Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does a Police Department benefit from having its own jail?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does a Police Department benefit from having its own jail?

The department has to spend millions to build their own jail, do they see a return on this investment? Are there costs in the future they get to avoid that they would otherwise have to pay to their respective county (Sheriff's) jail?
    Does it lighten the work load of officers and detectives in a way that all they have to do is go back to HQ to book a subject or interrogate them?

It’s easier to disappear them...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

There are very few police departments that have jails for anything other than temporary prisoners. It isn't cost effective with all the regulations put on penal facilities.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well that is a question that is different in each state. In PA, when one is arrested, they're not generally taken to the county jail.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

First off is time spent booking prisoners. The county jail was a 60 mile round trip from the first police agency I worked for, so transporting and booking a prisoner was a two to three hour process at a minimum. Similarly, if detectives wanted to interview a prisoner, it was over an hour travel time back and forth.

The agency I spent most of my career with was in a county where the sheriff had many local substations, but insisted outside agencies book at the main jail. Again, you were looking at anywhere from a 40 to 60 mile round trip, taking an officer out of the field for an excessive amount of time.

In addition, my state allows sheriffs to charge outside agencies a booking fee for every one of their prisoners they process. This fee can be very high, which encourages local agencies to run their own holding facilities, if only to keep them long enough to make their first court appearance. After that they become the court's prisoners rather than that of the local agency. If the court remands them to the county jail, there is no booking fee.

Finally, many county jails in my state are so overcrowded that your prisoner will be processed, but as you are completing your paperwork, the person who was you prisoner is now being released out the back door on a written promise to appear, even if he was arrested on a warrant or booked for a felony. Because these folks are usually the worst of the worst, they will fail to appear in court as promised and your taking them to county jail will have been an act of futility. Keeping them in a local jail usually ensures their appearance in court.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            It’s easier to disappear them...
            Ahh, nothing like a good ol' human soul BBQ.

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            There are very few police departments that have jails for anything other than temporary prisoners. It isn't cost effective with all the regulations put on penal facilities.
            Which raises the question.

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
            Well that is a question that is different in each state. In PA, when one is arrested, they're not generally taken to the county jail.
            I'm in Cali. How might this question not be as relevant in Pennsylvania?

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

In addition, my state allows sheriffs to charge outside agencies a booking fee for every one of their prisoners they process. This fee can be very high, which encourages local agencies to run their own holding facilities, if only to keep them long enough to make their first court appearance. After that they become the court's prisoners rather than that of the local agency. If the court remands them to the county jail, there is no booking fee.
            Gold. That explains this.

https://www.officer.com/command-hq/c...other-agencies

These charges and fees, are they more for the Sheriff's Department profit? Or more in line with political climate?

Comment

• HI629
              HI629 commented
              Editing a comment
              How do you figure that the SD will “profit”. They need to pay for staff to work the facility, need to pay for equipment and other supplies to process the prisoners. Also, there are housing costs. I’m sure the “booking fee” covers some of these costs, not all of them.

Originally posted by Weaponeyes View Post

WHERE in the following question does it limit answers to California....................?

If you are going to "TRY" to limit answer, you need to ask the question correctly, however you will find out that on THIS FORUM .............you get the answers you get

The department has to spend millions to build their own jail, do they see a return on this investment? Are there costs in the future they get to avoid that they would otherwise have to pay to their respective county (Sheriff's) jail?
            Does it lighten the work load of officers and detectives in a way that all they have to do is go back to HQ to book a subject or interrogate them?
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

These charges and fees, are they more for the Sheriff's Department profit? Or more in line with political climate?
              It's just that crime is high, budgets are tight and no government agency wants another government agency feeding at their trough.

There is no profit in California law enforcement. If there are any left over funds in a government agency's budget at the end of the fiscal year, it does not roll over into their next year's budget. In such rare cases (and with a county), it reverts back to the county's general fund and will be dispersed as part of the county's overall budget next year.

In government, the reward for having a surplus at the end of the fiscal year (coming in under budget) is to have your budget for the next fiscal year cut by a like amount. The logic here is, if you got by with a lesser amount this year, you can do the same next year. That's why every department head (no matter what kind of agency) scrambles to spend every last cent in their budget before the end of thie fiscal year and perhaps go a tad over budget. There are lots of tricks and shenanigans to ensure every penny gets spent, but it will get spent.

