Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much driver training have you received after the Academy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much driver training have you received after the Academy?

Howdy,

With all the Officer injuries/deaths I have seen posted from vehicle accidents, I was curious to see how much driver training you have received AFTER the academy. I have heard this is often an overlooked skill, so I wanted to see if agencies have taken note and added additional time for training.

Please post what you've done and what agency/state you are from.

Thanks in advance!
    "Our citizenship in the United States is our national character...Our great title is AMERICANS." - Thomas Paine

"The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone." - Harriet Beecher Stowe

One eight hour class and one four hour class each year. The four hour class is mostly classroom stuff and the eight hour is mostly doing driving courses. We've also done pursuit training and trained in boxing people in. Spike strips are also part of the pursuit course.

Comment

One eight hour course a year. This includes a little bit of classroom stuff but the rest is driving.

Comment

Ill give the class...

Wear your seatbelt!!

Class dismissed

Comment

Originally posted by xdrcx
          Ill give the class...

Wear your seatbelt!!

Class dismissed
          Don't get tunnel vision.

Don't get sucked in.

Don't drive above your abilities.
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

and use common sense ( like not driving too fast in nasty weather conditions)..

i only had 2 days of EVOC training at SBSO... and it was pouring too.. so i guess the training was a lil tougher

Comment

I had my 40 hr course during the acaddemy and get retrained every single shift. I drive ebtween 60 and 90 miles a shift and wear my seatbelt.
              Good enough. Its the law of averages, the more one drives the more chance he has of crashing. Just minimizing the injury and departmental screwing and its all good.....Wear your seatbelt and slow down a few MPHs
              I got nothing for now

Comment

NONE since the academy - unless you count floorin' it when I leave the jail and seeing if my bucket of bolts hits 100 before the bend in the road.

I wish we did get some; then again, I work in a school and am still waiting to be sent to active shooter school.
                If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

how many of you guys, just curious, actually wear the seat belts all the time? i know guys that don't cuz if SHTF , it's one less thing they have to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by ask80
                    how many of you guys, just curious, actually wear the seat belts all the time? i know guys that don't cuz if SHTF , it's one less thing they have to worry about.
                    I do, although on a hot call, I generally get en route and put it on when I get a chance. If I have to turn on a speeder, I would rather not throw myself into the passenger seat.

If you don't wear your belt, every time, here's my question for you:
                    How often do you hit the streets with an unloaded gun? You hardly ever have needed one.
                    If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I always wear mine. I can't stand not wearing it. Sometimes I'll take it off when I'm about to get to a hot call, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlabamaCop
                        I always wear mine. I can't stand not wearing it. Sometimes I'll take it off when I'm about to get to a hot call, but that's it.
                        I wear mine enroute to ALL calls. It is a habit to unclick about a block before I arrive. (I even do it in my POV)
                        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                          I wear mine enroute to ALL calls. It is a habit to unclick about a block before I arrive. (I even do it in my POV)
                          Same here. I'll also take it off if I'm driving through parking lots or side streets.
                          The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

Tons in the academy, zero after.

Comment

Had quite a bit back in the academy days but we receive no additional training...unless we have 3 accidents within a certain period of time. If that happens, the send us back up to EVOC. This includes accidents that are not your fault. One officer on my platoon has been rearended multiple times while stopped at traffic lights...and off to EVOC he went.

As for seatbelts, I always where mine. The only time I generally take it off while driving is just prior to entering one of our many public housing communities.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6242 users online. 331 members and 5911 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X