Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you just pay to get into the Police Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NickM
    started a topic Can you just pay to get into the Police Academy?

Can you just pay to get into the Police Academy?

Hi everyone I was wondering if you can't get into a police Academy such as the NYPD by passing the NYPD civil service exam could you still enter it through another way? I mean can you just pay money to enter it? Thanks!

• NickM
    replied
    Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

Yup. Had a Kindle for breakfast. Nom nom nom.
    Haha good one

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    Originally posted by NickM View Post

Oh very clever. Eat any good books lately?
    Yup. Had a Kindle for breakfast. Nom nom nom.

Leave a comment:

• NickM
    replied
    Originally posted by careerchange#2 View Post
    In the end, it comes down to a basic level standard that ALL applicants have to pass to enter an academy, whether it's pay-to-play or agency sponsored. Regardless of sexual orientation, sexual identity, visual/hearing impairment all applicants must pass their particular state standards, as established and vetted by a testing process like a psych eval or ability testing.

The issue here is you've admitted that you can't meet a minimum standard with your visual impairment. This doesn't mean you couldn't help or work in a civilian capacity, what it means is you can't be sworn. In many agencies, a sworn officer who is on light duty will have their powers administratively suspended since they can't meet an established standard. For example, a shift partner broke his wrist and couldn't shoot, so he couldn't carry a gun, so he sat a desk in plain clothes without a badge or gun until he healed and requalified.

On the flip side, I had a coworker suffer a stroke. He worked plain clothes in our record keeping office until the 1 year mark when his doctors told our boss he had progressed as far as he would and could not meet the minimum standards to be police. He was offered a civilian position but he opted to retire medically. Other folks in similar positions took the offer and became civilian employees. Don't be mistaken, our civilians are a huge part of why we succeed. We need people filing warrants, dispatching calls, working in admin, etc. Just because you can't be sworn doesn't mean you can't be an essential part of us.
    Thank you I really appreciate that. I believe that I'll ultimately do just that and look into the Civilian positions. Even though it seemed like a long shot I thought I would still look into being an actual police officer because I try and always fight for what I want as much as I can but you're right maybe a civilian job would be best for me.

Do you have any advice about what are the kind of skills that they look for? What should I be studying to make myself best qualified as I can? Thank you

Leave a comment:

• NickM
    replied
    Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

The same could be said for a blind man who thinks he should be hired as a sworn police officer...
    Oh very clever. Eat any good books lately?

Leave a comment:

• Ratatatat
    replied
    RE: Transgenderism.

I'm aware of two situations, same department.

One was an experienced officer, medically transitioned from F to M. Retired from original department, then took a retirement job at a small sheriff's department. Now is the sheriff.

The second officer, also experienced, began the transition from M to F. Things went sideways with department during process. EEO lawsuit filed. Employment ended with settlement in the hundred of thousands of dollars.

Takeaway: the cookie doesn't crumble the same for everyone in these situations...

Leave a comment:

• careerchange#2
    replied
    In the end, it comes down to a basic level standard that ALL applicants have to pass to enter an academy, whether it's pay-to-play or agency sponsored. Regardless of sexual orientation, sexual identity, visual/hearing impairment all applicants must pass their particular state standards, as established and vetted by a testing process like a psych eval or ability testing.

The issue here is you've admitted that you can't meet a minimum standard with your visual impairment. This doesn't mean you couldn't help or work in a civilian capacity, what it means is you can't be sworn. In many agencies, a sworn officer who is on light duty will have their powers administratively suspended since they can't meet an established standard. For example, a shift partner broke his wrist and couldn't shoot, so he couldn't carry a gun, so he sat a desk in plain clothes without a badge or gun until he healed and requalified.

On the flip side, I had a coworker suffer a stroke. He worked plain clothes in our record keeping office until the 1 year mark when his doctors told our boss he had progressed as far as he would and could not meet the minimum standards to be police. He was offered a civilian position but he opted to retire medically. Other folks in similar positions took the offer and became civilian employees. Don't be mistaken, our civilians are a huge part of why we succeed. We need people filing warrants, dispatching calls, working in admin, etc. Just because you can't be sworn doesn't mean you can't be an essential part of us.

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    I don't understand transgenderism. I can't relate to it. It admittedly even creeps me out a bit. BUT...I've been doing this job long enough to be able to set aside my personal feelings and not let them cloud my judgment or effect the way I treat people.

Would I jump at the opportunity to hire a qualified transgender applicant? No. Not because I didn't trust their ability to do the job...but because I wouldn't trust some of our officers to accept them as one of their own...which in turn would create drama...and everybody I work with knows that there's nothing I hate more than drama and having to referee between adults acting like children. So ultimately the transgender applicant would be turned down because they are "not a good fit for the department". Such is life.
    Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 12-30-2018, 09:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• not.in.MY.town
    replied
    Well call me old fashioned but if a man think that he is a woman than he is clearly dilusional
    The same could be said for a blind man who thinks he should be hired as a sworn police officer...

Leave a comment:

• NickM
    replied
    Well call me old fashioned but if a man think that he is a woman than he is clearly dilusional

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    commented on 's reply
    Agreed.

I challenged to OP to apply and find out.

• not.in.MY.town
    commented on 's reply
    RGDS Not every transgender person suffers from gender dysphoria.Those who do, likely wouldn't pass the psych exam.

• RGDS
    commented on 's reply
    Gender Dsyphoria IS a disorder. Gender Nonconformity is not. Beyond that l, I am not a psychiatrist. Seek professional opinion.

• not.in.MY.town
    replied

I bring up people like that because it's obvious that they suffer from an affliction. It's pretty obvious that is a mental illness that has a suicide rate of 20 times that of the national average. So yeah if someone is mentally ill I'm pretty sure that they shouldn't be on the job.
    Being transgender is not a mental illness. If they are able to pass the psychological testing, they are good to go.

FWIW, I'd rather work with a transgender officer than one that is hard of hearing. If I yell "cover me", the transgender officer will cover me. The deaf officer will go "Huh?" while I'm being shot at.

Leave a comment:

• RGDS
    replied
    How many transgender people are actually police officers?

The psychological evaluations you go through are pretty extensive.

If you think you can do it it, then don’t listen to us. Go out and apply. We can’t stop you.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8625 users online. 414 members and 8211 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X