300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion/Salary

How do promotions work? .. For becoming a detective or lieutenant. Is it based on merit or exams?

Do you need to have an immaculate record to get a promotion? What I mean is.. do you need to have a perfect history prior to becoming LE? (for example: you can't become a sergeant because you smoked weed when you were 16)

I will be getting a college degree so I guess I can become a detective... what are the positives and negatives of being a detective. Do they get paid less?

Is my application in one state going to be on record in another state?

this is a random question but i know this guy who has been heavily involved in gangs and has never been arrested.. how is he allowed to become a cop? I don't think that's fair considering his gangster lifestyle.

another random one: Does anyone pull over motorcycles going 150+mph?
    Last edited by Kangol160; 04-14-2007, 06:45 PM.

Originally posted by Kangol160
    How do promotions work? .. For becoming a detective or lieutenant. Is it based on merit or exams?

Depends on the department and position. For some of our positions it is a two interview process if you meet the minimum qualifications. Some require an exam and interview.

Do you need to have an immaculate record to get a promotion? What I mean is.. do you need to have a perfect history prior to becoming LE? (for example: you can't become a sergeant because you smoked weed when you were 16)

Once you become an officer your background package is rarely brought up again. If your background was good enough to be hired as an officer then our background is good enough to promote. It is your actions while your are with the department (or who you know )

I will be getting a college degree so I guess I can become a detective... what are the positives and negatives of being a detective. Do they get paid less?

Uhhh....that is an interesting way to look at it. With my department your degree may help you get hired, but how good of a cop you are is what gets you promoted to detective (or once again who you know ). There are a lot of people with degrees out there who cant find their way out of a paper sack.

Is my application in one state going to be on record in another state?

No...your application is going to be on record with the department you applied for. When you list it on your application a B.I. will call that department.

this is a random question but i know this guy who has been heavily involved in gangs and has never been arrested.. how is he allowed to become a cop? I don't think that's fair considering his gangster lifestyle.

Theres always one that slips through the cracks. I dont know of too many gangsters that havent been arrested for something or other..... either he's not as much of a gangster as you think or hes really good at hiding it. There are a few bad apples everywhere...sounds like he may be one.

another random one: Does anyone pull over motorcycles going 150+mph?
    Since most patrol cars and even the new BMW and Honda police motorcycles dont go 150+mph I would have to say that I have never pulled one over. Thats what helicopters and radios are for. You can outrun me but not my motorola. We catch some of them and some get away...... the ones that get away going that fast are going to be an organ donor someday soon and I have seen many, many idiots that crash their motorcycle in Southern California.

Comment

In most cases an investigative (detective) position is not considered a "promotion." It is a separate job function within the agency. A college degree will not necessarily help you gain an investigative position. It obviously doesn't hurt, but some people are better at investigative skills than others, and they usually stick out. Your experience and actions on the road are the best signs to supervisors whether you will do well in other aspects of the job. Don't get caught up in the CSI/Law & Order mentality. Some of the best cases solved start with good investigative work by patrol units. That's where everyone starts so that's where you need to be focused.

I believe it's safe to say that all of us would arrest a motorcycle rider going 100+ mph. Things to consider is: will I be able to catch up to him, is there enough evidence to arrest later, or is this going to be a pursuit.

Regardless of the outcome, he will get arrested sooner or later and/or be peeled off the road.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Depending upon the department, usually there is an exam given.

Something like drug use isn't something that would prevent you becoming promoted to SGT or LT. If that were an issue, they would have never hired you.
        -Stay safe

Comment

Thank you all for your responses

I was wondering what some of the advantages or disadvantages (pluses &minuses) of being a detective over Lieutenant/Sergeant.

Also what is the most dangerous position as an LE and what is the safest one? (in your opinion)

thanks ahead of time

Comment

Also what is the most dangerous position as an LE and what is the safest one? (in your opinion)
            Most dangerous, Patrol, night shift. Or, in a large agency, probably Traffic.

Least dangerous would HAVE to be Chief. Although he/she has less job security.
            If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

Thank you all for your responses

I was wondering what some of the advantages or disadvantages (pluses &minuses) of being a detective over Lieutenant/Sergeant.

thanks ahead of time
              Here is the progression of rank in my department.

Officer (patrol or detective)
              Agent (patrol or detective)
              Sgt
              Lt
              Captain
              Chief

Advantage of being a detective (officer or agent) is you are doing 100% police work ( not managing people like a Sgt or Lt), manage your own case load and can still rotate and work the streets. Many of our Sgt's and Lt's often say the time they had the most fun was when they were a detective. Disadvantage is lower pay than if you promote and possible burnout.

As far as what is the most dangerous position.....that is going to change by department or area. The SWAT guys will usually say its them, the graveyard patrol guys will say they have the most dangerous shift, and so on. If you look at statistics for the last 5 years or so in my area Traffic Motors have been killed the most. There is not a day that goes by that I am not almost hit by a car...luckily due to training and skill I see it coming and take appropriate action to avoid a collision, but riding 100+ miles a day on a police motor is much more dangerous than when I was in patrol. Do I kick in doors throwing flashbangs and carry an assault rifle.....no and that is dangerous too so it all depends on how you look at it I guess.

And as School Cop said.....for least dangerous.....how many Chiefs or Captains have you seen getting killed on a traffic stop, shot on a hot call, etc. No job security but not very dangerous.

Comment

I'm curious, for NorthEast esp NYPD, what is the average age one becomes sergeant or lieutenant? What about detective?

thanks

Comment

Disadvantage of having rank over patrol officers.

Let us all make a safe assumption that all departments are going to vary in this matter; but as with my department, having supervisory status means less overtime opportunities. Patrol officers are usually given first picks at call offs/details since the city does not have to pay the salary of a sgt or lt. to fulfill the task. Hope this helps, because its something to seriously consider when your working hard to obtain 3 good years for retirement purposes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3715 users online. 273 members and 3442 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X