300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I follow my dream?

Hi! I've been wanting to be a police officer the past 10 years. I'm 23 so it's basically always been a dream. I used to be a police explorer as well. Problem is, these past 5 years I've been dealing with major depressive disorder and anxiety. I'm on meds currently, I used to self harm around 2 years ago but haven't since. Should I still follow my dream? I feel like since all the stress and abuse and all the stuff cops deal with it holds me back since I deal with bad depression.

My honest opinion? No, you are not mentally right for this job. Nothing saying you can't apply but most likely your history of self-harm will stop any chance you have.

Doing backgrounds, I'd write you up as a "do not recommend." This job requires mental toughness and there is no guarantee you can stop a call to take deep breath or take a pill if you are getting anxious. Besides yourself, you'd be a liability to others.

Comment

• Hgrayyy
      Hgrayyy commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I've been thinking, but just so hard to accept it I guess. I know I can find another law enforcement job in a less stressful environment.

I wouldn't want to work with someone who was self harming TWO years ago.........

Since you are still dealing with deep depression I think you should look elsewhere
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The first person you should discuss this with is your mental health provider. Based on what is written, the answer is "no."

Comment

No.

you have a history of harm.

Comment

Edit : Removed due to comments, I'll let the proper people to answer this question, my bad on that one!
          Last edited by Herastean; 07-15-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• eagleI
            eagleI commented
            Editing a comment
            You need to be current or former LEO to reply in AAC.

Around here, self harm makes you a huge liability that, I assume, many departments will not want to deal with. Plus, add in the stress of the streets and the fact that some of your peers may be less willing to want to work with you. Also, Herastean, a friendly reminder on the TOS, as a non-police officer, you cannot answer questions posed in AAC.
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

I appreciate all of your posts! Thanks everyone

Comment

Unfortunately, based on what you have provided, no responsible chief or sheriff will hire you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hgrayyy View Post
                Hi! I've been wanting to be a police officer the past 10 years. I'm 23 so it's basically always been a dream. I used to be a police explorer as well. Problem is, these past 5 years I've been dealing with major depressive disorder and anxiety. I'm on meds currently, I used to self harm around 2 years ago but haven't since. Should I still follow my dream? I feel like since all the stress and abuse and all the stuff cops deal with it holds me back since I deal with bad depression.
                Get your illness under control]!. Life is too short! It's an illness that can be treated. I don't know you. But from what you've described, I doubt it's a good fit. Does a diabetic want to work in a bakery?

I know my limitations. I thought I wanted to be a nurse. Specifically in the Army. Problem is, dealing with people in pain, suffering, etc really bothers me. Ironically, I worked in labs/Pathology/the Morgue and I also freelanced as an embalmer. Dead people aren't suffering. My point is, I finally realized that I had to say goodbye to my dream as a nurse.

I really wish you luck in your future and good for you for questioning your choices. With your experiences, you have a lot to offer people.
                Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

• Hgrayyy
                  Hgrayyy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, and I've been seeing a counselor, on meds and doing some other stuff that is helping get it under control. I'm sure I'll find another career that will be a good fit for me!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9575 users online. 355 members and 9220 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X