've seen people get hired with worse stuff.

Comment

The insurance manager wouldn't even let you sit in the passenger seat, let alone drive a fleet car. Someone may eventually hire you, but you have demonstrated a clear pattern of reckless disregard of the law.

Comment

I respect your opinion and thanks for your time. I just thought with a few years of good driving it would show some maturity. I talk with a few cops from nj here and they say they've seen people get hired with worse stuff.
                You can always apply and see what happens. Maybe ask your cop buddies to put in a good word for you with THEIR agencies if they think you're a good fit.

Comment

Thanks for your time. I guess I will have to wait for many years to demonstrate positive behavior. I can imagine giving the chief anxiety looking at my mvr.

Comment

Many times hiring ultimately comes down to just one thing: LIABILITY.

No department in their right mind would want that kind of liability. The first time you're involved in an on duty accident your driving history is going to get dragged up...and the department is going to have a hard time justifying why they hired a guy from The Fast and the Furious.

Comment

You have every right to say that. I was a fool. Worst part about it is my parents have never recieved a traffic citation before. I have no words to say how stupid I was. I'm just glad i turned things around. I wouldnt be considering if I didn't feel like a more mature person. I respect law enforcement, never been rude to a cop. And i would never once think about this job if hadnt felt more mature.

Comment

Thanks for your activeness in respoding. I respect your opinions. The fast and the furious thing made me laugh. I'll probably wait a few more years. I've given thought of joining the military to let time pass and show a positive action.

Comment

Probably a DQ at most agencies in my area. You might have a shot in 5-10 years if you stay out of trouble

Comment

I've been told to wait and not try incase I get a DQ it could lessen my chances in the future. It sucks that my bad behavior is preventing me from being a considerable candidate. I would've loved to start at a young age :/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13137 users online. 388 members and 12749 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X