Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your department dress policy

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Your department dress policy

    Does your department allow you to dress at home and ride to and from work in uniform or must uniforms remain in a locker in the station after shift is over?
    Smile and Wait for Flash

  • #2
    If we dress at home, a cover jacket is strongly encouraged, but not required.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

    I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

    Comment


    • #3
      We really don't have a locker room at my department, so we don't really have a choice. I ride to and from work in full uniform.(I do however wear a black jacket over my uniform shirt most of the time)
      I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

      Comment


      • #4
        If we're in uniform to and from work, we're in full uniform. Meaning duty belt on, glock is 15+1, and vest is on.

        If you drive directly from your house to work you shouldnt have any problems.
        -Stay safe

        Comment


        • #5
          The Dept. doesn't have a policy. They don't care where we get dressed for work. I get dressed at home in full uniform and return the same way. We are encouraged to drive straight home and not run any errands in uniform. Some officers wear something over the shirt to avoid complaints for bad driving.
          The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

          Comment


          • #6
            Lockers and a locker room are provided in almost all offices. However, the choice is up to each officer - except for motorcycle officers and take home units (resident posts, on call services, etc.). Most officers change at the office, some leave their shirts at the office and finish dressing there, some dress at home and wear a cover jacket enroute to work.
            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

            [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

            Comment


            • #7
              Either way is okay.

              Comment


              • #8
                My dept. has our uniforms professionally dry cleaned at no cost to us, so most officers change at the station. However, it's still up to the individual officer, and some still like to wash and iron their own uniforms at home and wear them to and from work.
                "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dept dress policy

                  Alabama DPS has take home vehicles, so you get into service/out of service in your driveway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Seems risky... There are always those out there willing to cause malice simply for who you are, let alone those who might hate you for professional reasons.

                    Heck, my job even tells us not to be seen in our uniforms outside of work for safety reasons (but then, we're universally reviled for our shampoo confiscation shennanigans).

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      How do departments distinguish between times to wear full uniforms and just a shirt. To make myself clearer...I sometimes see officers wearing just a polo-styled shirt with their belt and pants (sometimes blue jeans). When do you wear the full uniform and when is just a shirt wore?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Freeze
                        How do departments distinguish between times to wear full uniforms and just a shirt. To make myself clearer...I sometimes see officers wearing just a polo-styled shirt with their belt and pants (sometimes blue jeans). When do you wear the full uniform and when is just a shirt wore?

                        It all depends on your assignment in your specific department. Here patrols during the day and night shift have to wear our normal uniforms except when it's snowing we goto bdu, Bike patrol uses the polo shirt and bdu shorts, Road contruction wears whatever they want, Tac teams where all bdu gear. We only wear our dress uniforms with the jacket at inspections and funerals.

                        The town next to ours always wears the polo shirt and bdu pants with a stripe.
                        Last edited by lionheart45; 04-13-2007, 10:16 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          My Force's policy is that we are NOT to be in uniform unless you are wearing body armour AND full operational duty belt, we are NOT to be operating an operational patrol vehicle (fully-marked, "slick" roofed or unmarked with protective screen) unless in uniform, and we are NOT to have our side-arm at home unless we have written authorization to do so due to being "voluntarily" on-call during "quiet"/non-scheduled hours.

                          I am on a Traffic enforcement unit that does NOT require me to be on-call, I am only a 10 minute walk from my office and violent crime, let alone violence towards LEO, is extremely low, so I wear my uniform without my operational duty belt while I walk from home to work and back. I choose to wear my soft body armour in an undershirt style vest.
                          #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                          Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                          RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                          Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                          "Smile" - no!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
                            My Force's policy is that we are NOT to be in uniform unless you are wearing body armour AND full operational duty belt, we are NOT to be operating an operational patrol vehicle (fully-marked, "slick" roofed or unmarked with protective screen) unless in uniform, and we are NOT to have our side-arm at home unless we have written authorization to do so due to being "voluntarily" on-call during "quiet"/non-scheduled hours.

                            I am on a Traffic enforcement unit that does NOT require me to be on-call, I am only a 10 minute walk from my office and violent crime, let alone violence towards LEO, is extremely low, so I wear my uniform without my operational duty belt while I walk from home to work and back. I choose to wear my soft body armour in an undershirt style vest.
                            No Gun at Home?? Whats up with that? Were I live there is a very low crime area, violent crime almost nill but I always have a gun-on duty or off. Does your dept. not trust it's officers with weapons?
                            "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by j706
                              No Gun at Home?? Whats up with that? Were I live there is a very low crime area, violent crime almost nill but I always have a gun-on duty or off. Does your dept. not trust it's officers with weapons?
                              j,

                              Here's a previous thread on this topic...

                              http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62902

                              That's just the way it is...I still don't understand it
                              "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson
                              ______________________


                              ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 5178 users online. 289 members and 4889 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X