300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railroad Police

Just out of curiosity how come the general public doesn't know that Railroad Police exist? It seems that the only people who know about them are people in the Law Enforcement, Railroad Employee, and Rail fan communities. Why would you say that is?

Depends on where you live. I grew up in a town with a twelve rail major artery running through it. Railroad police agencies (CN, CSX, Union Pacific) were ubiquitous.
    Thousands of people have talent. I might as well congratulate you for having eyes in your head. The one and only thing that counts is: Do you have staying power?

-Sir Noel Coward

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
      Depends on where you live. I grew up in a town with a twelve rail major artery running through it. Railroad police agencies (CN, CSX, Union Pacific) were ubiquitous.
      I live in a town with an active Rail line running through it and almost never see the Railroad Police unless someone plays stupid with a train? When I talk to fellow residents they are surprised ton here that the RR Police even exist, why would you say that is? Thanks

Comment

It easy..... Look at the number if agents for each RR. Then factor the miles of railway each company operate. So yeah most folks won't come across a rail agent just due to the numbers. For the most part they seem like sweet gigs to work
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

This exact question is posted each year, using the exact same wording. Try a search instead of creating another long and boring argument thread.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I don’t know.

There is a passenger rail line in San Francisco, they used to have AMTRAK PD and now contract with the local SO.

Maybe the majority if America doesn’t live near rail lines? Or they do know about these agencies but since interaction with them is basically zero, what’s the need to really know?
            semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago1991 View Post
              . Why would you say that is?
              The "common person" has absolutely NO reason to have contact with the RailRoad police. The media rarely has stories about the RailRoad police because there isn't something to tell under normal circumstances.

For the same reason .........................the average person didn't know NCIS existed until the TV program started....................
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I just find it interesting that with the amount of scrunty that police have com under, RR Police have for the most part avoided the spot light? Wonder what the anti-cop crowd would think if they learned about the Railroad Police?

Comment

I grew up in New York City where there was a 4500 man Transit police department and a 2500 man housing police department. I only found out about the existence of these 2 rather large agencies when I filed for the NYPD entrance exam and was told that I could be assigned to one of these other agencies. The reason was that I had no contact with them. I rarely took the subway and never went into the housing projects.

Comment

I just find it interesting that with the amount of scrunty that police have com under, RR Police have for the most part avoided the spot light?
                    The RailRoad police have very little contact with the public ......................they don't "patrol" for the most part, they don't "enforce" traffic laws...........so they don't get scrutinized like a City/Town/County/State police force. You aren't going to see them arresting drunks in a bar or in the local stop and rob or fast food joint.
                    Their arrests are going to be investigative arrests for non violent thefts from rail road property.............all in the background.

This isn't rocket science..........................if your agency runs under the wire, no one knows about you until something happens to bring attention to you

Wonder what the anti-cop crowd would think if they learned about the Railroad Police?
                    Who is going to tell them they exist?
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Nobody. Nobody, cares dude. You keep trying to make this an issue. It isn’t. It won’t be.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

The Railroad Police making another arrest...

Comment

Just out of curiosity how come the general public doesn't know that Railroad Police exist? It seems that the only people who know about them are people in the Law Enforcement, Railroad Employee, and Rail fan communities. Why would you say that is?
                          There are no railroad police TV shows.
                          You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Well I found this from three years ago https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/29/u...ad-police.html thoughts?

Comment

During my thirty years of law enforcement outside of the nation's fourth largest city, I never once met a RR police officer. I assisted in a few vehicle/train crashes in the huge industrial complex along the Houston ship channel and the RR police were never present or mentioned. Heck, I dated a gal a long time ago that worked for MoPac and routinely went to her office but no RR cops were ever there. Even today in my part-time job, I drive past Union Pacific's rail-yard and if some type of law enforcement officers are around, they must be undercover or asleep.

Hard to talk about or have opinions on something that you never see or hear of!
                              If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11566 users online. 386 members and 11180 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X