300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not passing firearms quals during initial training

So I just started as an officer and our pre-academy training g included firearms range training with the pistol and rifle ( 1 week each). At the end of the pistol week. I was not able to score a qualifying score after multiple attempts. Does anybody know or have experience of what will happen? We are supposed to have rifle training today but I was sent to study policy and have a meeting later this afternoon. Thanks!

For us (huge CA agency) if a recruit fails one of the mandated POST "learning domains" they are given remedial training and then retested in what they failed.

If they fail that test again (what is referred to as 'double tapping' they are separated from the academy....that is a mandatory separation per POST
    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

You will probably get a second chance after some remedial training......................I highly doubt any agency would allow you more than that.

You would then be separated from the academy and terminated from the job.

It happens more than you would think.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I guess you'll find out later this afternoon. Is this a "just see how you do" phase, or a mandatory pass phase?

Comment

• artyom90
          artyom90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Not really sure they didn't even tell us prior that this was a requirement.

• Iowa #1603
          Iowa #1603 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you REALLY think you could be a cop without being proficient in weapons?????????

So.....? How'd it go?
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by artyom90 View Post
          So I just started as an officer and our pre-academy training g included firearms range training with the pistol and rifle ( 1 week each). At the end of the pistol week. I was not able to score a qualifying score after multiple attempts. Does anybody know or have experience of what will happen? We are supposed to have rifle training today but I was sent to study policy and have a meeting later this afternoon. Thanks!
          you have an afternoon meeting instead of more range time and this is PRE Academy.

That does not sound good.

semper destravit

Comment

I’m betting he’s done. Pity, as the requirement to carry a firearm will soon be lifted the way LE is being rewritten.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• RGDS
              RGDS commented
              Editing a comment
              The idea of an unarmed police is growing, but there is no serious immediate effort... yet.

I'm glad that police departments and academies seem to be getting tougher on their firearms training standards.

It was only a few years ago that my state actually mandated a standard test of firearm proficiency. When it first came out, something like 40% of the officers in the state failed to qualify. They modified the test a bit since then, which increased pass rates, but it's still what I (an intermediate-level shooter) would call challenging.

This idea of pre-academy firearms training and testing intrigues me. Back in my academy, we covered Firearms training near the end, and the pass standard was very minimal. I thought it was odd that you'd keep something like that until the end, as you'd see a lot of people fail to pass (and thus be unable to complete Academy). A week's training isn't much, especially for someone who's never held, much less fired, a firearm. But if that person can't pass what is probably a very minimal standard after a week's instruction, maybe that person needs additional work before doing the full-blown academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11833 users online. 475 members and 11358 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X