300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Narc agent.

After many ride alongs and possibly getting sponsored I will be starting the academy in late May. Either self-sponsored or sponsored. Assuming I get hired I have been very interested in Narcotics. What is the best way to guide myself into getting to that specialization? I speak spanish and I am learning creole which is widely used here in FL. I am also young 19yo. What can you all recommend that I do to prepare myself for that specialization.

Also I am aware this will be in the future and I will have to complete my probationary period before considering narc but I am just trying to get some ideas.

Becoming a Narc

Unless you join the DEA or similiar agency, you're probably going to have do an "apprenticeship". What I mean by that is, that most City and County agencies require Officers to spend a few years in patrol before moving into Investigations. You might want to check into FDLE, to see what they might offer, but in all likelihood, you'll do some other type of investigative work as well. At age 19, you've got a little time to do some research, which is what I urge you to do. You might want to become involved in a Cadet program if one is offered fairly close to where you are. Regarding self sponsorship at an Academy. I'm not against that by any means, but it could mean you spending a lot of money, and not an inconsiderable amount of time, and at the end of the course, be unemployed as far as LE is concerned. Better to attend an Academy as a Recruit Officer drawing full pay and benefits.

Comment

Well I am basically already sponsored just have to take poly for one and oral for another department. I just needed to know once I get hired what to do to get to investigative.

Comment

After a minimum amount of time working in patrol (usually around 3 years) you will have an opportunity to apply for specality units like traffic or narcotics.

While in patrol spend time developing informants. Most of the guys I know that went from patrol to narcotics had provided the narcotic guys with good information and infromants. Usually when they would make an arrest for dope on the street they would talk with their suspect to see if they were game to "work" of their charges by doing controlled buys for the narc guys. If they were then they'd get a hold of the narcotics guys and let them work the informant. If the CI did some good buys and generated some good search warrants and arrests for the dope cops that usually would create a favorable reputation for that patrol officer with the narc guys.

When time comes for that officer to put in for a narcotics spot hopefully he will be remembered for the CIs he's generated.

Also, just being a hard worker as a patrol officer in general is very important.
        Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Great advise. I have a family member that is no longer around (divorce) He recently got hired and went from academy to narc in 2 years I was just wondering what he did to get in that fast and wanted to get some tips.I would ask him but no longer have contact with him.

Comment

Just enjoy your time in patrol first learn the streets and the area first before going into any special assignment, you are going to have other officers in the same boat as you and some that would just love to be a beat officer the whole time. Up at Fort Drum I worked in the traffic section alot of good times but I love patrol even to this day because that is where you get out and meet people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiloh
              Great advise. I have a family member that is no longer around (divorce) He recently got hired and went from academy to narc in 2 years I was just wondering what he did to get in that fast and wanted to get some tips.I would ask him but no longer have contact with him.
              Some departments have only a two year minimum before applying for special assignments.
              Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll keep this all in mind when I start.

Comment

While working patrol, develop of reputation for doing things right. Know your gig and treat every case as though its a major. The better your jacket looks, the better the chances of getting a speciality assignment. Something to think about with Narcs: be prepared for no personal life. Narcs work constantly, tend to be on call 24 hours a day seven days a week. That big buy you've been working on isn't going to stick to a schedule that's most convienent to you. It can be very rewarding work, but there is a personal cost for doing it.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                    Unless you join the DEA or similiar agency, you're probably going to have do an "apprenticeship".
                    And, even then, your chances of being hired without some law enforcement experience are low, unless you have some necessary special skill like a second language or something.

Like SWAT, the best way to get into specialized units, is to master the job of being a police officer first.

Comment

While your a patrol Officer or Deputy, take as many narc classes as you can. Departments are always offering training so take advantage of it, that's how you network with others in the field you want to get into. That's how I got into the mess I'm in now, just kidding.

Comment

Great info guys I'm starting to work on my Criminal justice degree and I will continue to go through with it as I become a Police officer. I will follow your advise of taking as many Narc related classes as I can. Great tips guys and great forum. Glad to join it.

Comment

Riviera Beach? Thats in South Florida! There are drugs in South Florida!?!?

j/k good luck!
                          Fear not the armed citizen but rather the government that tries to disarm him.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4074 users online. 181 members and 3893 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X