300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vest's

What Vest would someone recommend to wear?

What it boils down to is: How much are you willing to spend?

There is going to be minor differences (other than cost) between vests. The difference being what kind of round it can ultimately stop. If you're looking for a vest to stop a .223 carbine rifle round, it's going to be very expensive, and probably not the best to try to wear under a uniform.

Most everyday patrol officers wear something that'll stop a .45, .40. and a 9mm. You want something that will be comfortable, yet strong enough to stop any of those rounds. I also wear a trauma plate, which is just added protection for my "core."

Jump on Galls.com.
    -Stay safe

Comment

Originally posted by joejoe18
      I don't think price and protection level are the only factors. Comfort is huge, especially if you work in warm weather and are tempted to leave the vest in your locker.

Most people have a favorite vendor/manufacturer for certain types of clothing. You might be a fan of Florsheim shoes, or Dockers slacks, or J.C. Penney t-shirts. That favorite brand is cut so that it fits you better than anything else. Body armor is no different. Every one of us is built differently, and every vest make and model is cut and constructed differently. There might be some driving around involved, but try and see how many different vest models you can try on, even if you have to try one that belongs to someone else. Once you settle on a brand, have someone who knows what they are doing fit you for the vest, if at all possible. If you have to take a day to drive into the city (wherever "the city" is for you) to have this done, you'll be glad later on that you did. Unless you're a real dandy, it's likely you'll spend more on your vest than on a suit, and you'll be wearing the vest every day for five years or more. It's worth it to spend some time and get it right.
      Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Silver and gold lame' .....
        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Vests

Another very important factor in choosing a vest is the protection level it offers. In general, the greater the protection level, the greater the cost. Many agencies now provide vests as an issue item. If you desire to go to a higher protection level than that afforded by the issue vest, you do so at your own expense in most cases. Often, our not so accurate media describes body armor as being bullet proof. No such thing. Do some research,make the trip Tim suggested if neccessary,and get a vest that's best for you.

Comment

Curious but do you also take into account the vest's rating for slash and pierce weapons in addition to the round rating it can stop?

Comment

One that fits comfortably enough that you'll wear it every day. A IIA vest that you're willing to wear every day is way better then a IIIA vest that hangs in the closet because you can't stand wearing it. The only other consideration I'd throw out is a vest that is capable of stopping the rounds from your duty gun.
              \

Comment

I believe most uniform shops or outfitter reccomend a vest that can stop the round that YOU carry.
                Meaning, most cops get shot with there own gun. Not a hard and fast rule but a general rule.
                get one that fits right AND the one u will wear.
                I got nothing for now

Comment

One that stops bullets.
                  Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

I have researched and found that the lightest and thinnest vest on the market is the ABA Extreme. About 4-500 under department letter head.
                    If one man can make a difference, every man should.

Comment

Vest's
                      I didn't know a vest could possess something.

Comment

My department issues the ABA Extreme and it seems like really good armor...I would recommend it.

We used to issue Second Chance Monarch, but switched to ABA about 6 years ago. Since that time Second Chance has gotten a black eye from not reporting the failing of its Zylon armor products quickly enough.

You might also look at Pinnacle Armor's Dragon Skin. It is apparently the state-of-the-art. The concealable armor is worn by the Secret Service Presidential Detail from what I have read. The only bad news is from what I can find the concealable armor is about $2000!!!
                        "A fanatic is one who won't change his mind, and won't change the subject." -Winston Churchill

"I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts." -Will Rogers

"To desire to save these wolves in society may arise from benevolence, but it must be the benevolence of a child or a fool" -Henry Fielding

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4844 users online. 273 members and 4571 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X