Comment

Jails are very expensive to operate........................The Fees TRY to help offset those costs

the fees charged by most Sheriff's offices just limit the amount the agency needs to ask for in the yearly budget. They never really break even much less make a profit .

Comment

Jails are very expensive to operate........................The Fees TRY to help offset those costs

the fees charged by most Sheriff's offices just limit the amount the agency needs to ask for in the yearly budget. They never really break even much less make a profit .
                  Our budgeting system is different. We have to project and pay for all expenses out of the current fiscal year's budget and any monies received go into the general fund to be used for the following years budget for all agencies. What we receive is taken into account in our next budget allotment if it is reimbursement for a service or overtime assignments we would normally charge for.

So, what we take in today is not spent to cover current costs. This hit us hard one year when we had a bunch of major emergencies that depleted our overtime budget before the first six months of the fiscsal year were up. There were highway construction contractors and outside agencies with cash in hand that wanted our services on an overtime basis, but because their money would go into the pot for next year's budget and our OT budget for this year was spent, we were in trouble. (It was the first time in years this had happened.) We had to ask the Legislature for a mid year budget supplement to handle overtime for the next six months.

Even with the booking fee (which goes to the county and not the sheriff), if a California sheriff gets more prisoners than his jail budget allows for, he will have to go back to the County Board of Supervisors and ask for a mid fiscal year budget supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post

Our budgeting system is different. We have to project and pay for all expenses out of the current fiscal year's budget and any monies received go into the general fund to be used for the following years budget for all agencies. What we receive is taken into account in our next budget allotment if it is reimbursement for a service or overtime assignments we would normally charge for.

So, what we take in today is not spent to cover current costs. This hit us hard one year when we had a bunch of major emergencies that depleted our overtime budget before the first six months of the fiscsal year were up. There were highway construction contractors and outside agencies with cash in hand that wanted our services on an overtime basis, but because their money would go into the pot for next year's budget and our OT budget for this year was spent, we were in trouble. (It was the first time in years this had happened.) We had to ask the Legislature for a mid year budget supplement to handle overtime for the next six months.

Even with the booking fee (which goes to the county and not the sheriff), if a California sheriff gets more prisoners than his jail budget allows for, he will have to go back to the County Board of Supervisors and ask for a mid fiscal year budget supplement.
                    In Iowa a county CAN but almost never does charge the cities for holding city prisoners because

State law in Iowa states the Sheriff MUST house all prisoners..............period.

Counties that don't have jails have to board their prisoners with a county that does and pay fees. They normally run $40-$60 a day per prisoner. LOTS of jails are so overcrowded that they must board prisoners elsewhere too.

The large jail next to us doesn't hold Class A felony juveniles (that have been waived to adult court) so they contract with us..........we have had some long term boarders over the last few years. Juvenile detention also won't house Class A felons . That large jail contracts with the Marshals and ICE for up to 200 prisoners a day.........but still don't handle juveniles.

Yea any $$$ that does come into the jail form holding prisoners goes into the county treasury .............We then get "credited" for it in next years budget too.

In Iowa we don't do construction OT............it's unheard of around here. No way would we go over budget for a private company . If we go over budget for a legitimate reason .........yea we go back to the supervisors for an amendment

Its interesting how things are different but still basically the same

Comment

Ahh, nothing like a good ol' human soul BBQ.

Which raises the question.

Sheriff's in Pennsylvania don't run jails. We have county correctional agencies. When you're arrested (in Philly it's a different procedure) you're taken to the local department which may or may not have a detention room where you are interviewed for basic background information and then a call is made to either the DA where you are either given a citation or arraigned by a district magistrate for bail.

Comment

Also a state like Connecticut which does not have sheriff's offices or county government has different procedures

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                          Also a state like Connecticut which does not have sheriff's offices or county government has different procedures
                          Connecticut has State Jails......................not to be confused with prisons

Lousiana has Parishes but the Sheriff's run the jails just like where a county government is in use

Comment

In Iowa we don't do construction OT............it's unheard of around here. No way would we go over budget for a private company.
                            It's for maintenance or construction of state highways and done by the state highway department on behalf of the construction company Most of our OT comes from that. Many a new swimming pool or new car has been purchased with COZEEP or MAZEEP money.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7410 users online. 271 members and 7139 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X