Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can any officer give speeding tickets?

When I say that, I mean officers that dont have radar equipment in their cruisers. I dont know the terminology for the technique LE uses to determine how fast someone's going is it (pacing?) im not sure but can that alone be used to write a speeding citation? I was told that there was a certification or class that had to be attended to do speeding or traffic investigation. And also, when someone's stopped for speeding and they say, "let me see the radar reading" , your not obligated to show it to them are you?

Yes, can write pace tickets without specialized class and not obligated to show radar display.

Comment

Originally posted by devil_dawg
      When I say that, I mean officers that dont have radar equipment in their cruisers. I dont know the terminology for the technique LE uses to determine how fast someone's going is it (pacing?) im not sure but can that alone be used to write a speeding citation?
      You bet. Estimating speed is accepted in court byu any lay person. Pacing, timing and measuring are more scientific, but anyone can testify in court as to an estimated speed. RADAR is just a tool to verify an estimate.
      I was told that there was a certification or class that had to be attended to do speeding or traffic investigation.
      Nope. Most academies give a cursory amount of training in traffic but there is no set rule on it.
      And also, when someone's stopped for speeding and they say, "let me see the radar reading" , your not obligated to show it to them are you?
      No. You are not. It is a courtesy IF the officer wants to allow it.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Pacing is a completely ligitimate way of measuring speed (at least in Indiana).

No, we are not required to show someone the radar if they ask to see it.
        Get Local Coupons
        Fried Wires Internet Marketing Blog - My personal blog for reviewing internet marketing products.

Comment

No, we don't have to use radar. I actually prefer pacing. Because of the type of car that I drive, when I'm behind someone, they have no idea it's a police car behind them until I hit the lights. I haven't used a radar unit in over a year. As to the other question, no, we don't have to show a violator the radar gun. I have been asked to show it before.

Comment

thanks for the replies

Comment

Can any Officer give tickets.

Second to both 10-42 Trooper, and Alabama Cop's posts. Actually, in court, it's often best to testify to an original visual estimate of speed, then a confirmation by radar, lidar, etc. Alabama Law does not require an Officer to show the violator the radar reading. It's the Officer's call, and the violator will see the reading on his copy of the citation.

Comment

Originally posted by devil_dawg
                When I say that, I mean officers that dont have radar equipment in their cruisers.
                Not required to write a speeding ticket.

[quote}I dont know the terminology for the technique LE uses to determine how fast someone's going is it (pacing?)[/quote]

Good guess. Pacing, estimating, guessing are all good terms.

im not sure but can that alone be used to write a speeding citation?
                Sure can!

I was told that there was a certification or class that had to be attended to do speeding or traffic investigation.
                Nope! No such requirements

And also, when someone's stopped for speeding and they say, "let me see the radar reading" , your not obligated to show it to them are you?
                Nope! Not required. Especially, when an officer does not use radar.

In my career I never used radar for speed enforcement. All Notices To Appear for Speed violations were written from pacing, estimating, guessing.
                Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                  Actually, in court, it's often best to testify to an original visual estimate of speed, then a confirmation by radar, lidar, etc.
                  If we had someone fighting a summons back in MO, all three PAs I had, would want us to testify just like that.......

Comment

I had a lady demand to see my radar so I showed her where it was located at in my car. She demanded to know why I hadn't locked the speed she was going and I told her I didn't have too. She was pretty unhappy about that. This was all after she told me that she was a lawyer and she would see me in court. She never did contest the cite.

As for the question, I was taught to estimate the speed of the target vehicle first and then activate my radar unit.

Comment

As already stated.......visual estimation, pacing, radar, Lidar are all methods for determining speed. Radar and lidar require training/certificates. Visual estimation is the hardest to get a win in court around here......judges really like the radar/lidar confirmation on a visual estimation.

I run a lot of stationary radar/lidar in the city but pacing on the freeway since not too many people seem to see the marked police motorcycle with the guy in the uniform RIGHT BEHIND THEM at 85-90mph. It is amazing how many people do not look in their rear view mirrors..

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz
                        It is amazing how many people do not look in their rear view mirrors..
                        Especially when you are running code 3...

Best pace I ever got was 110.

Comment

Nope.. I can pace, time, estimate, use radar, lazer, charge you with speed greater than reasonable for condions if the conditions warrant( even if you were going the speed limit). No, we are not required to show you the lazer/radar results.
                          John 3:16

Comment

I just went through another long dull radar class for our new radars. We were told that some states are more strict about the use of radar. Some have to lock in the speed and if asked are required to show it to the offender.

Fortunately here in Texas we dont have to do either. I use pacing all the time. And we are taught here to identify, estimate, then verify with the radar.

One of my favorite tickets to write is Driving to fast for conditions. How fast is to fast. If I feel that what ever speed your driving at is to fast for the layout of the road, or its raining, or construction zone its a ticket. I dont even have to know how fast you were going. I just have to be able to testify why it was to fast.
                            Last edited by MOGSOT; 04-17-2007, 05:26 AM.
                            The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

I don't lock it in, so they can't see it. The real reason, though, is that I figure it's a TINY bit safer for me to have it on. Maybe that guy with a RD will get pinged and slow down as he approaches me. Besides, that just reinforces the idea that their RD saved them. Maybe, after he passes me, he speeds up and one of my esteemed colleagues gets him.
                              If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2948 users online. 138 members and 2810 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X