• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TedMosby
    started a topic How to obtain w-2's

How to obtain w-2's

Hello all,

I have recently (as in today) been asked to provide them w-2's from every employer i have had in the last 15 years. I have already submitted my eSOPH (11/2018) and the BI contacted me today and is requesting w-2's from each employer. My deadline is in the next 48 hours as my i will not have access to my eSOPH afterwards. How do i get all my w-2's from prior employer's within the last 15 years? I don't have any saved as i had never had the reason or been taught, until now, to save them. Thank you for your help.

• eagleI
    replied
    It is recommended that you save your tax returns for 7 years in case you get audited by the IRS.

Leave a comment:

• TedMosby
    commented on 's reply
    Yes. I called again to clarify cuz what was originally said didn’t seem right. They still want W-2’s from any employer I did not have contact information for. Been calling like 6 different jobs and trying to deal with customer service 1800 numbers all day. A lot of those employers don’t even keep record of my time there as it’s not longer required to keep since the time frame as passed. The BI told me every time a previous applicant could not get any contact information they were at least able to get a W-2 for the employment instead. I’m not sure if he is using w-2 to just “verify” I worked there when I said I did or if he wants contact information to employer reference check.

But I was able to figure this whole thing out with “The Work Number.” With the exception of 1 job that went out of biz in 2009, I was only working there for like 3-4 weeks before it down.

• westside popo
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not telling him it's not necessary. Was just giving my opinion on what I would. I've seen requests on back ground packet before that I didn't feel comfortable giving. So i droped out of the process for those departments.

If OP is fine with it then great.

• westside popo
    replied
    Originally posted by TedMosby View Post
    Yeah i'm not sure why exactly they need W-2's. Don't BI typically call the past employers and if they cant get a hold of someone from HR or the supervisor, they just move on to the next employer? I mean some of the employers i listed are no longer in business and i don't remember the supervisor name and contact information. So the BI said if i can't get a number and email for the employer's then they will need w-2's of the employment. The IRS w-2 transcript for myself doesn't even go back 15 years. The EIN on the transcript is X'd out except for the last 4 digits of the EIN and they employer address isn't even listed so idk how a W-2 transcript would even work.

When i spoke to the BI, he didn't seem like he cared to help or offer an alternative. I told him some of the employer contact information i didn't list was because the employer told me they don't verify employment over the phone for security and confidentiality purposes; they use "the work number" instead for employment verification..
    So you only need the w-2s for the employers you don't have contact information?

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by westside popo View Post
    What good will a w-2 do them? I have a copy of mine going back a few years but not that far back. Some of the part time jobs I had are no longer in business.

I would withdraw from the process and look else where. That's just my opinion.
    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    No reason for W-2s at all. You aren’t taking out a loan...
    I have never heard of it either HOWEVER if they are requiring the W2..........who are we to tell the guy it's not necessary

Leave a comment:

• TedMosby
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah make sense now. But i've never thought it would EVER been needed down the road. Never had a potential job have a problem with contacting past employers. They were usually just looking for any major gaps in employment and how long you stayed at each job. This is the first time i've been going through the LE hiring process. There's been a lot of "you should save this in case you need it for other dept's applications and hiring processes" moments so i am learning a lot now.

• L-1
    replied
    I guess I'm different. I've always kept copies of my income tax returns for as long as I've been filing them. Attached to the front page of each return is the employee copy of my W-2 for that year.

Leave a comment:

• TedMosby
    replied
    Yeah i'm not sure why exactly they need W-2's. Don't BI typically call the past employers and if they cant get a hold of someone from HR or the supervisor, they just move on to the next employer? I mean some of the employers i listed are no longer in business and i don't remember the supervisor name and contact information. So the BI said if i can't get a number and email for the employer's then they will need w-2's of the employment. The IRS w-2 transcript for myself doesn't even go back 15 years. The EIN on the transcript is X'd out except for the last 4 digits of the EIN and they employer address isn't even listed so idk how a W-2 transcript would even work.

When i spoke to the BI, he didn't seem like he cared to help or offer an alternative. I told him some of the employer contact information i didn't list was because the employer told me they don't verify employment over the phone for security and confidentiality purposes; they use "the work number" instead for employment verification..

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    No reason for W-2s at all. You aren’t taking out a loan...

Leave a comment:

• westside popo
    replied
    What good will a w-2 do them? I have a copy of mine going back a few years but not that far back. Some of the part time jobs I had are no longer in business.

I would withdraw from the process and look else where. That's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• TedMosby
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

You need to contact the individual employers and they can re-issue them.

HINT
    You are not going to make the 48 hr deadline
    Okay thank you for the information. I did not know this was possible. I just thought you only got it once for filing taxes and that was it. I will be calling employer's today and tomorrow. Fortunately, i spoke with the BI about the trouble i was having and he is extending the access to the 31st. Thanks again for the help!

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by TedMosby View Post
    Hello all,

I have recently (as in today) been asked to provide them w-2's from every employer i have had in the last 15 years. I have already submitted my eSOPH (11/2018) and the BI contacted me today and is requesting w-2's from each employer. My deadline is in the next 48 hours as my i will not have access to my eSOPH afterwards. How do i get all my w-2's from prior employer's within the last 15 years? I don't have any saved as i had never had the reason or been taught, until now, to save them. Thank you for your help.
    You need to contact the individual employers and they can re-issue them.

HINT
    You are not going to make the 48 hr deadline

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7093 users online. 289 members and 6804 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X