Ad JS

Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting DQ’d and it’s effects on future employment

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Getting DQ’d and it’s effects on future employment

    I’ll try to keep this short. Long story short, I was #1 applicant at 2 different agencies in the last few years. However, during the polygraph pre-test questions I made some admissions to some lurid sexual escapades in my youth. I’m talking stuff that happened like 15 years ago. Nothing illegal, but definitely not what some would consider morale or flattering. Consequently both agencies immediately cut ties. Wouldn’t respond to emails or phone calls, etc. I tried to get them to explain to me why they were cutting me off when I was honest like they asked, but they wouldn’t budge.

    so I think that police work isn’t going to work out for me. Will the negative polygraph experience hurt me in seeking jobs in other fields? I am looking at other service jobs such as firefighting, emt, the military, intelligence, or perhaps going to law school. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice.




    Thank you

  • #2
    First you have to figure out what you really want to do. You say you have a degree, however, you are ALL over the place on career choices. Fix that first.

    Poly WILL impact you if you choose to go work for an agency that uses them.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jfntsjks View Post
      I’ll try to keep this short. Long story short, I was #1 applicant at 2 different agencies in the last few years. However, during the polygraph pre-test questions I made some admissions to some lurid sexual escapades in my youth. I’m talking stuff that happened like 15 years ago. Nothing illegal, but definitely not what some would consider morale or flattering. Consequently both agencies immediately cut ties. Wouldn’t respond to emails or phone calls, etc. I tried to get them to explain to me why they were cutting me off when I was honest like they asked, but they wouldn’t budge.

      so I think that police work isn’t going to work out for me. Will the negative polygraph experience hurt me in seeking jobs in other fields? I am looking at other service jobs such as firefighting, emt, the military, intelligence, or perhaps going to law school. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice.




      Thank you
      Are you the one with the dog and the peanut butter?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by westside popo View Post

        Are you the one with the dog and the peanut butter?
        Or another inebriated turtle-f*cker?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          First you have to figure out what you really want to do. You say you have a degree, however, you are ALL over the place on career choices. Fix that first.

          Poly WILL impact you if you choose to go work for an agency that uses them.
          Well what I really want to do is be a cop. I worked really hard for many years to build my resume to become a cop, apparently all for nothing. I’ve been working in Corrections for years, got numerous accommodations, promotions, specialty training, instructor in DT, firearms, etc. numerous glowing recommendations from many friends in law enforcement. But apparently my history from 15+ years ago is too much for them to accept.

          I know the other careers are all over the place, but it’s kinda hard to focus on one field until I know that my DQ fom the PDs won’t kill my chances in that field. Everyone requires a background check, i just don’t know if my failed polys will come up on a background check that’s not for law enforcement. It would suck to work my *** off again for something only to get blacklisted again. I have a family to worry about not, so I can’t just be haphazard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jfntsjks View Post

            Well what I really want to do is be a cop. I worked really hard for many years to build my resume to become a cop, apparently all for nothing. I’ve been working in Corrections for years, got numerous accommodations, promotions, specialty training, instructor in DT, firearms, etc. numerous glowing recommendations from many friends in law enforcement. But apparently my history from 15+ years ago is too much for them to accept.

            I know the other careers are all over the place, but it’s kinda hard to focus on one field until I know that my DQ fom the PDs won’t kill my chances in that field. Everyone requires a background check, i just don’t know if my failed polys will come up on a background check that’s not for law enforcement. It would suck to work my *** off again for something only to get blacklisted again. I have a family to worry about not, so I can’t just be haphazard.
            Unless it's another law enforcement related job then I don't think the DQs will ever come up.

            Looks like you're doing good where you are. Why not stick with it?

            Some correctional agencies have their own investigators. And some of those are certified like cops on the street and have the same arrest authority. Have you looked into something like that?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by westside popo View Post

              Unless it's another law enforcement related job then I don't think the DQs will ever come up.

              Looks like you're doing good where you are. Why not stick with it?

              Some correctional agencies have their own investigators. And some of those are certified like cops on the street and have the same arrest authority. Have you looked into something like that?
              True. It’s kinda like a life hack. If your corrections department puts you through a police academy, then maybe you can lateral to a police department. I know a few folks that have done exactly that. Or like mentioned above some corrections department have actual police detectives. These detective investigate CO/employee misconduct, other are tasked out and work along the feds. They sometimes pick up maybe 1-2 COs put them through a police academy. Other times they bring in laterals.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by westside popo View Post

                Unless it's another law enforcement related job then I don't think the DQs will ever come up.

