Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Cops and the bulletproof vest. Advice Please.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Cops and the bulletproof vest. Advice Please.

I need to purchase a bulletproof vest, and am going to be working on a bicycle this summer, in the day time, in the hot sun. I would like advice on which brand/company is the best. Most important to be is being comfortable. I dont care about price as long as its not outragous. I dont have any knowledge on vests. Id rather spend more money on being comfortable ifs its within a couple hundred or so. Ive heard that you need to order vests and they can take some time. Im sure my department will guide me on what to order when the time comes, but I would like some outside feedback from officers that do bike patrols, or officers that have knowledge of different kinds of vests. Also, if it helps, im a big guy. 5'11, 240. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

I wear a second chance vest, get the thinest, can't remember the name, since its at the station, that or the Matrix or Zero G's are good.
    Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Vest are uncomfortable in hot weather no matter what brand, do purchase good undershirts like under armor. I wear under armor type material shirts that are sleevless. You can buy these in sport store for 10 to 15 bucks apiece. Always wear your vest. I also have 3 carriers so you can change out if too wet. I always dry my vest by an air condition vent at home after shift so ready to go next day. I bike patrol most of the year except winter.
      We will never for forget , in memory of "051", my baby brother, E.O.W. 09/23/98.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatrol
        Vest are uncomfortable in hot weather no matter what brand, do purchase good undershirts like under armor. I wear under armor type material shirts that are sleevless. You can buy these in sport store for 10 to 15 bucks apiece. Always wear your vest. I also have 3 carriers so you can change out if too wet. I always dry my vest by an air condition vent at home after shift so ready to go next day. I bike patrol most of the year except winter.
        How true! Our duty shirts are the Mocean stretch patrol shirts with the mesh side vents. These are not bad because the air helps out in keeping you cool.
        The Thin Blue Line!

Comment

Absolutely nothing better than UnderArmour heatgear under a vest. I've heard that there is also a Walmart brand, but I have not worn it.
          I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Hey, I am not sure exactly what kind of material is used, but it definitely does not have cotton in them. Some kind of polyester mix. I have to wear regular unifrom shirt, we might get new shirts with vents and reflective lettering this year, I hope we get them. Polo's would be nice.

There's nothing better than exercising and getting paid to do it. I love bike patrol, best assignment if you ask me. My Dept is does not have provide any good gear and I have to buy most myself. Have fun , be careful.
            We will never for forget , in memory of "051", my baby brother, E.O.W. 09/23/98.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatrol View Post
              Hey, I am not sure exactly what kind of material is used, but it definitely does not have cotton in them. Some kind of polyester mix. I have to wear regular unifrom shirt, we might get new shirts with vents and reflective lettering this year, I hope we get them. Polo's would be nice.

There's nothing better than exercising and getting paid to do it. I love bike patrol, best assignment if you ask me. My Dept is does not have provide any good gear and I have to buy most myself. Have fun , be careful.
              Im going to be in a polo shirt, all the departmetns aroundhere have polo's for the bikes. Im looking forward to the position. I'll drop some serious weight this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by dpatrol View Post

Try hitting your vest carrier with Lysol or Febreeze anti microbal after you hang it up. doing so will knock out any resiual odor from the sweat.

I use the Lysol and it is good to go. I sweat like a frickin' mother during the summer months in Ga.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4467 users online. 273 members and 4194 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X