300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly fight an unjust ticket

This is just for informational purposes only; incase a similar event ever happens again- I was not actually issued a ticket in this scenario:

A couple weeks ago I was driving back into town on the highway (55 mph). Before the limit hits 35 when you're getting closer to the town, it hits 45. As I was approaching the 45 mph sign (as in before I got to it) I started slowing down. Well, I was with my girlfriend at the time and she points out a cop car driving back towards the highway on opposite side of the road. I didn't think much of it since I wasn't really speeding, I looked at the needle and it was on around 48 or 49. To my astonishment the cop makes a U-turn and sure enough turns on the blue lights. So I pull over and roll down the window; he gets out and asks for my license (didn't ask for the registration) and says, "Do you know what the limit is back there?" I replied, "45?" He says, "Yeah. And do you know how fast you were going?" I said, "Around 50?" "55," he answers. "Now, I'm going to let you go this time, but you need to slow down back there, besides, I like that Basset hound." (My girlfriend was holding our little puppy Basset hound in her lap that kept barking at the officer)

Well, obviously I'm thankful I did not get a ticket. I know a lot of you are probably wondering what I'm complaining about then; it's just the fact that I wasn't going that fast to begin with. And I simply want to know what the proper course of action should be had I actually recieved a ticket?

Thanks for your time.

How do you know that your speedometer is accurate completely accurate. If he got you on radar or lidar, chances are his stuff is more accurate than yours. It is possible that your needle says 49 but you could actually be doing 55. I remember putting new rims on my motorcycle and it caused my speedometer to read inaccurately. It wasn't that noticeble at lower speeds but when I got up to 50 to 60 mph it was close to 5mph off.

Comment

For $500 I will give you the answer, thats about what lawyers make right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon
        And I simply want to know what the proper course of action should be had I actually recieved a ticket?
        I'd suggest paying it and driving slower.

Comment

And I simply want to know what the proper course of action should be had I actually recieved a ticket?

Thanks for your time.
          This one's on the house...pay your fine, or contest the cite. Simple as that
          "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
            This one's on the house...pay your fine, or contest the cite. Simple as that
            Man you are too easy

Comment

Originally posted by 208
              Man you are too easy
              Lets keep that between you and I. Wouldn't want DW getting ideas, now would we?
              "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor1430
                How do you know that your speedometer is accurate completely accurate. If he got you on radar or lidar, chances are his stuff is more accurate than yours. It is possible that your needle says 49 but you could actually be doing 55. I remember putting new rims on my motorcycle and it caused my speedometer to read inaccurately. It wasn't that noticeble at lower speeds but when I got up to 50 to 60 mph it was close to 5mph off.
                Thanks for an educated/non-smartass answer. Although I haven't done anything to my car; as in modifications or add-ons. Where could you go to have the speedometer tested? Dealership?

Comment

Thanks for an educated/non-smartass answer. Although I haven't done anything to my car; as in modifications or add-ons. Where could you go to have the speedometer tested? Dealership?
                  The dealership may be able to help you. If you know a police officer, you could always ask. Thats how I found out my motorcycle was no longer accurate (this is before I was a leo). When driving at higher speeds, it 'felt' like I was going faster than I should be. I asked an officer that was shooting laser if he would not mind helping me out..and he did. My speedometer was at about 50 and he picked me up at 55. Going through again at 45, he got me at 49. Anything 30 and below was just a few mph off that it was not even noticable.

Comment

Yellow Pages. "Speedometers."

Or

AAA if you are a member. They have speedo/calibration workshops every so often. Call 'em up or look for the ad/schedule in your WestWays magazine.

EDJ
                    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

You'd need it calibrated and yes, the dealer can do that for a minimal fee. If they charge you for more than 20 minutes work, they're ripping you off.

Comment

Sounds like you got a break. If the Officer had cited you,and you wanted to contest the ticket. You take a day off from work. Possible lost time, and wages. If you retain an attorney, he's going to cost you more than the fine if you're found guilty. There's the possibility you'd have been found guilty. That results in both fine and court costs, and possible points on your license. Your insurance could go up. As I noted, you got a break.

Comment

Originally posted by 208
                          For $500 I will give you the answer, thats about what lawyers make right?
                          Ah HA ha! That's what I was thinking.

Comment

Alright guys, thanks for the help. I will definitely get that checked out. I hope it's not miscalibrated though... even at 45, 55, and 60 it seems awful slow. Would suck to find out I need to go even slower. Anyway, thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3445 users online. 248 members and 3197 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X