300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 Hour Shifts

How do 12 hour shifts work out? Are they typically 4 day a week jobs with overtime pay for hours over 40?....or is there no overtime pay?....or do you work 3 full shifts and 1 partial?

Additionally, if you would like, please post the #of hours shift you work and what you think about that type of schedule.

12 hour shifts

Alot of departments that I have seen use the spinning 2,2,3 schedule. (Its based on a 2 week period).
    Week 1: Mon Tues - ON, Wed Thurs - OFF, Fri Sat Sun - ON
    Week 2: Mon Tues - OFF, Wed Thurs - ON, Fri Sat Sun - OFF

POSITIVES: EVERY OTHER weekend OFF.
    Take 2 days off (or some departments will allow a switch/swap with
    another officer) and you have a full week off.
    12 hour shifts give you more at home time with your family (for some its a
    negative, but you get the idea)
    Many departments go with what is called "KELLY TIME" which allows for 4
    hours of 'comp' time or some departments allow it to be 'overtime' every 2
    weeks. (every 6 weeks you get a 'freebie' day)

NEGATIVES: Week 1, only work 24 hours over 7 days. Week 2 you work 60
    hours over 7 days.

Comment

We work 4 on/4 off. We don't get overtime for the extra hours, but we do get Kelly Compensation time off for them. It translates into an extra 9 days off a year. Its a very nice setup.
      Originally posted by kontemplerande
      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by BP03
        How do 12 hour shifts work out? Are they typically 4 day a week jobs with overtime pay for hours over 40?....or is there no overtime pay?....or do you work 3 full shifts and 1 partial?

Additionally, if you would like, please post the #of hours shift you work and what you think about that type of schedule.
        I am currently working a 12 hour shift, watch 3. It's a 3/12 or three twelve hour shifts per week, with a makeup day, so in all I'm working thirteen 12 hour shifts per month or deployment period. I like the free time the schedule affords, though I just came off a 4/10 schedule and it was a little easier to try to get in some sleep.

Overtime for us is anything over 12 hours per workday and at this time is vitually unlimited due to low staffing. In addition, all of our court time, on call or be there is overtime.

Comment

We work 3 on/3 off and earn 110hrs of Vacation time for the extra 8 hours we work per week.
          "Don't mistake my kindness, for weakness"

Comment

I work a 4/4 schedule (2 days, then 2 nights). Overtime paid for any extra hours on top of the shift at which time we can bank it for vacation or take the payout.

Pros:
            - 20 days annual a year work out to basically four 2 week vacations in a year.
            - flexible schedule and days off so no crowds to deal with when you need food, etc. Great for those with kids since it cuts the childcare $$$$.

Cons:
            - tough on the system going from days to nights so that eats up a good couple of days to get the body normal again.
            ..... that's about the only one i can think of off the top of my head.

I have a few buds working the 10 hour condensed work week (2 on 2 off, 3 on 2 off, 2 on 3 off, etc) and I'm glad I don't have it. The 2/3 days is nice since you only have to work a couple of shifts before getting another break but the time off works the same. Then again, a lot love it so I guess it just depends what floats your boat.

Comment

We do the spinning 2,2,3 schedule also but we don't get comp time for the extra four (being that it's actually 84 hours every two weeks). I enjoy working 12s...
              sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

I am with Smurfette here. We do the 2, 3, 2 shift. No OT for the hours over. Our checks are averaged for a 42 hour work week so we won't get a 48 hour check and a 36 hour check. I wouldnt go back to 8's ever again. 10's ..maybe. The every other weekend off thing is pretty cool too.
                Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

We also do the 2,2,3 switch schedule. We get one free day off every six weeks to compensate the extra hours worked.
                  It's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...

Comment

I'm with Smurfette & Kevin Callahan. In addition, we switch from nights to days every two weeks. My old department we did the same but were on permanent nights or days. I don't think I could work anything but 12s anymore. I could handle 10's, but I'd still want my 12s back. I love the 3 days weekends every other week.

Comment

We switch days to nights every three months. I've been with a department that did the two week rotation from days to nights which I didn't think anything of when I was 21, 22 years old...but now? LOL...Hell, it takes me two weeks to get USE to the new schedule! LOL
                      sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4422 users online. 216 members and 4206 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X