300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police related DECALS

I'm just curious how many LEO's WON'T pull over cars that have some sort of LEO affiliated decal on the back of it? I live in IL, and I see quite a few cars that have FOP (Fraternal Order of Police) Member decals right next to their rear license plate. In fact, I saw one today that mounted his right above the digits on his plate (it was covering up half of the ILLINOIS at the top of the plate). Anyway's, I know that in order to receive an FOP Member decal, you have to have some affiliation with a PD, but I am sure that people can probably buy these off line. I guess I just don't understand why people do this kind of stuff? If someone is a cop, I am sure it would come out on a traffic stop, especially if the Officer stopping you saw your badge. What are LEO's thoughts about this?

If I saw an FOP decal, especially on a California plate, it wouldn't mean much to me. As far as I know, FOP is pretty much a non-entity in CA. There are some organizations, such as the California State Sheriffs' Association (CSSA) that raise money by soliciting donations and handing out logo stickers. Those stickers don't mean diddly, because CSSA represents the sheriffs, not deputy sheriffs, and has taken some pretty anti-line staff stands (especially with trying to limit the Peace Officers' Bill of Rights and other protections against improper IA procedures). Officers don't have stickers denoting their professions on personal vehicles, so if I see such a sticker, it's a pretty good bet it ain't a copper. Displaying any such sticker is just inviting vandalism at the least, and possibly being shot.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by JLH81
      I'm just curious how many LEO's WON'T pull over cars
      I can't imagine there are too many officers who won't even pull a car over just because of a sticker that anyone could get their hands on. I have something on my vehicle but its just to give a heads up that I am a police, but I don't expect that they wouldn't pull me over just because of that.
      GO CAVS!!

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
        If I saw an FOP decal, especially on a California plate, it wouldn't mean much to me. As far as I know, FOP is pretty much a non-entity in CA. There are some organizations, such as the California State Sheriffs' Association (CSSA) that raise money by soliciting donations and handing out logo stickers. Those stickers don't mean diddly, because CSSA represents the sheriffs, not deputy sheriffs, and has taken some pretty anti-line staff stands (especially with trying to limit the Peace Officers' Bill of Rights and other protections against improper IA procedures). Officers don't have stickers denoting their professions on personal vehicles, so if I see such a sticker, it's a pretty good bet it ain't a copper. Displaying any such sticker is just inviting vandalism at the least, and possibly being shot.
        Those were my thoughts as well, especially the vandalism one. I just didn't understand why people did this stuff. I guess some people truly think that it puts them above the law???

Comment

Originally posted by B-More Dawg
          I can't imagine there are too many officers who won't even pull a car over just because of a sticker that anyone could get their hands on. I have something on my vehicle but its just to give a heads up that I am a police, but I don't expect that they wouldn't pull me over just because of that.
          I like that about your heads up about being a cop, but don't you worry about somebody vandalizing your car like ateamer mentioned?

Comment

Those were my thoughts as well, especially the vandalism one. I just didn't understand why people did this stuff. I guess some people truly think that it puts them above the law???
            They absolutely do. I ran into a number of people that threw FOP cards (one was made of solid brass) at me in disgust and told me how much they paid for it. I had missed the "you can't cite this person" memo.
            Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Down here in Texas we have a couple of organizations C.L.E.A.T. and S.A.P.O.A. and T.T.P.O.A. they all have stickers that go in car windows. To many gang bangers and cousins twice removed have these stickers so they don't mean a heck of a lot. If I see the sticker I'll ask about why they have one but will still stop the car.
              Personally I dont have any on my vehicles for the same reasons listed above. Vandalism and I work and live in the same area.
              The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

FOP (and PBA) license tags can only be purchased by commissioned law enforcement personnel in TN. The officer must be the registered owner of the vehicle the tag is registered to.
                I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

Stickers, plates, ball caps; none of it means diddly.

Except a decoder ring. I see you wearing a decoder ring, you're in, baby.
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                    Stickers, plates, ball caps; none of it means diddly.

Yeah, Decoder rings are cool!
                    In Michigan anyone who donate to the sheriff's assoc. gets a sticker. Doesn't mean they are all cops though. Good point made earlier it opens you up to anti leo and vandalism.
                    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

This was just recently discussed. I forget where it exactly was. Bottom line, almost anyone can get there hands on these decals, stickers ect., and generally don't mean much.

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                        R-E-M-E-M-B-E-R T-O D-R-I-N-K Y-O-U-R O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I like that about your heads up about being a cop, but don't you worry about somebody vandalizing your car like ateamer mentioned?
                          In CA, there's one sticker they sell which is so subtle the gangsta's don't get it.

I don't put anything on my car's bumber...just don't like to. My oldest son was never student of the month, so I never had to adorn my car with his accomplishments. My wife put a Bush/Cheney sticker on our family car. I removed it 30 seconds after the votes were in.

I'll never forget, 30+ years ago, a bright yellow VW Thing parked at a local market. On the windshield were three decals: (1) My departments off-duty recreational club symbol, and from our old riot helmets (2) sergeants stripes and (3) the cap piece reproduction. In my opinion, this car was begging to be vandalized.
                          "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

If i see a fire sticker on a car, the members ones that they have for dept down here, I question the driver why they have it, I most generally dont ticket FF's becuase I kinda am one... different assoc. for police things... it wont stop me from pulling them over, but it may affect how i write them, i will ask tho.. if its not a cop, they will prolly get one.
                            Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

I recently read a book on drug interdiction that said a surprising percentage of drug-runners, businesses with illegal affiliations, and other no-gooders use stickers like that to try to ward off the police.

They don't mean anything to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3148 users online. 195 members and 2953 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X