300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Officer or Policy Analyst?

Hello, I was recently offered a police officer position and I am currently employed with the State as a policy analyst. I started this job as a promotion this week and now I am very torn between being an officer which has been a dream of mine for a long time and continuing a stableand progressive career with DHS. Any advice helps. I have no experience with law enforcement at all. So I am concerned that although this has been an area of passion to me, I might not like it eventually and give up an incredible opportunity with the State. Lastly and most importantly, any advice on how I would approach my brand new employer and tell them that I am leaving? I feel so guilty over this and would be happy to provide further details.

What has better benefits and is better for YOU?
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

While I have no interest in this point in my life in going back into a uniformed police officer job, I’d still rather do that (or even shove a pencil into my eye socket) before I’d ever want to do any job analyzing policies!
      Last edited by Kimble; 09-07-2018, 08:09 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

We can't make life decisions for you.......
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Do what's best for you and for your family, if you have one. It's your life, your career. Ask yourself what would you find more fulfilling, look at the financial difference/benefits each position offers, and talk it over with close friends/family who know you well. End of the day, do what's right for you.

Comment

Lastly and most importantly, any advice on how I would approach my brand new employer and tell them that I am leaving? I feel so guilty over this

There's no good advice to give. You tell them you are leaving; then they hire someone to fill your spot. Unless you are doing something wrong, there's nothing to feel guilty about. In a matter of weeks they will mostly forget you were ever there.

JB-chimera_of_kyuss-by_Joachim_Barrum-650x90922.jpg

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

You can become a cop and maybe one day have policy written about you. Best of both worlds

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
                You can become a cop and maybe one day have policy written about you. Best of both worlds
                I resemble that
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not to belittle your new job, but where I'm at, analyst positions in my state government are "dime a dozen" assistants to management. They are expected to be jacks of all trades who do all the scut work for managers in just about any area where help is needed.

Assuming you state government works the same as mine, my whole point here is, if you were good enough to get the job you currently have, you should be good enough to get reinstated to it again if you find being a cop doesn't work out for you.

Look into your state's civil service rules about reinstatement after leaving. I suspect you'll feel a lot better.

Someone once said becoming a cop is like getting a front row seat to the greatest show on earth and on top of that, you get paid to go. I think you'll be glad you took the chance.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I resemble that
                    Me three. Case Law too!
                    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by m.p.c View Post
                      Image result for daddy where do policies come from

SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Will you regret not taking the police officer position? Is it truly your dream?
                        Sergeant, US Army 2004-2009
                        Sergeant, Army National Guard 2009-2016
                        The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9018 users online. 364 members and 8654 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X