Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LEOs who are also in the Military reserve, how do you do it?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LEOs who are also in the Military reserve, how do you do it?

Hey guys,

Got another question for you. I'm probably going to be hired here pretty soon with my local Sheriff's Office and I have been considering joining the Navy Reserve. I am prior service Army so I sorta have an idea about the military system. My concern is that the military may creep into my civilian life and make being a regular Deputy substantially harder. I have heard rumors about the two week a year thing in the military coming out of your LE agencies yearly days off, and I know I would like to not have to use my days in order to go work in the military. How do those of you in this situation deal with this? How does your agency compensate when you are on your monthly drill? Is this something that is doable, or should I just concentrate on being a civilian LEO?

Thanks in advance!
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Originally posted by LCPLPunk
    Hey guys,

Got another question for you. I'm probably going to be hired here pretty soon with my local Sheriff's Office and I have been considering joining the Navy Reserve. I am prior service Army so I sorta have an idea about the military system. My concern is that the military may creep into my civilian life and make being a regular Deputy substantially harder. I have heard rumors about the two week a year thing in the military coming out of your LE agencies yearly days off, and I know I would like to not have to use my days in order to go work in the military. How do those of you in this situation deal with this? How does your agency compensate when you are on your monthly drill? Is this something that is doable, or should I just concentrate on being a civilian LEO?

Thanks in advance!
    Even if you go Navy Reserve, expect to go to Iraq and be on the ground or on a .50. Airmen and Seamen are doing the Army's jobs on convoys. Not too enticing a time to re-up but if you do, more power to you. As far as the other, can't comment since I don't know offhand. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Comment

By law NO employer can make you use your vacation days when you do Guard or Reserve duty. They can make you take leave without pay, but you get to keep your vacation time.

Employers must give you an "equivalent position" when you return from military duty, even if you volunteered for that duty.

You should definitely check out the info here:
      http://www.esgr.org/

Comment

Well, let me tell you first hand how it works. I have been in the Army reserves for 15 years and a civilian police officer on top of it. I have deployed twice now as a reservist. During drill, your employer must give you time off. They can’t make you use vacation but don’t have to pay you either. Some employers do pay reservists for their one weekend a month and two weeks a year, but that is up to the agency. I deployed my first year with an officer from Houston PD and he was paid for the first 6 months we were deployed. I have heard of other agencies that also pay their officers during the entire deployment. Usually they are bigger agencies that can afford to do so.

Also, you can deploy as many times as you want, whether it is voluntary or not and your employer can’t do anything about it. As a matter of fact, my old agency that I worked at, they had a guy volunteer to go back active duty for three years and then he returned and they gave him his job back, at the same pay and rank. You can do that up to 5 years and be covered.

I can tell you from experience, while I was deployed my second year, they tried to remove me from the SST team because they needed the position filled. I told them they could go ahead and find a temp to fill the position but I would not give my position up. They said I could reapply when I returned. I then told them to make a decision and I wanted it in writing. A couple days later they sent me a letter stating I was going to be removed from the team and I could reapply when I returned. That was all I needed and I reported it to the ESGR. Within three days, I had a phone call, email and a written letter from the Chief of Police that I would not be removed from the team and my position would be there when I returned. ESGR representatives to not mess around and will back you 100%.

When I deployed the first time I was a detective and came back a detective but had just missed an opportunity to test for Patrol Sergeant and they let me test since I missed it due to deployment. I tested and beat out the guy they were getting ready to give it to. Of course he was hot but he got over it. I made Sergeant and went back to patrol. Not even a month later, I was deployed a second time and came back to my new patrol Sergeant position, with all the pay raises everyone else received, just like the law states they must do.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything else.
        "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

Like signal1 said. I got him beat, 3rd deployment since 01.

My PD changes my days off for Drill, this sucks because i end up working 14 to 18 days straight, but the money is fairly good. They also give me 15 Military leave days a year, that covers the 2 weeks. I am eligable for all promotions and get all raises and increases throughout the year when i am gone. They are very accomidating for my military stuff and have been for 12 years. The Military has forced me to pack my pogy and bail. To many deployments, to much bull, red tape and to many lazy fricken soldiers and officers around now a days for my taste. $15,000 tax free couldnt even keep me in. Its a great part time job, but the deployments will kill you (literally) and kill you family life and even your career even though its not suppose to. you'll miss out on things and watch people who couldnt hold your night stick get jobs and advancements that should be yours.
          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. As for my current situation, I have two months remaining on my initial 8 year service obligation. I talked with my local Navy Reserve recruiter today and he told me I could finish out the two months in a Navy reserve unit. I think I may take my chances and see how things are for those two months. If I like it I can always reup, if not, just get my papers and go, but at least I'll know.

The main reasons I am wanting to go back in is because I do like the military lifestyle and I'm really wanting to have another guaranteed retirement to count on.
            "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Originally posted by LCPLPunk
              Thanks for the replies guys. As for my current situation, I have two months remaining on my initial 8 year service obligation. I talked with my local Navy Reserve recruiter today and he told me I could finish out the two months in a Navy reserve unit. I think I may take my chances and see how things are for those two months. If I like it I can always reup, if not, just get my papers and go, but at least I'll know.

The main reasons I am wanting to go back in is because I do like the military lifestyle and I'm really wanting to have another guaranteed retirement to count on.

Does the navey have an enlistment bonus or anything like that? Can you get a school or two out of them for your enlistment, or some rank to make it worth you while?
              It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Not exactly sure about the bonuses right now. I have to talk to the recruiter tomorrow morning. As far as classes, I'll have my B.S. in about a month or so, but i guess i could always plan on getting my Masters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4311 users online. 249 members and 4062 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X