Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back problems from duty belt?

Hi Guys,

I'm a first time poster, long time reader. I apologize if this has been asked (performed search function prior to posting).

Question: do you guys/gals experience lower back problems ever from wearing duty belt? Long term?

Also, do you wear those back support braces (I’ve seen movers, delivery folks wear them- - seem like a decent idea)

Thanks for any input, I've always been curious.

Regards,
    Adam

Adam, I've heard of research that the elastic back support braces have been found to cause more damage than they prevent, and have been banned by many companies. Back problems? After a long shift, yeah. Staying in shaped helped.
    Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
    Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

It has become so common that California has enacted a law stating that such injuries are presumed to be work related and are compensable as such. From the California Labor Code:

3213.2. (a) In the case of a member of a police department of a
      city, county, or city and county, or a member of the sheriff's office
      of a county, or a peace officer employed by the Department of the
      California Highway Patrol, or a peace officer employed by the
      University of California, who has been employed for at least five
      years as a peace officer on a regular, full-time salary and has been
      required to wear a duty belt as a condition of employment, the term
      "injury," as used in this division, includes lower back impairments.
      The compensation that is awarded for lower back impairments shall
      include full hospital, surgical, medical treatment, disability
      indemnity, and death benefits as provided by the provisions of this
      division.

(b) The lower back impairment so developing or manifesting itself
      in the peace officer shall be presumed to arise out of and in the
      course of the employment. This presumption is disputable and may be
      controverted by other evidence, but unless so controverted, the
      appeals board is bound to find in accordance with it. This
      presumption shall be extended to a person following termination of
      service for a period of three calendar months for each full year of
      the requisite service, but not to exceed 60 months in any
      circumstance, commencing with the last date actually worked in the
      specified capacity.

(c) For purposes of this section, "duty belt" means a belt used
      for the purpose of holding a gun, handcuffs, baton, and other items
      related to law enforcement.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I definitely have back pain. Had it before but don't think it helps lugging around a gun belt and playing musical police car chairs.

I picked up a pair of the duty belt suspenders and they've helped a ton. It displaces the weight really well once you set them up right and my back has been a lot better.

A lot of good stretching and work outs helps too I find.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirrain
          I definitely have back pain. Had it before but don't think it helps lugging around a gun belt and playing musical police car chairs.

I picked up a pair of the duty belt suspenders and they've helped a ton. It displaces the weight really well once you set them up right and my back has been a lot better.

A lot of good stretching and work outs helps too I find.

Or moving to Detective and throwing the gun belt in your trunk for good!
          "Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be no courage unless you're scared." — Eddie Rickenbacker
          World War I hero

Comment

Yep. My belt causes me quite a bit of back pain...I go to a chiropractor frequently. I dont' have a choice but to have items on my belt pushing into the small of my back and that certainly doesn't help. In addition, we (women) wear out belts up to our waist, therefore they rub on the top of our hipbones causing soreness there after awhile.
            sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Try to stretch out a bit before going on duty and also, if possible, try to keep your gear off to the sides and not directly in the small of your back while you're in the car.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by irishdep
                Try to stretch out a bit before going on duty and also, if possible, try to keep your gear off to the sides and not directly in the small of your back while you're in the car.
                LOL...I don't have the room! I do the stretching part with yoga and whatnot, but I can't move the things on my belt...they are packed in there...It's the handcuff case that causes the most problems
                sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Originally posted by Smurfette_76
                  LOL...I don't have the room! I do the stretching part with yoga and whatnot, but I can't move the things on my belt...they are packed in there...It's the handcuff case that causes the most problems
                  With a little waist your options are limited. Some guys/gals eliminated one cuff pouch by holding the other set on a belt keeper. The only disadvantage is the possible noise factor if you're trying to be quiet.
                  "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

Originally posted by SAPD_Rob
                    Or moving to Detective and throwing the gun belt in your trunk for good!
                    Still looking for the right hat

Originally posted by irishdep
                    Some guys/gals eliminated one cuff pouch by holding the other set on a belt keeper
                    I tried that but found the double cuff holder to be a pretty handy alternative. I found it was too noisy and I kept losing my cuffs when I was getting into tussles with people.

Comment

My outfit will issue suspenders with a Dr's note. I don't like wearing my belt so high, so I actually opted for men's pants, so I can wear my belt a little bit lower. I did have soreness on my hips until I did that. Made a world of difference for me.

Comment

IF you can do it go from leather to nylon, also obviously try to get gear off of the rear of your belt...especially the small of your back. If your agency allows outer vest carriers, try to configure the gear on your belt onto your vest.....life will improve quite a bit I promise.
                        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

I dont have issues with my lower back from the gun belt any more....it seems its my vest that does it to me on my upper back (at the end of a long night, my shoulders and upper back get fatigued).

A couple of things that have seemed to help me and those that I work with...make sure to stay in shape around your core. Many of us when working out tend to work out arms and legs but neglect the back and abs. This has helped when I felt the onset of lower back pain creeping in each day.

There is a contraption at my gym that locks your legs in and you bend at the waist. I don't know what the thing is called but its similar to this:

We have some people that go over to the nylon belts and they say they make a world of difference. At our agency, you are only allowed to go to nylon if you experience back pain and get a doctors note to go to nylon Also, do what you can to keep that cuff case out of your lower back. I carry two sets of cuffs and put in a glove pouch dead center in my back with the cuff cases on both sides of the glove pouch. My cuffs are still in back where I like them and the glove pouch keeps them off my spine. I did this when I first noticed back pain and it seems to have worked very well in addition to the core exercises.
                          Last edited by Taylor1430; 04-20-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

In addition to the suggestions of rearranging your cuff case(s), if you carry your notebook pad in a leather carrier, in your rear pants pocket, get rid of it. Carry it in your uniform shirt pocket, w/o the carrier instead.
                            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I carry two sets of exposed cuffs on straps. People give me crap about it, but I can't stand those huge cuff cases and I don't have room. They don't make that much noise, and if I need to be stealthy I can flip them upside down inside the strap, they just dont stay there the whole shift.
                              It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4598 users online. 257 members and 4341 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X