Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I pay my way through the police academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I pay my way through the police academy?

I'm 25yrs old and wanting to get into law enforcement as a police officer or deputy. I don't have any disqualifiers but I know with my past I wont have much luck getting a job. I do have the opportunity to work as a corrections officer but there's also the option of paying my way through the police training. I'm just looking for input on what the better option would be. Either one of these options will be in Idaho.
    Thanks in advance

Sometimes it can help, sometimes it won't make a difference. I knew some that self sponcered their way through the academy.

Wasn't too impressed with any of them.

Comment

So what would you say is the better option?

Comment

Originally posted by MattM24 View Post
        I don't have any disqualifiers but I know with my past I wont have much luck getting a job.
        That's an interesting statement. If you have no disqualifiers, what is it about your past that would make it difficult for you to obtain employment as a police officer?.

I do have the opportunity to work as a corrections officer.......
        What is it that is not a disqualifier but would still keep you from being a police officer, while allowing you toi be a corrections officer?

Anyone??????? CCCSD?

Inquiring minds want to know

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• ThinBlue404
          ThinBlue404 commented
          Editing a comment
          My thoughts exactly...

Bad work history, Dui, and and not so good credit history. Although I have been doing good the past 3 years. Also I dropped out of high school and college but I do have a Ged.

Comment

So....WHY would you qualify for CO but not LEO? That makes ZERO sense.

Are you really in line for a CO job, or just assuming a lower standard?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'm not necessarily lined up I just know someone who can get me the job. However I am just looking for an answer to my question

Comment

Bad work history, Dui, and and not so good credit history. Although I have been doing good the past 3 years. Also I dropped out of high school and college but I do have a Ged.
              That doesn't look good!

I couldn't recommend you much less spend the money to send you through the academy.

Maybe your only chance is to self sponsor and apply at a department needing a warm body.

But I would think long and hard about it! That's a lot of money for a maybe.
              A

Comment

Anhhh-I will tell you that from what you are saying, you DO know more about your odds than many applicants!

You seem to already know you wouldn’t get hired for a job in patrol because of your criminal history (DUI) poor work history, not so good credit history, and a shaky school record.

But you know someone who can get you hired as a CO?

But you might want to spend money out of pocket for the academy in Idaho, in the outside chance that might help you get hired?

There are three risk categories that are commonly found on background investigation across the country.

1) Questionable Decision Making Ability
                2) Impulsiveness/ self-control
                3) Applicant Emotional Maturity

What you’ve asked actually hits on each of these categories.

You might consider a redo of your outlook towards yourself, and the profession you are seeking. Don’t call in that favor for the job you don’t really want. Don’t do that to a friend going on a limb vouching for you.

I’m guessing you may well have a shot at the career, but not until you rehab your history. And yet, if you want to roll the dice and you have the money....pay your way through the academy and let the chips fall!

Then go back and read categories 1,2,3.

Comment

With a DUI in your past I wouldn't plan on getting hired as a cop any time soon...............there are just too many candidates without that particular baggage. I wouldn't expend a whole lot of money expecting a graduation certificate from an academy to negate the DUI / bad work history

Corrections agencies many times are more forgiving on background matters that LE agencies. While that might not be optimal , it IS the truth .

I know a whole lot of former Correctional Officers who later became cops.............EVERY ONE of them will tell you that their time behind the walls made them a better cop since they learned how to talk with people and deal with criminals while a CO.

I also know a lot of CO's who went into Corrections expecting the job to be a stepping stone into LE and decided to stay.............
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'm not necessarily lined up I just know someone who can get me the job. However I am just looking for an answer to my question
                    So...your friend will bend all the rules to hire you? First time you make a mistake and go to court, you and your friend are toast.

Are they really that desperate to imperil their agency? I’m SURE someone else would have thoughts about that.
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

No, don't self sponsor. Period. You are paying for something that you can only use in a very particular career field that has some heavy requirements. It's not like trade school to learn welding.

