300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right of Way

I have wondered this for many years and am wondering what the true answer is, if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

While driving on a road that is 4 lanes, 2 in each direction. The speed limit is 60 and I am in the left lane as there are cars going 50-55 in the right lane. The right lane is moderately congested, enough so if I merged over I'd be braking right away. While in the left lane I'll often have cars going 70+ tailgate me until I am past the slower cars in the right lane and I can get over. My question is, considering that I am going the speed limit, can I stay in the left lane, regardless of the speeding tailgaters?

Strange question but I've always wondered. Thank you for your time.

You can, but it's not a good idea. If you stay in the left lane, you will be what the folks in the radar detector and other I-hate-traffic-cops forums refer to as an LLB: Left Lane Blocker. They have predetermined they can go as fast as they want, and you are interfering with their God-given right to drive like banshees. Holding your ground will cause them to tailgate you until you either have to brake and have them ram you, or they can make what will probably be a very unsafe lane change to the right to get past you and flip you the bird as they cut you off and speed away. When you encounter these people, move over, give them way, and allow the traffic cops to render unto them up the road. It's no fun being the target of someone's road rage.
    Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

What Tim said. Legally, you're good. Realistically, just slide over, let them pass then you can either stay there or merge back to the left again. Much safer.
      The All New
      BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
      Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
      - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
        You can, but it's not a good idea. If you stay in the left lane, you will be what the folks in the radar detector and other I-hate-traffic-cops forums refer to as an LLB: Left Lane Blocker. They have predetermined they can go as fast as they want, and you are interfering with their God-given right to drive like banshees. Holding your ground will cause them to tailgate you until you either have to brake and have them ram you, or they can make what will probably be a very unsafe lane change to the right to get past you and flip you the bird as they cut you off and speed away. When you encounter these people, move over, give them way, and allow the traffic cops to render unto them up the road. It's no fun being the target of someone's road rage.
        Ditto! The people who tailgate you (and everyone else) think the speed laws don't apply to them. These are ,most of the time, the people who victimize others with road rage. Move over when it is safe for you and the people in the lane you're about to enter and let speedy gonzalez fly by. with any luck you'll see him later off the side of the road with a police car behind him.
        "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

We have a law that states you must always yield right to faster moving vehicles. There is not an exemption for driving the speed limit. In my opinion you are not watching your mirror close enough to allow time for you to move over, or the car comming is going faster than 10 MPH than you. So they overtake you quickly. So I guess it depends on what state you are in.

Comment

We have laws that state you must keep right except when passing so basically as soon as your clear of passing a car you have to move back over. It does not happen much because our roadways are so over crowded but we can enforce it.

What your talking about doing is something we call a "left lane dick".

Comment

Right of way

I second the previously given advice. The law in many states, including Alabama, requires you to remain in the right hand, or outside lane except to pass. As a practical matter, if your'e traveling in the inside(left lane) and the aforementioned banshee arrives on your tail, safely change to the right lane. Then pray there's a Trooper not too far down the road. Yah, that doesn't happen too often, but when you see that idiot at the recieving end of a citation: Priceless!!

Comment

I third the others' advice. Better to get out of the way than to be a statistic. Just this week two sets of drivers (truck vs car )were exchanging sign language (giving the bird) and cutting each other off in traffic on a major interstate just north of my jd. Finally, the truck pulled in front of the car and slammed on it's brakes. The car lost control, ejecting two people who were killed instantly. The truck then left the scene. Road rage and speed killed two people. No one was wearing a seatbelt.
                John 3:16

Comment

As a practical matter, I agree with those above that moving over is always the wise thing to do. As a legal matter, you may be violating the law by not moving over. In Florida, we have a law that applies to this:

Florida State Statute 316.083(2)
                  Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, the driver of an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle, on audible signal or upon the visible blinking of the headlamps of the overtaking vehicle if such overtaking is being attempted at nighttime, and shall not increase the speed of his or her vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.
                  Phoenix

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." ~Thomas Paine

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3893 users online. 236 members and 3657 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X