Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ticket amount being increased in court? Does it happen often?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ticket amount being increased in court? Does it happen often?

I fought a ticket in court and lost and the prosecuter requested that the fine amount on the ticket get increased. It started out at $115 and they raised it to $240. Does this happen often? I've never seen it done before and I think it's unfair to punish me further simply because I took a ticket to court to contest it.

They probably bumped it up because you wasted everyone's time and yes, it is permissible. Let's say for the sake of argument you were driving without a license and the penalty in your state is up to $500.00 fine. If you take your medicine, accept responsibility and pay your ticket you walk away with a $115.00 fine. If you go to court and this is your second or third offense or the judge thinks your wasting everyone's time, he/she can pop you for up to the maximum, which in this example is $500.00. If you go to court and say look your honor, I know I don't have a license but my (insert family member) was rushed to the hospital for (insert medical problem) and I had to get there. Here are the hospital papers. The judge can sympathize with you and not fine you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by WAPM
      I think it's unfair to punish me further simply because I took a ticket to court to contest it.
      Didn't think it would be free, to contest the citation in court, did you? Can we say "court costs?"
      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
        Didn't think it would be free, to contest the citation in court, did you? Can we say "court costs?"
        No, they weren't court costs. The judge said I was being cut a break by raising the ticket because she could suspend my licence if she wanted to.

Comment

I see it very often...
          I think they should raise it when idiots get up there and say not guilty and when they get there turn to speak all they can say is "I know I wasnt going that fast." If your defense is that poor you are wasting the courts time and should have to pay more. Just my rant.

Comment

No, they weren't court costs. The judge said I was being cut a break by raising the ticket because she could suspend my licence if she wanted to.
            A license suspension for a cite, where the initial fine was $115 Although possible, I find this highly unlikely. You either have an atrocious driving record, or there's more to the story...or both.

What was the violation, and in what state do you reside?
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

If this is true then why are you complaining? You go to court then there are always court costs.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Most tickets have a maximum penalty of $500 for non incarcerable offenses. The amount of the fine is a preset minimum amount for the court's and your convenience. When you decided to contest the citation, you elected to waive the pre-set fine and subject yourself to a stiffer penalty and court costs. I think there is more to the story that youre not telling us. Every state that I know of has at least a must appear citation for a violation involving a license suspension, some require arrest.
                John 3:16

Comment

I see the judge do this fairly often. Usually the fine amount on the ticket is a minimum amount on the available range. The statute usually sets a fine at something like not less then $100 nor more then $500. Gives the judge a pretty wide latitude to decide what you're particular situation is worth.
                  Originally posted by kontemplerande
                  Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

What did you get a ticket for? You never said. Very often, court is a gamble and it depends on the judge. You gambled and lost. Maybe you should have just paid the original amount on the citation. Pay the new amount and move on. It's well within the right of the court to do that.

Comment

You goes to court, you takes your chances.

It's often said that going to court is like rolling the dice.

Sounds like you took your chances and lost. Suck it up and drive right.

Comment

Let's say you are are in your 20's, and you're disputing the 11th ticket you've received in your short life. And let's say you've even received a 12th ticket and totaled your while waiting for court. Yes, you could have your fine increased.

What most people don't know about tickets in Canada, is that the amount you are being charged on it is the "prescribed" amount, and is subject to being raised, or lowered as the court sees fit.

So, someone with a crappy driving history (as the driving history is almost always entered as evidence at sentencing or before) may end up having their licence suspended, the fine raised, or both.

Seems, like a raw deal. But what do you do with chronic problem drivers?

I think fines should escalate in price with in a given year. The first one is $100, the second $200, the third $400, and number four, $1000 and a suspended DL. And your insurance should reflect your recklessness, and should be $5000 a year, and if you are the primary driver, and the car is registered in someone else name, then you should be charged with fraud.

Comment

The amount that is posted as being the prepayable amount is just that. It is not a limit to the courts, once you decide to go to court, all bets are off.

Here, speeding is prepayable at $5 per mile over plus $56 court cost if prepaid before court. Judge is limited to $250 however, plus the same $56 court costs (if there is a conviction, whether prepaid or if you appear,. the court costs are paid).

A tyicket for 80 in a 65 is prepayable at 15 X $5 + $75 plus the $56 = $131.

If you come to court and contest it, possibilities range from dismissal and no fines or court costs .... all the way to a $250 fine + $56 costs = $306.

It's your choice.
                          "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb
                            I think fines should escalate in price with in a given year. The first one is $100, the second $200, the third $400, and number four, $1000 and a suspended DL. And your insurance should reflect your recklessness, and should be $5000 a year, and if you are the primary driver, and the car is registered in someone else name, then you should be charged with fraud.

Hmmm...Thats actually not a bad idea. I like the idea of a fine going up based on previous convictions.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb

What most people don't know about tickets in Canada, is that the amount you are being charged on it is the "prescribed" amount, and is subject to being raised, or lowered as the court sees fit.
                              Well, maybe they should but that on the back of the ticket with all the other fine print!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3004 users online. 159 members and 2845 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X