Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much driver training have you received after the Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by StudChris
    Here's kind of an add-on question. I know there are training classes that you can try to get your department to send you to (advanced report writing, shooting courses, advanced investigating technigues, so on and what not). I know Blackwater has bodyguard driving courses and such, but are there other advanced EVOC courses that agencies ever send their front line officers to (maybe run by the highway patrol or something)?
    There are many. With my dept. the instructors are the ones that go to them. Two of ours went to California last year for some sort of driver training. Not sure what it was. They in turn train us. We use the EVO track at our state acedemy, I sometimes can't believe we get paid to do that, I would almost pay myself-its that much fun. (PITS are a blast)

Leave a comment:

• StudChris
    replied
    Originally posted by j706
    I work in Indiana for a small (25 member) Dept. We train every year on EVOC and PIT. Sometimes twice a year. One thing you must keep in mind on this subject. Police officers for the most part live in their cars. We drive at high speeds almost every shift. On average police officers are very good drivers, regardless of anual training. We drive alot. Seatbelts? Four things I always do without fail 1) body armor 2) duty weapon 3) backup weapon 4) seatbelt-always everyday without fail
    Here's kind of an add-on question. I know there are training classes that you can try to get your department to send you to (advanced report writing, shooting courses, advanced investigating technigues, so on and what not). I know Blackwater has bodyguard driving courses and such, but are there other advanced EVOC courses that agencies ever send their front line officers to (maybe run by the highway patrol or something)?

Leave a comment:

• j706
    replied
    Originally posted by LCPLPunk
    Howdy,

With all the Officer injuries/deaths I have seen posted from vehicle accidents, I was curious to see how much driver training you have received AFTER the academy. I have heard this is often an overlooked skill, so I wanted to see if agencies have taken note and added additional time for training.

Please post what you've done and what agency/state you are from.

Thanks in advance!
    I work in Indiana for a small (25 member) Dept. We train every year on EVOC and PIT. Sometimes twice a year. One thing you must keep in mind on this subject. Police officers for the most part live in their cars. We drive at high speeds almost every shift. On average police officers are very good drivers, regardless of anual training. We drive alot. Seatbelts? Four things I always do without fail 1) body armor 2) duty weapon 3) backup weapon 4) seatbelt-always everyday without fail
    Last edited by j706; 04-17-2007, 05:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Taylor1430
    replied
    Had quite a bit back in the academy days but we receive no additional training...unless we have 3 accidents within a certain period of time. If that happens, the send us back up to EVOC. This includes accidents that are not your fault. One officer on my platoon has been rearended multiple times while stopped at traffic lights...and off to EVOC he went.

As for seatbelts, I always where mine. The only time I generally take it off while driving is just prior to entering one of our many public housing communities.

Leave a comment:

• lionheart45
    replied
    Tons in the academy, zero after.

Leave a comment:

• gopherpuckfan
    replied
    Originally posted by deputy x 2
    I wear mine enroute to ALL calls. It is a habit to unclick about a block before I arrive. (I even do it in my POV)
    Same here. I'll also take it off if I'm driving through parking lots or side streets.

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by AlabamaCop
    I always wear mine. I can't stand not wearing it. Sometimes I'll take it off when I'm about to get to a hot call, but that's it.
    I wear mine enroute to ALL calls. It is a habit to unclick about a block before I arrive. (I even do it in my POV)

Leave a comment:

• AlabamaCop
    replied
    I always wear mine. I can't stand not wearing it. Sometimes I'll take it off when I'm about to get to a hot call, but that's it.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    Originally posted by ask80
    how many of you guys, just curious, actually wear the seat belts all the time? i know guys that don't cuz if SHTF , it's one less thing they have to worry about.
    I do, although on a hot call, I generally get en route and put it on when I get a chance. If I have to turn on a speeder, I would rather not throw myself into the passenger seat.

If you don't wear your belt, every time, here's my question for you:
    How often do you hit the streets with an unloaded gun? You hardly ever have needed one.

Leave a comment:

• ask80
    replied
    how many of you guys, just curious, actually wear the seat belts all the time? i know guys that don't cuz if SHTF , it's one less thing they have to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• School Cop
    replied
    NONE since the academy - unless you count floorin' it when I leave the jail and seeing if my bucket of bolts hits 100 before the bend in the road.

I wish we did get some; then again, I work in a school and am still waiting to be sent to active shooter school.

Leave a comment:

• e-man
    replied
    I had my 40 hr course during the acaddemy and get retrained every single shift. I drive ebtween 60 and 90 miles a shift and wear my seatbelt.
    Good enough. Its the law of averages, the more one drives the more chance he has of crashing. Just minimizing the injury and departmental screwing and its all good.....Wear your seatbelt and slow down a few MPHs

Leave a comment:

• ask80
    replied
    and use common sense ( like not driving too fast in nasty weather conditions)..

i only had 2 days of EVOC training at SBSO... and it was pouring too.. so i guess the training was a lil tougher

Leave a comment:

• deputy x 2
    replied
    Originally posted by xdrcx
    Ill give the class...

Wear your seatbelt!!

Class dismissed
    Don't get tunnel vision.

Don't get sucked in.

Don't drive above your abilities.

Leave a comment:

• xdrcx
    replied
    Ill give the class...

Wear your seatbelt!!

Class dismissed

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2546 users online. 159 members and 2387 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X