300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know...

what someone's profession is? (dumb curiosity kicking in here)

I've seen a few posts around the forum stating, "I don't ticket [insert list of professions here]". How do you know if someone's a nurse/FF/doctor/etc? Is this something that normally comes up in conversation during a traffic stop?

Note: this thread isn't meant to start a debate about the ethics of who y'all ticket, just how you know who does what for a living...

On my depts citations there is a blank for employer's name and phone for contact informatoin. I routinely ask the violator for their employer and work number before i go back to my squad and write the citation. Its usualy druing their response that they tell me thay are a nurse,doctor,figherfigher, etc.

Comment

We have nothing on our tickets for employer info, I usually know because people always seem to worm it out somehow to try and get out of the summons.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt
        Is this something that normally comes up in conversation during a traffic stop?
        For OD fire fighters, there's no need for conversation, you'll know. Typically, there will be several subtle clues, that the person you have stopped is a FF.

1. Vehicle(red pick up usually) is meticulously detailed, inside and out, from the under carriage, to the engine compartment.

2. Fire fighter decal affixed to rear wind shield.

3. Complaining, he actually had to go to a call last night.

4. Wanting to file a police report, for the apple pie one of the other FF's stole out of the fridge, while he was on his twenty one day off rotation

The other professionals will usually(not always) let you know.
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

For OD fire fighters, there's no need for conversation, you'll know. Typically, there will be several subtle clues, that the person you have stopped is a FF.

1. Vehicle(red pick up usually) is meticulously detailed, inside and out, from the under carriage, to the engine compartment.

4. Wanting to file a police report, for the apple pie one of the other FF's stole out of the fridge, while he was on his twenty one day off rotation
          You forgot about the Fire Fighter license plates and all of the turnout gear he “Forgot" to take out of the back seat.

FF wives are really good about blurting out their husbands profession's to LE.

Comment

Originally posted by mlhelleckson
            FF wives are really good about blurting out their husbands profession's to LE.
            Ain't that the truth, they must teach that on day one of the fire academy

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop

The other professionals will usually(not always) let you know.

Thats great.... dont forget about the standard issue cheesy mustache and fire department T-shirt/hat worn off duty.

Comment

1.) Firefighters (already covered)
                2.) Nurses (E.R. only are exempt..all others are fair game)
                a. wearing scrubs with E.R. R.N. badge conveniently hanging from a lanyard of on the rear view mirror.
                b. usually dating or married to a cop
                c. driving like a deuce from working 2 12 hour rotations
                d. driving a new cutesy car (VW / Miata) or if married to cop , Beemer (cop drives the crappy pickup)
                3.) Doctors will always announce where they work, who they work for and that they are on a call. Driving something totally outrageously expensive unless they are interns. always toss out the "Doctor" card.
                4.) Lawyers sometimes will say they are a lawyer to scare you into thinking they know how to beat your ticket.(D.A.'s only have any sort of leeway...unless they suck). Drive better cars than doctors unless they are crappy lawyers.
                5.) Influential Political Figures: Always shameless in tossing out their title, position, name drops and influence. Drive anything depending on the size of fish in a particular pond.
                6.) Misc: Friends of cops....family members of cops....neighbors of cops....mechanics of cops....will almost always try a name drop.

Most of the "so-called" exempt people will announce who they are...back it up with an ID or business card and will look the part. You usually don't have to guess who they are or where they work. They will use it to their advantage if they are so inclined and will go out of their way to use it if it has worked in the past.

Comment

No matter your occupation, if you get a ticket, you probably deserved it.
                  -Stay safe

Comment

Without a hospital ID being displayed or some type uniform, I don't know what one's job is. But if I do know, I don't normally write a person who in the next moment may be saving my life.
                    Last edited by Blueribbon; 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM.
                    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by J_Mann
                      No matter your occupation, if you get a ticket, you probably deserved it.

This really is not the topic.

Comment

Hey, am I except? I'm a 5th cousin twice removed from a roomate who once new a friend who meet someone at the bus stop who declared they knew some one who dated a cop 5 years ago? It' didn't work out but I still think I should get a break.

Of course, all exceptions are except from CHP. I think they would write their dying mother a ticket on the way to the funeral. Then show up for court. I've even heard from other cops, they slow down where CHP patrols.

Comment

Terrible speller...would that help me get out of a ticket? Doctors have bad hand writing...

Comment

Originally posted by Reach_Ray View Post

Of course, all exceptions are except from CHP. I think they would write their dying mother a ticket on the way to the funeral. Then show up for court. I've even heard from other cops, they slow down where CHP patrols.
                            I have heard that from some other people who aren't really cops. In 24 years (except for only a couple notorious individuals out of the 7000-something officers in the CHP) I really don't know anyone in the CHP who NEVER give a break. Pretty broad assumption you make there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3260 users online. 201 members and 3059 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X