300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions required

I'm living in England studying to be a cop psychologist for the u.s,I'm already a counsellor but my plan is to be independent from the police depts so that cops can come to me privately and off the record with police or personal problems.I want to offer a relaxed,friendly service,not one full of psycho babble and pressure.
    I would like to offer a free E mail counselling service as well as a phone and internet chat service.This will allow cops to not have to face anyone,not have to go to an appointment and can express themselves freely without fear of interrruption,judgement or embarrassment.
    My aim will be to help cops with stress,family,help their families,wives and girlfriends to cope with the job and understand you and it better.
    What I need from you is feedback and suggestions.
    Would my services be of use?What else would you expect?
    I am training to serve you so I want to know from you what you want,not what the psychologists think you or say you want.
    If you want more details feel free to contact me.All suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by english; 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM. Reason: better title

No ones bitting, huh? No offense, but cops by nature, are a distrustful lot. When ever I read one of your posts, the Bates Motel comes to mind
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
      No offense, but cops by nature, are a distrustful lot.
      I have to agree...Most other LEO's I know internalize alot of stuff. Granted, it may be unhealthy for us, but most of the bad stuff we see or deal with gets bottled up inside or we crack jokes about it to deal with it. There are certain circumstances where after critical incidents we have to see a counselor, but as far as I have seen, most LEO's don't trust or believe in therapy. Maybe we're just hard headed like that. For me, talking about stuff doesn't help. I use working out or writing or something else to get out my frustrations etc. Just my 2 cents.
      I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

"opinions required"

Perhaps you would like to reword your title to opinions REQUESTED! Most LEOs will shy away from something that is "required" - especially if it is posted by someone they don't know!!!!
        Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

This website might give you some direction. Very well thought of center on this end of the world.
          "www.thecounselingteam.com/"
          Last edited by 1oldsarge; 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM. Reason: correct website
          Three Stripes beats Four Aces.
          Retirement: You've Won the War when you're Paid to Stay at Home.

Comment

Opinions

Think you have a great idea.Your biggest challenge may be winning the trust/confidence of individual Officers. There is still a very prominent "macho" mentality among American cops. Wherever you locate in the United States, be certain to become familiar with that state's laws on confidentiality as it would apply to a professional counselor and client.

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP
              "opinions required"

Perhaps you would like to reword your title to opinions REQUESTED! Most LEOs will shy away from something that is "required" - especially if it is posted by someone they don't know!!!!
              Thank you for the advice.Being English I rely on you guys to tell me the what's and how's of your thinking,speaking and the ways of your country,but I'm learning.
              I learned pretty fast that cops don't take too kindly to being "told" but they seem to like being "asked"

Comment

Originally posted by 1oldsarge
                This website might give you some direction. Very well thought of center on this end of the world.
                "www.thecounselingteam.com/"
                Thank you for your advice.I appreciate any help and advice offered.
                I will check out the web site.Any other info you might have for me just let me know.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal
                  Think you have a great idea.Your biggest challenge may be winning the trust/confidence of individual Officers. There is still a very prominent "macho" mentality among American cops. Wherever you locate in the United States, be certain to become familiar with that state's laws on confidentiality as it would apply to a professional counselor and client.
                  Thanks for the possitive feedback.I appreciate all the help and advice offered.Confidenitality is a priority for me and I'm doing the best I can to get to know as many states as I can.That's why I need as much help from as many cops as I can get from everywhere to learn the laws of the land.
                  As for the macho image I have certainly come across alot of that.Most have been very good advisors and friends but there has been a minority who are trying to be horrible to me to put me off,but I have long decided what I am doing.
                  Thanks for the advice and keep it coming if you have any.

Comment

No ones bitting, huh? No offense, but cops by nature, are a distrustful lot. When ever I read one of your posts, the Bates Motel comes to mind
                    Thank you for your comments.You seem quite attracted to my posts!

Comment

Originally posted by english
                      Thank you for your comments.You seem quite attracted to my posts!
                      Leery would be a better word. Two months ago, your first post read like a singles want ad..."31,female,blue eyes,blonde hair, looks not important in a friendship!" Now you're hanging a shingle, and claiming to be some type of an internet "cop psychologist/counsellor" Just not buying it.

As an aside, I've seen both psychologists, and counselors for various reasons, and as far as I can remember, neither used "psycho babble" during our sessions
                      "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

my explanation

Leery would be a better word. Two months ago, your first post read like a singles want ad..."31,female,blue eyes,blonde hair, looks not important in a friendship!" Now you're hanging a shingle, and claiming to be some type of an internet "cop psychologist/counsellor" Just not buying it.

As an aside, I've seen both psychologists, and counselors for various reasons, and as far as I can remember, neither used "psycho babble" during our sessions
                        Ah,like so many cops you jumped the gun and got it wrong.Yes,I'm looking for friends to write to.Yes,I'm looking for that "Mr Right" still but that wasn't the aim.I described myself because I knew everyone would ask and if they're not asking they're famous words are "send me a picture"
                        Afterall,my working will be around cops.I'm not a counsellor all the time...
                        You remember my posts well...you alittle curious?You come back to me!
                        Glad to hear you had good therapy with both.Many don't or are too afraid to find out.
                        Going back to the post you "don't buy" wasn't it better for me to say hi and what i was looking for rather than saying,here I am,cop psychologist,come and talk to me!You'd have all ran for the hills.

Comment

The departments I've worked for (and others that I am familiar with) already have such a program in place at no charge to the officers and available at any time they choose to use.

And yeah, maybe it's a cultural issue, but you come off more as a badge bunny than anything else with your posts.

Comment

Originally posted by english
                            Ah,like so many cops you jumped the gun and got it wrong.Yes,I'm looking for friends to write to.Yes,I'm looking for that "Mr Right" still but that wasn't the aim.I described myself because I knew everyone would ask and if they're not asking they're famous words are "send me a picture"
                            Afterall,my working will be around cops.I'm not a counsellor all the time...
                            You remember my posts well...you alittle curious?You come back to me!
                            Glad to hear you had good therapy with both.Many don't or are too afraid to find out.
                            Going back to the post you "don't buy" wasn't it better for me to say hi and what i was looking for rather than saying,here I am,cop psychologist,come and talk to me!You'd have all ran for the hills.

Reading the above and reading this within your public profile:

"...I am a horror writer living in the English countryside.I am currently completing a psychology course to go with my counselling skills in trauma and bereavement..."

I find it difficult to believe you are a writer or studying an advanced degree program. Your choice of writing style, puncuation, sentance structure and grammar are atrocious!

Try being yourself, not something you are not, and you may be more successful in your endeavor.

The rules of writing are the same in England as they are in the United States.
                            Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

[George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

Comment

Originally posted by SgtCHP
                              Reading the above and reading this within your public profile:

"...I am a horror writer living in the English countryside.I am currently completing a psychology course to go with my counselling skills in trauma and bereavement..."

I find it difficult to believe you are a writer or studying an advanced degree program. Your choice of writing style, puncuation, sentance structure and grammar are atrocious!

Try being yourself, not something you are not, and you may be more successful in your endeavor.

The rules of writing are the same in England as they are in the United States.
                              He who lives in a glass house.
                              PUNCTUATION
                              SENTENCE
                              Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                              Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4179 users online. 250 members and 3929 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X