Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police psych eval

Hello, all,

I had a question for experienced officers in here.

I am currently a correctional officer, been one for quite some time now. Morale and ethics in my facility and agency is at rock bottom at this point. No one seems to care about doing the right thing, and I am in general sick of the politics and everything else with this facility. Therefore, I want out.

Since being hired as an officer, I am facing the usual psycological problems that come with working in prison: depression, anxiety, and sometimes sleepless nights. I've been assaulted by an inmate once, I had bodily fluids thrown at me, and the inmate only received a slap on the wrist for that. He wasn't criminally charged for what he did to me, which makes me very angry. I was sent to the hospital for what he did to me. It's that and everything else I go through working here, why I'm having mental problems. Stemming from all this that has happened to me, I'm on anti-depresant meds and I'm seeing a counselor.

As a result of this, I would like to start applying for police departments. I basically would like to know if this will affect my ability to get through the psycological evaluation. I am not by any means "insane", I'm just a usual depressed, miserable C.O. I would say most of my colleagues are facing the same thing.

Can anyone who has been through this maybe chime in? Thank you.

Originally posted by Redsoxguy1990 View Post

Hello, all,

I had a question for experienced officers in here.

I am currently a correctional officer, been one for quite some time now. Morale and ethics in my facility and agency is at rock bottom at this point. No one seems to care about doing the right thing, and I am in general sick of the politics and everything else with this facility. Therefore, I want out.

Since being hired as an officer, I am facing the usual psycological problems that come with working in prison: depression, anxiety, and sometimes sleepless nights. I've been assaulted by an inmate once, I had bodily fluids thrown at me, and the inmate only received a slap on the wrist for that. He wasn't criminally charged for what he did to me, which makes me very angry. I was sent to the hospital for what he did to me. It's that and everything else I go through working here, why I'm having mental problems. Stemming from all this that has happened to me, I'm on anti-depresant meds and I'm seeing a counselor.

As a result of this, I would like to start applying for police departments. I basically would like to know if this will affect my ability to get through the psycological evaluation. I am not by any means "insane", I'm just a usual depressed, miserable C.O. I would say most of my colleagues are facing the same thing.

Can anyone who has been through this maybe chime in? Thank you.
    I was a CO / Supervisor in a Maximum Security Prison for nearly 30 yrs & find the most of your post quiet offensive for the hundreds of thousands of Correctional Officers out there that are NOT depressed & miserable

You have had nothing done to you that most of the rest of us haven't had done to us & we managed to make it through the system.

In other words ........been there, done that & own the T Shirt.

I don't think your experiences will be a block to your LE application processes but I think your attitude will
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 10-10-2018, 08:04 PM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

No where in my post did I say that every officer is like how I am, every officer is different. I really don’t understand how I have an “attitude” like you mentioned, I also don’t quite understand how I was “offensive” to other officers, I was merely asking if the mental problems I deal with will affect how I do on the psych eval. You can’t tell me that after 30 years on the job that you haven’t had some mental problems yourself. It wasn’t just that one incident that affected me. But it’s whatever, I guess I came to the wrong place to ask for advice.

Comment

Bro, if you are angry and depressed over one assault and the dirtbag not being charged, you’ll eat your gun before you’re off probation working patrol. That crap sucks, but it goes with the territory. You do your job the best that you can and don’t take anything personally. As it is, you seem to be too emotionally fragile for law enforcement.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

No where in my post did I say that every officer is like how I am, every officer is different. I really don’t understand how I have an “attitude” like you mentioned, I also don’t quite understand how I was “offensive” to other officers, I was merely asking if the mental problems I deal with will affect how I do on the psych eval. You can’t tell me that after 30 years on the job that you haven’t had some mental problems yourself. It wasn’t just that one incident that affected me. But it’s whatever, I guess I came to the wrong place to ask for advice.
          No youngster.......................its not just 30 yrs......it is 42 yrs and counting in the business 30 in Corrections and 12 in Law Enforcement. The FIRST time I was assaulted was before you were born................and I am still in the business.

Read Ateamers response
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

OP needs NOT to continue in ANY LE position. One hit and he’s in therapy and on meds. As posted above, seek other employment.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I guess I need to be a little more clearer. I am not seeking counseling for what happened to me, I don’t really care in the end. That’s one of the reasons why I want to leave my facility, because of how it was handled, that and many more things wrong with where I woke. Every officer that I work with has some sort of problem mentally. All I would like to know is how this will affect me when I take the psych eval.

Comment

I guess I need to be a little more clearer. I am not seeking counseling for what happened to me, I don’t really care in the end. That’s one of the reasons why I want to leave my facility, because of how it was handled, that and many more things wrong with where I woke. Every officer that I work with has some sort of problem mentally. All I would like to know is how this will affect me when I take the psych eval.
                Apply and find out.

Comment

According to your original post you are ALREADY seeing a counselor due to your treatment at the jail

Stemming from all this that has happened to me, I'm on anti-depresant meds and I'm seeing a counselor.

Comment

I'd like to know how you would handle yourself given the same incident while wearing a PD badge. If some dirt bag assaults you and gets away with not being charged and jailed, are you going to be depressed and mentally unstable because of it? PTSD and mental health are things that should not be taken lightly. However, being a CO or LEO you will be kicked, punched, spat on, bitten, hair pulled etc during your career; most likely more than once. How are you going to handle these situations since it comes with the territory/job? If you want to not be assaulted and treated better by your employer i suggest looking for a job outside of civil service because even as a CO this field isn't for you.

EDIT: And it doesn't matter what job you get in to, there will ALWAYS be some form of politics and budget issues.
                    Last edited by Sincity; 10-11-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

It’s not personal, it’s business. Learn that.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Clearly you do care, which is why you said you're on meds and seeing a counselor. So will it effect you when you take the psych test? I think that's an unequivocal YES. The psych test is almost always two-parts. A written portion and a sit down with the psychologist. Based on what you've said here, you don't seem like the most stable person out there. You take things personally and have a problem letting go. Those spell disaster in law enforcement. Never mind the physical assault stuff, how can you deal with the other psychological stresses? Kids abused, killed, assaulted. Suicides. Homicides. Clearing one of those calls and still having a full shift to finish. And politics? You're still in the minor leagues. Wait until you get to an agency with different specialties, days off, shift picks, vacation, assignments, district/beat preferences. It all becomes political.

Has this job had an effect on all of us? Absolutely. But it's how you process, handle, and move forward...in a healthy way. Find an outlet. This job can consume you if you let it. You seem to have let that process begin and you haven't even scratched the surface of what's waiting for you on the street. So will it effect your psych test? Once again yes. You don't seem to have good processing or coping skills. That will be evident to a psychologist. Not saying you're a bad person, but I don't think this job is for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12060 users online. 429 members and 11631 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X