300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea or waste of money?

WATERLOO, Iowa Waterloo police officers will soon be scooting all over town. That's thanks to the recent purchase of a pair of Segways.
    The department says the two-wheeled, electric vehicles will be used to patrol the business district, special events and parades. They'll also be used as well as festivals and athletic events.

Police chief Thomas Jennings says the scooters will provide officers greater visibility.

The department says the total cost of the two scooters was around eleven-thousand dollars. Forfeiture moneys and a private donation was used to acquire the vehicles.

What do other officers think of this?

Kinda like mounted horse patrol, without the cost of the feed, stables, vet bills, etc...

It puts the officers up higher than the crowd, and allows them to move faster longer without fatigue. And no horse-poop to deal with.
    J. Wise

AR-15 - AK-47 - NFA Trusts - My Pick - Carry Guns - 1911s

"Some say you can tell how the world stands by the prices of AK-47s...." Chit2001

Any comments contained herein regarding the legality of firearms, or the application of law, are strictly applicable to Texas. If you live in CA, NY, IL, MA, D.C., etc., the above comments will probably shock you, and should be read for educational purposes only. Most likely nothing I write will apply to you.

sigpic

Comment

Our agency has a couple of them and it comes in handy in the crowded downtown streets in the summertime when traffic is at a standstill.

Comment

I think 11k is pretty high price considering but it has a function.

I hope the chief has a sense of humor and installs some lights and a siren on it!

Comment

I saw a MA state trooper on one at an airport. It does put you above the crowd and you can zip along at a fairly good rate if you want to. I think you would get some ribbing from other cops, but the civilians didn't seem to pay this guy any mind just because he was on a Segway. If the chief thinks they will provide a service and it was free money, why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain

I hope the chief has a sense of humor and installs some lights and a siren on it!
            I've seen them with the lights on it. They are a good idea. Offers great visibility. I would also like to see the price come down a bit.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I just texted my friend in Waterloo......she sent me a nasty message back when I asked if her *** was going to be on a Segway since she has this nasty habit of wrecking patrol/personal vehicles......

Comment

Ever been on one of these things? They are kind of tricky. I had one of our EMS people give me a quick lesson on one once. They are harder to use than it looks.
                Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain

Segway has an LE package complete w/ lights and sirens. They brought a couple out to our dept. for a demo when we where starting a new unit. Everyone saw how rediculious they looked and voted to keep the mountain bikes.
                  Facts are meaningless, they can be used to prove anything.

Stay Safe

Comment

I guess everyone has their own opinion, but you wouldn't catch me on one.
                    It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6632 users online. 361 members and 6271 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X