300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overtime?? How much?

I would like to know info on how much overtime $ you can make on average. I will be taking a big pay cut to step into the LE world in my area...and would like to make sure I will be able to provide for my family. I realize I may have to drop a few hobbies...but im sure it will be well worth it. Also my wife will not be working soon...we have a baby on the way in sept. (the main reason for these questions) Thank you in advance.

Why would you want to take a pay cut?

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

OT is going to depend on your department, what type of job in LE you have (corrections,transport,officer,etc), your cities finances, etc. I made an additional 40-45% of my base pay last year for OT due to being on a motor. Others in my department didnt have nearly that much.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanG
        Why would you want to take a pay cut?

I dont want to take a pay cut....but have wanted to become a LE officer my whole life. Right now I am a Service Manager for a Mazda dealer in Annapolis, MD (the pay would drop avg about 30k a year) But I have seen LE officers living in bigger houses and better areas than me...I would think it was a result of overtime and/or 2nd security jobs. I would love to make the position switch without getting hurt to badly to start off, untill I worked my way up.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz
          OT is going to depend on your department, what type of job in LE you have (corrections,transport,officer,etc), your cities finances, etc. I made an additional 40-45% of my base pay last year for OT due to being on a motor. Others in my department didnt have nearly that much.
          Motor??

(motorcycle? right)

Comment

Originally posted by Jcentsr6
            But I have seen LE officers living in bigger houses and better areas than me...I would think it was a result of overtime and/or 2nd security jobs.
            Not necessarily. As a LEO, I made descent money, and had great benefits, but it was DW(darling wife) who made the real $ snaps $

Originally posted by Jcentsr6
            Motor??

(motorcycle? right)
            Right.
            "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Does a morotcycle cop get higher pay?

I roadrace motorcyles...maybe that can help

Comment

If you go in depending on OT,you will likely screw yourself
                Leave Space Empty

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC

Starting to look that way huh.

Comment

Look, why take a pay cut. It looks like you make pretty good money now. Sure, you can probably make double (or triple, depending on where you are) your salary with OT, and off duty jobs. But why?? It takes away from family time, and your wife (significant other) will not appreciate it too much. If sacrificing all this is worth it and its in your heart to become one, good luck.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Have you considered keeping your current job, and becoming a reserve?
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by GPOC
                        Absolutely....never go in depending on OT to pay your bills. I can live off of my base pay, but that OT is great for fixing up the house, buying toys, paying off bills early, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz
                          Absolutely....never go in depending on OT to pay your bills. I can live off of my base pay, but that OT is great for fixing up the house, buying toys, paying off bills early, etc.
                          Truer words have never been spoken on the subject.

OT is never a guarantee in LE. It's usually very instance-specific. I might have 20 hours of overtime on one check and nothing on the next, simply because I had a particularly busy week and the action happened to fall at the end of shift.

Plus, you're dealing with government finances. A department gets a specific budget each year and, when the budget gets low or it looks like the department is overspending, the first thing that gets axed is overtime.

Like Fuzz said, never depend on OT to pay the bills. You should be able to live on only your base pay.
                          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4074 users online. 197 members and 3877 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X