Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Leaderboard Mobile

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former CO/LEO on second career missing the job! Need advice from LEO's!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former CO/LEO on second career missing the job! Need advice from LEO's!

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike, I am rather new to the community but I believe I have a unique situation. I am currently 35 with a wife and two children and a great second career as a Respiratory Therapist. At the age of 22 I became a Correctional Officer for the Florida Department of Corrections and served for six LONG years. In the middle of that career I went through the Crossover course from Corrections to Law Enforcement. I was then dual certified in Florida as CO and LEO. I spent another couple of years applying to become a Police Officer to no avail. I probably applied for about 7 years from the age of 20 till about I was 27 at a lot of various agencies and never was able to pass the polygraph or psychological assessments, unfortunately. I have been in my second career now for 6 years but have never fully accepted the fact that I wasn't able to achieve my dream to become a Police Officer. I don't feel like it's really an option to at this stage in my life to become an LEO due to having kids and my spouse not feeling safe in me going back into that. I just throughly miss the brotherhood and general culture of Law Enforcement. I spend my life watching Law Enforcement scenario based training video's and it'll never be out of my blood. I just wish I could do something in my life that brought back that rush I used to get being in the field and overall sense of pride I would get when I wore the badge and took the oath to serve. Is there anything that you guys can suggest for someone like myself?

Thank you for any advice and input as I surely appreciate it and thank you for taking the time to read through my long post.

Stay safe my brothers and sisters,

Mike

Go back to Corrections maybe? Federal Law Enforcement?
    USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
    "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
    DA Public Safety Dispatcher, APG MD

Comment

Originally posted by J2H View Post
      Go back to Corrections maybe? Federal Law Enforcement?
      He seems to be running out of time for most Federal LEAs. The cutoff for most, including BOP, is age 37. A few have increased the age to 40 temporarily (CBP and BP). Military veterans could qualify for an age waiver but this guys doesn’t appear to be a vet.

Maybe 0083 Police series for the federal government.
      “There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• J2H
        J2H commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I meant... *I* call it Fed LE, but I meant 0083 DoD or VA

Originally posted by Exbpa340 View Post

He seems to be running out of time for most Federal LEAs. The cutoff for most, including BOP, is age 37. A few have increased the age to 40 temporarily (CBP and BP). Military veterans could qualify for an age waiver but this guys doesn’t appear to be a vet.

Maybe 0083 Police series for the federal government.
      I don't think time or age is the issue. I think his stated inability to pass a polygraph and/or a psychological exam is going to be the problem. He doesn't say how many agencies he applied for. I can understand bombing a polygraph once. I can understand not passing a psych once, maybe his results don't fit the personality type the agency was looking for. But being disqualified more than a couple times tells me it's not the tests or the agency... it's him. Maybe he's just not suited to police work.

There's nothing wrong with staying in the medical field. He'll almost certainly have better hours, better working conditions, and probably get paid more.
      You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Have you looked into working as a Reserve Officer?

Comment

Originally posted by ChamucoAlex_84 View Post
          Have you looked into working as a Reserve Officer?
          +1, or look into part-time or auxiliary police roles that may be available. I wouldn't let age deter you; I paid my way through an academy and started as a part-time officer in my mid-30s, then went FT in my 50s. It can be done. However, I wouldn't encourage it if you don't have strong spousal/family support. How you work through that is source for a whole 'nuther topic.

And, as mentioned by others, the fact that you failed to pass poly/psych exams are the bigger issues.

Comment

The grass seems greener on the other side, but I see where the 2015 median income of a respiratory therapist is $59,000 - $71,000.
            That's nothing to sneeze at compared to what most cops make at age 35.
            Get you LEO fix by joining a reserve unit.

I love the job, but the closer I get to retirement, the more I wished I had stayed in the private sector due to financial concerns.
            SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
            SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7621 users online. 299 members and 7322 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X