300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatch job.

Well, I am trying to get into a police academy in WI. The program coordinator back in Feb/March told me that the interviews for self-sponsorships would be either the week of April 16-20 or April 23-27. I didn't hear anything from anyone there last week. So, I emailed the program coordinator twice, but still haven't received an email reply back. I've emailed her quite a few times before applying asking her questions about the Academy. Now, that it's going on week 2, and I haven't heard back from her, or from anyone at the Academy, I am getting nervous. Does this mean that I probably wasn't selected for an interview? Also, providing that I don't get into this, I possibly have the opportunity to take a 911 dispatching job. I have no prior experience with this, but they will train. What are you LEO's thoughts on this? I am not sure if I would enjoy this or not. I like being out and about, and I enjoy going on calls (Internship), so I am not so sure if I would really enjoy dispatch. During my Internship I briefly sat in there, but not long enough to know if it's something I could really see myself doing full-time. I really want to be a cop, but I'm not sure if I should jump on this opportunity. What are all of your thoughts about the dispatcher position, as well as the Academy situation?

When I started getting into LE, my first idea was to get into Dispatch due to my not having any prior LE experience. The officer that was assisting my move into LE told me not to do it because 1) I was too old to start so far on the bottom and 2) I would not like it. So I decided to follow his advice and go to the academy instead. Great pay off and I am loving it! I do apprieciate how hard Dispatchers work and how nerve racking it would be to be sitting there when you feel as if there is something more you could be doing to help the officer who is in need of help. The Dispatcher is our true life line out there and a very important job in my eyes but personally, I could not sit there for 12 hours and not have my hands more into the action. So, I guess it is a personal preference. Good luck and by the way, if you are not hearing anything back from anyone... Personally call or go there and find out. Haste makes waste I hear.

Comment

I was a 911 operator/dispatcher for about 8 months prior to starting police academy with a different agency. I think it helped me because I learned the radio system, the codes, how police talk, and also got a good idea of what police can and cannot do. I learned about criminal vs. civil issues, warrants and writs, and a host of other little things that came in handy later. You can get more insight dispatching than you might think.

Any foot in the door is just that.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I have to agree with cruiser. I just accepted and have begun a dispatcher position with a local department. Now I in no way plan to make a career of it and plan to become an officer in the near future. It does however get me more experience in the LE field and will look good to the departments I apply to. Depending on where you are currently working I'd highly recommend thinking about taking the position. The pay is decent and the experience and connections you will make will pay dividends when it comes time to apply for another department.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5621 users online. 336 members and 5285 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X