300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appropriate dress for interview

I'm preparing to apply for the MSP and I know that I should dress professionally but do you think a dress suit, pant suit, or dress pants and a Blazer would be better for the interview process? Also, I have to buy new clothing for the interview so should I have a different outfit for each part of the hiring process or can I bounce between say two? Cash is kind of tight so I'm trying to space my spending apart. I'm just worried I guess about not making a good first impression. I really want this to go well so I'm nervous.

A suit you look professional in (no blazers), and no, don’t buy multiple suits, change blouses out. Save your money.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Ok thank you so much.

Comment

If you haven't even applied, you're putting the cart before the horse here. Because 90% of applications go in the 'no' pile....
        People get on, people get off, but the train never stops.

Comment

• LivingLife3141
          LivingLife3141 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh.... Well I was just preparing everything and I wanted to make sure. It's like a one less thing to worry about situation. But thank you for replying.

Which MSP?

Comment

• Aerohead
          Aerohead commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like they're in Michigan.

• LivingLife3141
          LivingLife3141 commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in Michigan

When I meet with an applicant, punctuality and proper attire is the first thing I address. Meaning this: if you’re on time and dressed appropriately, I will tell you. If you show up late, or you aren’t dressed properly or you fail to brush your teeth, shave, or get a haircut, I will tell you and then write it in my report. If you show up in jeans and a t shirt, I send you home.
        Last edited by reils49; 01-03-2019, 09:16 PM.
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

• LivingLife3141
          LivingLife3141 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok thank you. Good to know.

I showed up to every part of the hiring process wearing a suit and tie, clean shaven and squared away and early.

You will never be at a disadvantage by dressing up. If it doesn’t explicitly say what the attire is, wear a suit.

Comment

• LivingLife3141
          LivingLife3141 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the response

Any of the dress types you mentioned are fine with me, and we consider all of them to be appropriate attire for an interview. It is probably cheaper to change blouses and accessories than to buy new clothes.

Comment

What will the people interviewing and observing you be wearing? If they wear three-piece suits, wear a conservative suit that fits. If they are in uniform, your “uniform” should still be a suit or conservative blazer/tie/slacks/dress shoes. (What would you wear in court?) If they wear jeans and polo shirts, still wear a blazer and slacks. It just sends a positive first impression and there is no downside in over dressing. You can always remove your tie and/or jacket if invited to do so, but you can never dress up to a higher standard once you show up.

Years ago, I showed up for my first day of work in a suit and everybody else was dressed as if they had just left the set of Miami Vice. I got some good-natured ribbing, but survived. Much later in my career, I interviewed an applicant for a fed LEO position. I was in a suit and he wore jeans and a Ruger t-shirt. The only positive thing that came out of that interview was that he showed me he knew how to dress comfortably.
        Last edited by Rockriver; 01-04-2019, 12:53 PM.

Comment

• LivingLife3141
          LivingLife3141 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok yeah I was thinking a suit over dressing does seem better then under dressing. Thanks.

Every part of the hiring process (minus the physical agility, for obvious reasons) I wore a suit and tie. Candidates who were dressed more casually were shown the door. No need for multiple suits, one is fine.
        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5366 users online. 229 members and 5137 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X