Comment

A poor work history, DUI, and bad credit will all make getting hired difficult. Dropping out from both high school and college will not help. To a BI, you have issues of reliability and decision-making, neither of which is good for a candidate. The only thing that may help you with these issues is time...you need to show that you can maintain a good work history, fix your credit, and a maintain a clean background.

IF you can take the time to fix your background, self-sponsoring through an academy may help you, especially with smaller agencies. It's unusual for most smaller departments in my area to hire candidates who don't already have their certification, simply because there are already so many certified candidates available...sending someone through the academy is an added expense, not to mention the additional time to get an officer on the street. On the other hand, larger agencies frequently don't care if you're certified and will send ALL candidates through their chosen academy whether they're certified already or not.

Just food for thought...I paid for my own academy. Of my entire class, I believe that there are only two of us who are still in LE. For many people, paying their way through the academy is wasted money.
                        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I live in a state with twenty academies, and a dozen of those are community colleges where as long as you're 18 and can cough up $5,040, you're good to go.

I've paid my way through one academy (1990) and did not pay for subsequent academies. The self-paid one was like alternative high school: hackey sack in the hall, instructors were chill, everyone passed everything...

The non-paid were more like boot camp: formation in the morning, dogbreath instructors in your face, and people got sent home if they couldn't do enough situps in two minutes or properly apply probable cause in a practical exercise.

Not saying the training is sub-par for a self-paid academy graduate. Just saying there was a difference in tone and who graduated, in my experience.

Also, they are BIG money makers for small community colleges and employ many retired and part-time officers. Self-paid academies are practically a cottage industry in many places....

When you're 20 you care what everyone thinks, when you're 40 you stop caring what everyone thinks, when you're 60 you realize no one was ever thinking about you in the first place.

-Winston Churchill

Comment

For the sake of the discussion, I'll assume you have truly changed your life around and have nothing but the best of intentions. As seasoned law enforcement professionals, that's often a hard leap for many of us to make, because most of come into frequent contact with people who say much the same thing...yet their actions don't support their statements.

Point #1: Should you pay your way through the academy?
                            My experience says yes. But my experience, in my area, is likely very different from yours. Around here, when I attended the academy, the vast majority of people paid their own way through before getting hired. With only a few exceptions, all academies in our state are run by community colleges. The 'cottage industry' statement rings true to me. But, while I'm not aware of the start-to-graduation-to-hire rates, anecdotal experience tells me that most who graduate from self-sponsored academies around here eventually get hired somewhere. As they say in the commercials, Your Mileage May Vary. But yeah -- if you really want to get into a LE-adjacent field and feel you're really made the personal changes necessary to do it well and without scandal, go for it.

Point #2: Should you want the job?
                            To me, this is the larger question. So you know a guy (or gal; let's be gender-neutral here). This person has enough clout to push through a candidate with what we as experienced LE and Corrections professionals see as some major red flags, based on collective past experience. That sort of higher-level executive decision-making would worry me as a potential employee. In other words, if they're willing to cut corners and ignore some pretty significant hiring standards to hire you, what else are they doing that's less-than-ideal? I'm reminded of a college friend who used to say, "I don't want to date someone who sleeps with me on our first date -- it shows they have low standards."

Point #3: Are you TRULY ready for this type of job?
                            You have a relatively recent history of money problems and other poor decision-making. Hopefully that's behind you. But what if you come up a little short on rent in the future and some drug dealer's buddy offers you $1000 to sneak a cell phone into his boy? Or $500 for some smokes? Or $200 for a candy bar? Do you really feel you have the strength of will to say no? Every time? No matter what's going on in your life? Cuz that ***** wont' just get you fired; it could land you in that same place, but on the other side of the bars. That's a real thing, and it takes real maturity and backbone to commit to the honesty and integrity of the job.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11180 users online. 428 members and 10752 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X