Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agencies That Only Hiring A Few Candidates

Greetings Gentlemen/Madams:

I was looking and called a few agencies that were hiring and I noticed that some of them were looking to hire just a few I guess my opinion due to the budget that they were given.....My first thought was that the competition among myself and others would be very high in getting selected for a position....I don't think I will ever wanting to apply for an agency that only wants a few to hire.......Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the competition to a certain extent especially with the nick picking afterwards.... So my question to the law enforcement experts on this forum, if any agency out there are desperately needing officers, why just not hire more than a few in order to fill all positions and more so that the problem will never happen again....Comments? Facts? Opinions?

I don’t mean this to sound snarky or condescending, but it’s not clear from what you posted whether you realize that many LE agencies in the U.S. do not have budgets that allow them (even if they wanted to) to hire large candidate pools for new officer positions. You can have all the “wants” in the world, but if you don’t have the funds to pay for them they’ll remain wants.
    sigpic

Comment

• 13B Veteran
      13B Veteran commented
      Editing a comment
      So it basically depends on the funding...Gotcha...Thanks for your reply.

Law enforcement (and all government agencies) are budgeted to employ a specific number of personnel. You can't hire a new person until an existing one quits, gets fired, retires, promotes or dies, or sufficient funding and justification is found to add new positions.

How money is allocated to different government agencies for staffing is complicated and depends on a lot of factors, including, but not limited to: demonstrated need; funding sources; competition for funding from other government agencies; public pressure; political pressure; lawsuits; salary savings; pet projects; and a whole list of others. I wish it was as simple as you think it is.

To complicate things, budgeting is done well in advance toi ensure sufficient funds are available. My agency's budget ($2 Billion) runs from July 1st to June 30th. The July 2018/ June 2019 fiscal year budget was planned and approved in April of 2017, based on tax funds that had come in as of that date and were set aside to fund the 18/19 fiscal year. Money coming in now is being set aside for the 20/21 fiscal year. That year's budhget will be formalized in April of 2019.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• 13B Veteran
      13B Veteran commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok great...Very detailed and .understandable....Thanks for your reply.

Originally posted by 13B Veteran View Post
    Greetings Gentlemen/Madams:

I was looking and called a few agencies that were hiring and I noticed that some of them were looking to hire just a few I guess my opinion due to the budget that they were given.....My first thought was that the competition among myself and others would be very high in getting selected for a position....I don't think I will ever wanting to apply for an agency that only wants a few to hire.......Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the competition to a certain extent especially with the nick picking afterwards.... So my question to the law enforcement experts on this forum, if any agency out there are desperately needing officers, why just not hire more than a few in order to fill all positions and more so that the problem will never happen again....Comments? Facts? Opinions?
    One word answer

BUDGET
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The cost of hiring someone alone, and then training them is a huge expense. From the date of hire, it can take nearly a year before an officer is completely trained and on their own. On top of that, every time our investigators do background checks takes away from other investigations/work they could be doing.

Most agencies, especially smaller ones, turn to overtime to fill the gap. It saves them money from hiring a new person and paying them a full salary/medical/etc while fulfilling the immediate need of having someone working a vacant spot.
      Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Maybe they are only hiring a few people because they only have a few vacancies. How many vacancies do they have compared to how many people they are hiring?

Comment

• 13B Veteran
          13B Veteran commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked into Alabama Highway Patrol saying that they are under strength but needing to fill 60 openings....Also Found out they hired a few to do a 10 week lateral class ( certified personel) that started 5th of August and a few more to start a class in October.

Training and back ground checks can be an issue in deciding how many to hire at one time. Even if they have the budget to fill all the vacancies.

They may need 10 officers but if the academy only has slots for 5 officers then they'll likely only hire 5 this time around.

Comment

• 13B Veteran
          13B Veteran commented
          Editing a comment
          You are correct.

One last thing to think about, if an agency only has a few vacancies, that usually means no one wants to leave. In turn, that usually signifies its a good place to work for, so not wanting to test where they only want to hire a few people might be a bad idea.

Check into the agency before you make up your mind.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• 13B Veteran
          13B Veteran commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes of course I am checking into them all before i make a decision to see who have the budget to hire and can afford to have at least 2 academies a year......I think chances of getting selected will be better only if they are hiring a large number..

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4080 users online. 230 members and 3850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X