300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NY Question...

Hey, first post here but I've been watching from the shadows for a few months here. Anyways my question is how much is the fine for having illegally tinted windows in NYS? My friend got pulled over for having tints, I think the light meter said around 13% or so by a state trooper. Any help or estimates on how much the ticket usually iswould be great. I know the legal limit in NY is 70% and she was clearly over the limit. Thank you!

Double post, sorry
    Last edited by SlowDownThere; 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM.
    You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Your friend can get away without a fine at all, if she has the tinting removed and the car inspected to ensure it is compliance. Remove the tinting then stop by a Trooper's barracks. They will test it again, and provide you with a "notice of correction." You can return that to the court, along with the ticket, and the charge can be dismissed.

Actually, the charge must be dismissed, if this is done by the close of business on the next business day. Any licensed repair shop can also certify the "notice of correction."

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
        Your friend can get away without a fine at all, if she has the tinting removed and the car inspected to ensure it is compliance. Remove the tinting then stop by a Trooper's barracks. They will test it again, and provide you with a "notice of correction." You can return that to the court, along with the ticket, and the charge can be dismissed.

Actually, the charge must be dismissed, if this is done by the close of business on the next business day. Any licensed repair shop can also certify the "notice of correction."
        Ok thanks that sounds good espically if the ticket can be dismissed, I will be sure to let her know that. Is there a set dollar amount in NYS for a window tint fine? Or is it dependent on each town/village/county? I was looking at the code and I didn't see a set dollar amount for tints(say someone decided to just keep the tints on after getting ticketed,not exactly smart though). Thanks for the help!

Comment

Not NY but here it's a progressive fine. Every time you get stopped and ticketed the fine goes up. I think to 1k.

Take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by appman
            Ok thanks that sounds good espically if the ticket can be dismissed, I will be sure to let her know that. Is there a set dollar amount in NYS for a window tint fine? Or is it dependent on each town/village/county? I was looking at the code and I didn't see a set dollar amount for tints(say someone decided to just keep the tints on after getting ticketed,not exactly smart though). Thanks for the help!
            It's up to the individual court within certain limits.

1st offense: $150.00 max
            2nd offense: $300.00 max (if within 18 months of the 1st offense)
            3rd offense: $450.00 max (if all 3 are within 18 months)

There is also a mandatory $5.00 surcharge. Look at Section 1800 VTL.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowDownThere
              It's up to the individual court within certain limits.

1st offense: $150.00 max
              2nd offense: $300.00 max (if within 18 months of the 1st offense)
              3rd offense: $450.00 max (if all 3 are within 18 months)

There is also a mandatory $5.00 surcharge. Look at Section 1800 VTL.
              Perfect thats exactly what I wanted to know thank you!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4134 users online. 237 members and 3897 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X