300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding between departments

I have two departments I am interested in working for. I have put in applications for both departments.
    Department A.) has better pay and is a better area
    Department B.) is a bad area with less pay

If I get lucky enough to get an offer of sponsorship from both departments

should I go with A.) for better pay or B.) for more and quicker experience

I

Do ride a longs and go where you fit in more with the people/culture, style of policing, community, etc. Being the police is a marathon career, not a sprint. You will get experience in time.
    Get low, get ground, get tactical! Sprawl! Sprawl! Sprawl!

Comment

Man, I was in that same boat while I have been a officer for 5 years in the military the rate of deployments were playing a toll on me. I had to pick between the NYPD,LAPD and the CMPD (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department) I am from IL, I tested with all three departments and started the process with two of the departments.

First the NYPD tested with them but after making a few calls to speak to my investigator and having him always away from his desk for example you call on monday leave a message and get a call maybe a week later plus the pay there is not up to par with what the cost of living is and also what you have to pay for during training everything.

Second LAPD I started their process pay if equal to what the cost of living is but that is also a move across the US.

Third and final the CMPD I start with them on the 14th of May after serving a total of 5 years as a military police officer they are one of the most military friendly departments in the US plus the level of training is by far one of the best you go well over the state required amount of hours the state says 600hrs CMPD says 1054hrs a big differents monday thru fridays 0750 until 0450, everything is given to you a laptop during the training that you can use to connect to the internet in class and also a MDT after for your squad car the 150th class that just finished 38 officers with over 100 years of military training and 65% had degrees and 5 females.

To finish things up go to the department that will make you happy because this is where you will call home yes pay is a factor also you have to be able to feed and house yourself or family so if it is a 10,000.00 differents well pay might win on that but a few thousand. I would pick the department which offers the most any day.

Comment

It's actually a 12k difference. I'm liking both departments. So I will do as you guys said and complete more ride alongs to make my decision. I will keep you guys updated.

Comment

One thing I have noticed over my career is that salaries are fluid. The agency that is the highest paid this year is at the bottom in a couple of years. They change constantly. Select the area where you want to work and the pay will take care of itself.
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP
            One thing I have noticed over my career is that salaries are fluid. The agency that is the highest paid this year is at the bottom in a couple of years. They change constantly. Select the area where you want to work and the pay will take care of itself.
            Bingo! When I started at my department, we were one of the lowest paid in the area, but now we're nearly at the top of the charts. The pendulum is starting to swing the other way though. Find the department that is the best fit for you. Look at available advancement opportunities, working conditions, and morale. Those things are a bit fluid as well, but are better indicator of how much you'll enjoy the long run.
            Originally posted by kontemplerande
            Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks I've been beginning to notice that as well. One department I was looking at boosted to the top three. Thanks.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5494 users online. 303 members and 5191 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X