300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW Database

I live in Colorado and recently the state congress has changed a few laws regarding CCW's. The first law that changed if you are a Colorado resident you may not use an out of state permit and currently I carry on a Utah permit. I made the decision to go with an out of state permit because Colorado residence granted a CCW are put into the persons of interest database. This law was to sunset in July of 07. Right after banning out of state permits congress then passed a law extending the sunset time for another 4 years.

I have been reluctant to apply for a Colorado permit simple because I would be put into this database. My question to the officers here, am I over reacting to this? I have never had problems with the law and don't feel that an officer would abuse the knowledge. I think it's the issue of an upstanding citizen being placed in a criminal database that I don't like.

And can someone tell me what other things are placed in the persons of interest database? Thanks for the opinions.

Seems like there would be more to that then you just being uneasy about being on a list. Persons of interest doesn't mean everyone of them is a criminal, just someone the officer should know about. You'd be doing a service to the police by agreeing to that CCW list since if they pull you over and KNOW you have CCW, it'll be better than finding out right there on the spot you are carrying. My .02

Comment

As aftermath explained, the list surely doesn't imply that people on it are criminals. Normally (in Tennessee) when I run a driver's license check, if the driver has a CCW then the database let's me know about it. If I find out by the database and not by the holder while they are carrying, then they are going to get a lecture. They are taught in CCW classes to notify law enforcement upon contact when they are carrying.

Besides, if Colorado does not have a reciprocity agreement with any other states regarding CCW's, then you will probably be arrested for unlawful carry if you choose not to get a CO permit. I don't see that you have too many options if you still want to carry your weapon.
      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Ccw

State Congress? Maybe in Colorado, but in all the other states they're called Legislatures. Some other things too, but we'll try to keep it clean. Unless Colorado grants reciprocity to Utah CCW permits, you've got a problem. You remedy the problem by getting a Colorado permit. I suggest that if you have problems with that, you don't carry concealed.

Comment

First, let me state that you are a Colorado resident and if you wish to LAWFULLY carry a concealed weapon, you MUST be licensed by the State of Colorado! Once you moved from Utah, your current permit expires because you are no longer a resident. Works the same way with driver's license, auto registration, etc.

Second, according the the below website, Colorado is fairly liberal in issuing CCW permits and giving reciprocity to a number of other states' CCW permits.

http://www.packing.org/state/colorado/

Lastly, in my opinion, you are over-reacting to the "LIST" that carries the names of those permitted for CCW. You are on other lists - driving records, registration records, business owner records, voting records, utilities records, etc.

Suggestion: Comply with local law. Get properly credentialed and relax!!!
          Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Just to make it clear, I have no intention carrying illegally. Either I get a Colorado permit or I don't carry. It sounds like over all you guys don't feel it's a big deal and if you where a civilian you wouldn't have a problem being registered and put into a database. That's all I'm wondering.

I know a lot of guys in Colorado who are trying to decide if they are going to still carry with the new laws going into effect so I was getting some LEO opinions. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by mrshish
              Just to make it clear, I have no intention carrying illegally. Either I get a Colorado permit or I don't carry. It sounds like over all you guys don't feel it's a big deal and if you where a civilian you wouldn't have a problem being registered and put into a database. That's all I'm wondering.

I know a lot of guys in Colorado who are trying to decide if they are going to still carry with the new laws going into effect so I was getting some LEO opinions. Thanks for the help.

I work in Colorado.

You are not put into a "list", nor will your good name be associated with criminals or criminal activity.

If you come into contact with Law Enforcement, it will simply say that you are a CCW holder.

Yes, every CCW holder can be compiled onto one list...but who cares? Nobody is going to keep their eye out for you because you have a CCW. They're a dime a dozen in this state.

Plus, we realize that the majority of CCW holders are good people, and we do not freak out when their names hit as a CCW holder.

It's really a non-issue.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6319 users online. 313 members and 6006 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X