Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a cop from accross the state cite you?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a cop from accross the state cite you?

I was on the freeway today in Michigan and a cop from a city at least a few counties away (city cop, not county or state) was rolling down the freeway. Everyone was kind of flanked behind him afraid to pass. In Michigan at least, where local police do not have statewide powers, can they pull someone over for speeding if they are well out of their jurisdiction?
    Last edited by michiganDT; 04-15-2007, 03:28 AM.

This is Arizona Law

ARS 13-3871. Authority of peace officers

The authority of a peace officer may extend in any of the following circumstances to any place within the state:

1. Where he has the prior consent of the chief of police, marshal, sheriff, or other department or agency head with peace officer jurisdiction, or his duly authorized representative, having the primary responsibility for law enforcement within the jurisdiction or territory.

2. Under any of the circumstances set forth in section 13-3883.

ARS 13-3883B. A peace officer may stop and detain a person as is reasonably necessary to investigate an actual or suspected violation of any traffic law committed in the officer's presence and may serve a copy of the traffic complaint for any alleged civil or criminal traffic violation. A peace officer who serves a copy of the traffic complaint shall do so within a reasonable time of the alleged criminal or civil traffic violation.

It would have to be pretty bad for me to stop someone if I wasn't in my normal area of operations. My Sgt. would be plenty upset if I was to cite someone in Douglas if I lived in Flagstaff (only about seven or eight hours away)and had to go to court if the person contested the cite.

It would have to be something criminal like reckless or aggressive driving or a possible DUI. Something along those lines that I could justify to my supervisor.
    Last edited by Desert DPS; 04-15-2007, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Every state is different. Except for two years during the 80s when the legislature enacted a bill worded just the opposite from the legislative intent, Nevada LE officers have police powers throughout the state, without limitation. As a Reno PD officer, I could have driven my POV down to Las Vegas and made traffic stops on Fremont Avenue, and they would have been perfectly lawful stops. More accurately, they would have been lawful for the first twenty minutes or so until someone could call my chief and have me fired.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Jurisdiction for California is statewide. Ive had a couple of people blow by me and swear up and down that I could not give them a ticket because I was just a "city cop" and I was out of my jurisdiction. They kept saying that all the way up to the point where I told them to sign the ticket or get put in handcuffs. Never had one of them show up in court .....must have looked it up and realized they were wrong. Other states jurisdiction can end at city/county line unless it is an emergency. Some states I have heard have agreements between agencies where jurisdiction is extended to multiple areas. Hopefully someone from Michigan can clarify this for your area.

Comment

Cop from accross the state.

In Alabama a municipal officer is limited to the county his city is in. A Deputy Sheriff is limited to his county, unless either is in fresh pursuit. In that case, an arrest by those officers can be made anywhere in the state.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
            In Alabama a municipal officer is limited to the county his city is in. A Deputy Sheriff is limited to his county, unless either is in fresh pursuit. In that case, an arrest by those officers can be made anywhere in the state.
            In Alabama, an APOSTC certified officer has police powers anywhere in the state. The only thing that being in fresh pursuit changes is which court to run the charges through. If I stop a car or make an arrest on the other side of the state, I have to run it through that jurisdictions court system. If I chase someone out of my jurisdiction, I can run everything through my court system, even though some of the offenses happened in other jurisdictions.
            Last edited by AlabamaCop; 04-15-2007, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I'm just a reserve in Michigan. I think being MCOLES certified gives you statewide police powers but you have hell to pay if you were a Grand Rapids Cop (West side of state) and pulled someone over in Detroit(East side of state). If any full time guys know please let us know cause I'm curious
              If he knocks your teeth out swallow them and hit back, never give up because an officer doesn't deserve to die on a dirty street.

Comment

Alabama Cop, every Law Enforcement Officer in Alabama is required to be APOST certified within nine months of appointment as a peace officer. Consult your Code of Alabama regarding jurisdictional limits for Municipal Peace Officers and Sheriff's Deputies. Believe me, I'd have absolutely no problem with the scenario you suggest. For the present though, it's as i described it.

Comment

Originally posted by michiganDT
                  I was on the freeway today in Michigan and a cop from a city at least a few counties away (city cop, not county or state) was rolling down the freeway. Everyone was kind of flanked behind him afraid to pass. In Michigan at least, where local police do not have statewide powers, can they pull someone over for speeding if they are well out of their jurisdiction?
                  It totally depends on your state's laws.

Being certified state wide just means you can get a job and carry your LEO certification with you to other places in the state, so you don't have to go through school again. States do this so that there is some consistancy in how law is enforced.

Having statewide powers of arrest is a totally different issue. Being state certified does not necessarily empower one with state wide powers of arrest.

Check your own state's laws.

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

As is posted above, California officers have jurisdiction statewide. A CHP officer who used to be stationed in this county had to come back for court one day. He came down on duty, and wrote traffic cites in each of the eight counties through which he passed on the way down.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

In Indiana a police officer is just that, a police officer. I can write a ticket or make an arrest anywhere in the state with out restiction. Now there are some problems with this like where do you write a ticket to ect. Plus I would feel kinda akward doing so if I was very far from home.
                      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

in arizona we may all have state wide jurisdiction but its against about everyones policy to write outside work hours and obvious your work area.

I have phx tickets and i would love to write some of these fools who live near me on there atv's on the residential roads but i would get fired

also my tickets dont work in other cities or so i would imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by OverCharged
                          in arizona we may all have state wide jurisdiction but its against about everyones policy to write outside work hours and obvious your work area.

I have phx tickets and i would love to write some of these fools who live near me on there atv's on the residential roads but i would get fired

also my tickets dont work in other cities or so i would imagine.
                          Our tickets have each of the courthouses in the county listed and you just pick the one closest to where you are at. There is also a space to write inanother courthouse location. If I am out of my own county then I simply ask dispatch for the "county seat" location for where I am at and write that in. I very rarely stop anybody out of the county, but if they are stupid enough they are going to get stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                            Alabama Cop, every Law Enforcement Officer in Alabama is required to be APOST certified within nine months of appointment as a peace officer. Consult your Code of Alabama regarding jurisdictional limits for Municipal Peace Officers and Sheriff's Deputies. Believe me, I'd have absolutely no problem with the scenario you suggest. For the present though, it's as i described it.
                            Actually, per rule 650-X-2-.01, an officer must be certified within six months of appointment. Alot of the rules regarding APOSTC have changed in recent years. Also, I have searched the Code of Alabama and can't find the law you're talking about. I have never seen any law on this, but I was tought by the academy, supervisors and instructors that any officer in the state, once certified, has statewide arrest powers. They may have taught you differently at the state trooper academy, but that's what they're teaching at the state law enforcement academies. We are taught that the jurisdiction is just the jurisdiction of the courts and that officers have statewide powers. Also, as many have said, if I did make a traffic stop or arrest on the other side of the state, there better have been no other choice and someone better have been in danger, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have a job when I got back.

Like I said, I have never seen any law on this first hand so I could be wrong, but this is the way I have been told. If you are right, I know several officers that have violated this law without anything being said to them about it.

Comment

MCOLES certification does not give you statewide police powers.

Michigan cops have their law enforcement powers under the authority of the jurisdiction where they work. Again, like other states, if you are "deputized" by the county or neighboring city you have police powers there as well.

JB

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6369 users online. 335 members and 6034 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X