                Looks like you're doing good where you are. Why not stick with it?

                Some correctional agencies have their own investigators. And some of those are certified like cops on the street and have the same arrest authority. Have you looked into something like that?
                I got into this field as a spring board to becoming a police officer. I did grow to like it over time but corrections in general and my agency specifically leave a lot to be desired and it’s been slowly draining me. Frankly i have no pride in my employment here. I enjoy enforcement but I lack a feeling that I can do any good for anyone who deserves it. The only lives I get to impact are the lives of ungrateful criminals. I’ve dreamed of being on the streets. I’m definitely a hard charger and I feel like police work provides the best output for that and the best ability to impact peoples lives through work. I don’t mind shift work. I don’t mind overtime, or having ****ty days off.

                i LOVE being a leader, but our agency is so short staffed that we will literally hire just about anybody. The caliber of officer has deteriorated dramatically and consequently the work environment just gets worse and worse. I’m current a shift supervisor so I oversee the entire institution. Sometimes it’s a struggle to get staff to do their most basic of job functions. Police agencies seem to be so much better off because they can be selective and hire high caliber people. We don’t have that luxury

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 1RidgeRunner7 View Post

                  True. It’s kinda like a life hack. If your corrections department puts you through a police academy, then maybe you can lateral to a police department. I know a few folks that have done exactly that. Or like mentioned above some corrections department have actual police detectives. These detective investigate CO/employee misconduct, other are tasked out and work along the feds. They sometimes pick up maybe 1-2 COs put them through a police academy. Other times they bring in laterals.
                  Unfortunately while we attend the same physical academy as patrol, it’s an entirely different program, so it doesn’t allow you to lateral.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jfntsjks View Post

                    I got into this field as a spring board to becoming a police officer. I did grow to like it over time but corrections in general and my agency specifically leave a lot to be desired and it’s been slowly draining me. Frankly i have no pride in my employment here. I enjoy enforcement but I lack a feeling that I can do any good for anyone who deserves it. The only lives I get to impact are the lives of ungrateful criminals. I’ve dreamed of being on the streets. I’m definitely a hard charger and I feel like police work provides the best output for that and the best ability to impact peoples lives through work. I don’t mind shift work. I don’t mind overtime, or having ****ty days off.

                    i LOVE being a leader, but our agency is so short staffed that we will literally hire just about anybody. The caliber of officer has deteriorated dramatically and consequently the work environment just gets worse and worse. I’m current a shift supervisor so I oversee the entire institution. Sometimes it’s a struggle to get staff to do their most basic of job functions. Police agencies seem to be so much better off because they can be selective and hire high caliber people. We don’t have that luxury
                    It sounds like the last prison I worked at!

                    Unfortunately the prospects for new police officers isn't looking much better. We've had some certified laterals apply with some really questionable back grounds.

                    I even had one, I arrested for misdemeanor drug related offense apply and get hired at another department I use to work at.



                    Some of those inmates will get released one day. I guess the best you can do for them is be a positive role model. Some of them do change for the better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What the hell kind of poly asks about sex acts? Why the hell would you even answer questions about your sex life? Something isn't adding up to me.

                      Comment


                      • RaspiestShrimp
                        RaspiestShrimp commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've (successfully) done a solid handful-and-a-half of polygraphs and they all covered sexual history. After I completed one of my tests, the proctor mentioned that his single biggest disqualifying area is sex-acts with animals. According to him, he had DQ'd six candidates for this line of questioning in 2018.

                        I'm not sure what polygraphs you took, but this type of questioning was constant on all of mine.

                    • #12
                      Originally posted by Jfntsjks View Post
                      However, during the polygraph pre-test questions I made some admissions to some lurid sexual escapades in my youth. I’m talking stuff that happened like 15 years ago. Nothing illegal, but definitely not what some would consider morale or flattering.
                      Muskrat fun? Paw dipping? Flat tail stuff?
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Originally posted by USMCGrunt03 View Post
                        What the hell kind of poly asks about sex acts? Why the hell would you even answer questions about your sex life? Something isn't adding up to me.
                        Right? I'm having trouble coming up with any "lurid sex acts," that are legal yet disqualifying. My imagination is getting pretty creative, though!

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          I got asked about sex life on my 1st ever poly
                          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                          DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by USMCGrunt03 View Post
                            What the hell kind of poly asks about sex acts? Why the hell would you even answer questions about your sex life? Something isn't adding up to me.

                            every one that I have ever been involved in had sexual questions
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5805 users online. 224 members and 5581 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X