300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not having registration in car

hello all, I notice when I watch cop related TV shows the LEO always ask for DL, prof of insurance and registration. I live in MN and I never been asked for the registration. I asked a LEO on this and he said we have computers in our cars and we already know before we walk up to car if your registration is up to date. does this mean the states that cops ask this do not have up to date info if the registration is up to date

also if I am on a road trip and get stopped do I need to show that the the registration is up to date? we have stickers on plates to show that

Comment

NOPE.

The law STILL requires that you carry proof of registration. It really doesn't matter what the computer states............you are required to have the slip in the your car. If you dont' have it with you it CAN be a citation
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• TheSlammer
        TheSlammer commented
        Editing a comment
        I carry one, but they also require one on the windshield next to the inspection date. Do they use both to verify? Ive never been pulled over in 11 years of driving. So honestly curious.

I sure laws are different in each state but to be safe I can keep it the safe I have in rear of our SUV

Comment

That's just something that's good to keep with you. I don't normally ask for it unless there was a discrepancy in GCIC/NCIC.

For example: I've had situations were insurance companies got the VIN wrong. Without a copy of the registration and insurance card I wouldn't be able to verify that. All I would know is the registration was suspended for no valid insurance.

I've also heard of the tag offices getting the VINs wrong. Very rare for it to happen but it has happened.
        Last edited by westside popo; 10-13-2018, 07:33 PM.

Comment

In IL you aren't required to have it on you. It varies by state.

​​​​​​I might ask for it if there's an issue getting the car's info back, like specialty out of state plates.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            That's just something that's good to keep with you. I don't normally ask for it unless there was a discrepancy in GCIC/NCIC.

For example: I've had situations were insurance companies got the VIN wrong. Without a copy of the registration and insurance card I wouldn't be able to verify that. All I would know is the registration was suspended for no valid insurance.

I've also heard of the tag offices getting the VINs wrong. Very rare for it to happen but it has happened.
            I drove a pickup for 5 yrs before I noticed the VIN was wrong on my insurance card....................

I renewed my license plates a couple years ago and the DMV said I needed new plates Then sent me wrong plates for the vehicle. The plate was 1 letter off the real registration (Ham Radio call sign )
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

• westside popo
              westside popo commented
              Editing a comment
              Here they would have suspended your registration. Probably wouldn't know it until you drive by an officer with a license plate reader.

Most of the suspended registrations I've seen had to do with insurance. People not paying their insurance, cancelling the insurance while their vehicle is in the shop or changing insurance companies multiple times. Other times it's for no paying a ~$25 fee at the tag office.

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              In Iowa insurance is not connected to registration so the DMV would have no idea if something is wrong

In NJ, the driver must produce their license, registration and insurance card (paper or electronic document) upon request. Failure to do so carries a fine of $150 for EACH violation (plus court costs).

I can (and will) look up all the info before I approach the vehicle, but I always ask to see the documents even if everything checks out. I've rarely cited someone for failure to produce...UNLESS they're particularly argumentative a-holes...in which case I'm happy to add $450 worth of tickets to their $95 speeding ticket. (FYI, they have the option of producing the documents in court, and if they don't give the judge an attitude he'll typically reduce the fine or only make them pay court costs).

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
              Iand if they don't give the judge an attitude he'll typically reduce the fine or only make them pay court costs).
              That's what happens in Iowa too

Court costs for traffic violations are $60

Comment

I do recall the police computer info was wrong it came back as a different model chevy but I did have the registration and had the title showing the VIN number.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11428 users online. 427 members and 11001 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X