300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contracts---legal?

I signed a 3 yr contract with a dept that DID NOT SPONSER ME for the academy, I came from another state. I was looking @ the contract and they are charging me (if I break the contract) over $11,000 for 11 weeks of MY PAY AND MY FTO'S PAY. Now to me, this is something the city would have paid anyway, so how am I responsible for this? Has anyone ever broken a contract or know if they can really make you liable to pay even though they didnt spend money on you for the academy? Anyone know any lawyers that can help?
    DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Many departments up this way use them as well. I've heard some say that they are not enforceable, but others have said they are...I personally don't know.

Comment

Signed in duress?!?!?!?!!

Comment

It's a civil issue that's part of the requirement to be hired with that department. Our department has a 5 year contract and will come after you for roughly $8k in training expenses, FTO pay, uniforms bought/issued, etc.

If the department wants it bad enough, then they will take you to civil court. Even if you win, you will spend a few thousand doing it.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Contracts Legal?

Your question is best put to an attorney,preferably one who does a lot of contract law.

Comment

The academy is only a part of the money they put into training you. Most new hires cost the department between $50,000 and $100,000 the first year. $11,000 is actually really cheap.

Comment

yeah but the DIDNT TRAIN ME, I CAME FORM ANOTHER STATE AND THEY WANT ME TO REPAY FOR 11 WEEKS OF MY SALARY AND AN FTO SALARY

Originally posted by jakflak
              The academy is only a part of the money they put into training you. Most new hires cost the department between $50,000 and $100,000 the first year. $11,000 is actually really cheap.
              DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Kycop28
                yeah but the DIDNT TRAIN ME, I CAME FORM ANOTHER STATE AND THEY WANT ME TO REPAY FOR 11 WEEKS OF MY SALARY AND AN FTO SALARY
                If you had so much of a problem with it that you must yell over the internet... why did you sign the contract? Many departments require a contract even if they don't sponsor you through the academy. They can't stop you from breaking the contract, but they can certainly sue you and get the money (plus court costs).

Comment

1) I'm trying to help answer your question, so STOP YELLING AT ME.

2) When they FTO anyone, they pay two salaries for one police position. They're paying you and your FTO. If it was just a question of getting the work done, they would just send your FTO by him/herself. But the point is to train you, so it costs them double for less than the output of one officer (because you still have to do DOR's and all that crap). They want you to pay that back.

If you disagree, hire a lawyer and go to court to fight it, but don't argue with the bearer of bad news. You made the commitment and signed the contract, not me.

Comment

I think what he's trying to say is that if he doesn't require FTO training, seeing as he's an academy grad with possible time on a previous department, then why would he be liable for repaying the costs for something that doesn't apply to him. I could be wrong, but that's my take. Like all other said, best bet is to check with an attorney. Get all your academy documentation, anything you may have had for LEO prior to this department, and the contract and sit down and have them look it over. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
                      I think what he's trying to say is that if he doesn't require FTO training, seeing as he's an academy grad with possible time on a previous department, then why would he be liable for repaying the costs for something that doesn't apply to him. I could be wrong, but that's my take. Like all other said, best bet is to check with an attorney. Get all your academy documentation, anything you may have had for LEO prior to this department, and the contract and sit down and have them look it over. Good luck.
                      I don't know about Kentucky, but in my state you have to go through FTO when you lateral in no matter what. It doesn't matter what training you've already had. If you've already been through the academy, you don't have to go again (unless you're from out of state, then you go through a 2 week academy).

Comment

It goes both ways. A few of the smaller departments with smaller budgets may go after you, but the larger departments with multimillion dollar budgets may write it off as a loss. Which do you work for? (if its in the contract, and was explained to you, you may have to talk to a lawyer before taking further action. You wouldn't want your current dept. to affect your future job prospects)

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Even though you might have prior experience from another state or department you still need to be trained to work the way the current state and agency works. Sure the job is the same but the laws are different, policies are different.

You agreed to the contract by signing it therefore they can try to enforce the contract in court. Did you read it before you signed it?

Comment

Was you FTO period 11 weeks? If so, that is where that number comes from. You paid for your own academy but it doesn't sound like they are trying to come after you for that...just the money spent on you. Had they paid for your academy, I'm sure they would be coming after you for a lot more.

At our agency, we have a 3 year contract that would require payment for the academy and additional training (for some reason does not cover FTO). I've heard from both sides that its applicable and that its not enforceable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5934 users online. 318 members and 5616 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X