Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of real life superheroes/vigilantes?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of real life superheroes/vigilantes?

Essentially, these would be the guys like Kick *** who would actually try to dress up and take on criminals, not just the ones who simply do neighborhood watches and work at soup kitchens. As a nerd I may like superhero movies and comics, it would never be anything I would try to do or encourage people to do so for the obvious reasons:

When you look at heroes like say Spider Man for example, it seems that crime was just completely out of control he showed up, same for alot of other characters. Basically the police are portrayed as either incompetent or incapable of handling crime. This is one of the reasons people advocate for real-life superheroes where people like [this dude](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Jones) dress up and take on crime, or at the very least volunteer and do community service. There are people who say that since the cops are either corrupt(racist, payed off or excessive use of force) or idiots(''pigs'' as some people say), vigilantes would be preferred. They are also preferrable since cops are hindered by rules and regulations. However...

-Vigilante advocates say that in order to engage in vigilantism should have access to various weapons(guns, swords, knives, etc) and extensively trained in martial arts as well as a bunch of other skills. Being a martial artist myself, I can very much say that the kind of people who do extensively study this stuff(Maybe even teach it for a living) don't go out to be Batman. That's because in real life you can't roundhouse one thug, judo flip another, hit another with a jab-cross combo and flip away while their buddies with guns are spraying you with bullets. More often than not, weapons especially guns trump martial arts, i.e. [the Boxer Rebellion.](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion)

-As a cop, not only can you operate within the law, but your training includes hand to hand combat via defensive tactics, training with batons, firearms and tasers along with how to identify and safely handle said weapons. You then have classroom work to teach you about forensics and criminal justice, as well as operating a patrol car and other vehicles. You also get your own uniform and utility belt so to speak. And it's all on the taxpayer's dollar instead of you putting yourself in debt trying to amass a small arsenal. Same thing as if you are hurt on duty. And you get paid for the work instead of balancing a 9-5 with crime fighting. Plus you can have back up available in case things are going south.

-Having rules and regulations means that a cop can't just arrest, beat up, and kill whoever they think is doing wrong. Yes there are some bad apples, but things would be far worst if people just decided to always take justice into their own hands. History gives us examples such as the witch hunts, and the lynching of African Americans for (allegedly) sexually assaulting or harassing a white woman such as Emmett Till. There have been cases where cops who stepped out of line were arrested, or at the very least fired. But a vigilante who beats up or kills a supposed suspect can just run off scott free.

Thoughts?

I’m into superhero stuff too, but I don’t think it’d work in real life. Someone who does not answer to anyone is dangerous, regardless of their intentions. What if one of these “vigilantes” decides to kill criminals without all the facts? We have courts for a reason. It’d be very complicated and I think they would interfere with real law enforcement.

Now, if some kid gets powers from a spider bite, I’m all in.

Comment

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I think people playing dress up and getting their asses kicked could have a pretty high entertainment value. I've been doing jiu jitsu for awhile and, while I think a few schools have street-value, it has opened my eyes to the fact that most traditional martial arts serve absolutely no real-world purpose so....we can cross that off our list. I guess the only thought that comes to mind is how ridiculous this is.

Comment

Originally posted by RaspiestShrimp View Post
        I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I think people playing dress up and getting their asses kicked could have a pretty high entertainment value. I've been doing jiu jitsu for awhile and, while I think a few schools have street-value, it has opened my eyes to the fact that most traditional martial arts serve absolutely no real-world purpose so....we can cross that off our list. I guess the only thought that comes to mind is how ridiculous this is.
        I was basically asking what you guys thought of the idea in general. And you have a point about traditional martial arts. That's why my area of focus regarding training is Judo, Muay Thai along with staff/stick fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobokdude View Post

I was basically asking what you guys thought of the idea in general. And you have a point about traditional martial arts. That's why my area of focus regarding training is Judo, Muay Thai along with staff/stick fighting.
          Judo and Muay Thai are outstanding options. I was going to include that in my previous post, but didn't want to step on any toes. I saw that your name is Dobok and kind of assumed you were a point-kicking kind of guy, lolol. Anyway, yeah, after I get to a certain point with BJJ, I'd like to move to refine my striking with something like Muay Thai or boxing.

As far as the vigilante thing goes....I've seen some in the news that deserve a couple high-fives. In terms of dressing up and pretending to be a superhero, though, I'm not a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by RaspiestShrimp View Post

Judo and Muay Thai are outstanding options. I was going to include that in my previous post, but didn't want to step on any toes. I saw that your name is Dobok and kind of assumed you were a point-kicking kind of guy, lolol. Anyway, yeah, after I get to a certain point with BJJ, I'd like to move to refine my striking with something like Muay Thai or boxing.

As far as the vigilante thing goes....I've seen some in the news that deserve a couple high-fives. In terms of dressing up and pretending to be a superhero, though, I'm not a fan.
            Yeah the first martial art I did was Taekwondo, but even though I've moved on from that I kept the name, lol. I might take it up again but I feel greater satisfcation with the arts I'm with in regards to fitness, practical application and sporting opportunities. I couldn't just do kicks like in Olympic sparring.

Are you a LEO btw?

Comment

• RaspiestShrimp
              RaspiestShrimp commented
              Editing a comment
              Not yet, I'm in the military. I'm at the tail-end of my hiring processes, though, and about three months and change away from getting off active duty.

*edit*
              I just scrolled up and saw that you posted this thread in the 'ask a cop' section. I apologize for chiming in; didn't realize you were looking for LEOs thoughts.

I am disappointed there is no Batman running around Silicon Valley.

You would think with the crime in San Jose, that some techie billionaire would be jumping at the chance to fight crime....
            semper destravit

Comment

I remember, years ago, a Father putting a round into the head of the man that had kidnapped and molested his son. I get the emotion. But in theory we have a judicial system that is supposed to be unbiased. Innocent until proven guilty.
              This is a very tough question. If someone hurt my 85 y/o Mother. It would be worth going to prison for...….
              If some yahoo is running around deciding who needs to be dealt with. No thanks.
              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I'd be down for getting some superpowers. Then I could be Officer Superman. Best of both worlds.

Comment

Unfortunately, "superheroes" ARE vigilantes - no oversight, no bringing of offenders before the courts, no proper testimony given to the courts by the "s...h..."
                  Of course, stories, whether written, spoken, or viewable, or whether modern, or ancient, mythology, are just that, and for entertainment.
                  #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                  Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                  RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                  Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                  "Smile" - no!

Comment

WTF is wrong with you people?
                    SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                    SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                      Unfortunately, "superheroes" ARE vigilantes - no oversight, no bringing of offenders before the courts, no proper testimony given to the courts by the "s...h..."
                      Of course, stories, whether written, spoken, or viewable, or whether modern, or ancient, mythology, are just that, and for entertainment.
                      Not always. In works such as My Hero Academia, The Incredibles and at times Marvel and DC superheroes work for or at least have oversight from the government. There was also of course the Civil War thing with Marvel.

Comment

Rotflmao!!!
                        I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Me? I think Rudy8116 is a Super Hero. I mean...G14? Sheeeeiiittttt. THAT’S it right there!!!
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Every honest, hard-working Police Officer is a REAL hero.

However, given my good looks, I am so much more of a "superhero" than the rest of you schumcks!
                            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                            "Smile" - no!

Comment

• J2H
                              J2H commented
                              Editing a comment
                              See, now you've done it... I will NOT be called out as a schmuck in public! :-D

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9602 users online. 320 members and 9282 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X