Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Agility TESTS

Hey guys,

I am sure that I will get a mixture of responses for asking this question, but I wanted to get some input on this. I am thinking about applying for a few IL PD's, which require you to run a 1.5 mile within 13:46 to pass. I am not worried about the other parts of the tests which include sit-ups, bench press, etc. However, I am kind of concerned about the 1.5 mile run. I am in good shape physically, and I am strong. I am about 5'10 175 pounds. I lift a lot, and I try to use my treadmill every other day. I am not really a runner, but I know that I am going to have to be. I am sure that not all of you LEO's were huge runners, but had to do certain things to get yourself in shape to pass this. The thing that I find weird is that I've seen some Rookies that are totally out of shape, and I often wonder how the heck they pass this test. If you guys could give me some advice, that would be great. I really don't want to be totally embarassed and not be able to pass this. If any of you LEO's are present on testing day, how many applicants actually fail these tests?

13:46 is slow. You will be fine. Just go to a track and see where you are at now. Stretch real good first and make sure you wear a pair of (important) properly fitted running shoes. Go to a running specific store to get fitted.

Now go run your six laps (on a normal track that 1.5 miles) and see where your time is. At a medium pace of just 2 minutes per lap you will easily make the cut. Oh and running on a treadmill is not the same thing. Don't use it to gauge a real world run.

Comment

Originally posted by hbliam
      13:46 is slow. You will be fine. Just go to a track and see where you are at now. Stretch real good first and make sure you wear a pair of (important) properly fitted running shoes. Go to a running specific store to get fitted.

Now go run your six laps (on a normal track that 1.5 miles) and see where your time is. At a medium pace of just 2 minutes per lap you will easily make the cut. Oh and running on a treadmill is not the same thing. Don't use it to gauge a real world run.
      What kind of a running store would you suggest? Also, I understand that a treadmill is not a good way to gauge a real world run, but I am assuming that this will increase your cardio endurance so that you will be able to achieve the best time possible on the run. I will go start running on a track too.

Comment

You can walk 1.5 miles in 13:46. I wouldn't sweat the run. Like hbliam said go to a track and see where you're at now. I bet you're well with in the time frame.

On my dept. about half of the people that test fail. Not to discourage you. Just make sure you can do the push ups the way they want you to and not how you're used to doing them. Same with the situps and other parts of the test. Thats how a lot of the guys end up failing. They just don't do the tests the way the dept. wants them done.

Good luck!
        Last edited by MOGSOT; 04-11-2007, 02:50 AM.
        The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

My favorite running shoes are:

Brooks "Adrenaline" [I] I've been running with these babies for about 6 years now. They give me the proper arch support and are very comfortable. They run about $90. You can find them at Academy sports store, Whole earth provisions, and probably any similar store.
          The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

Well, first of all, I would not let the "runners" downplay the run to you. You are not going to walk out 1.5 in 13:46. With that being said you should be able to pass the run, but I would definately head to the track to get an idea of where you are and to get a pace down. I hate running. I was also about your size when I hired on. That time is doable with very little to no prep before the run.

Comment

Originally posted by MOGSOT
              My favorite running shoes are:

Brooks "Adrenaline" [I] I've been running with these babies for about 6 years now. They give me the proper arch support and are very comfortable. They run about $90. You can find them at Academy sports store, Whole earth provisions, and probably any similar store.

While they may be great for you they may be completely wrong for the original poster. He needs to go to a running store and try some different shoes after the staff determine what style of shoe he needs.

A quick google found this list for him:

http://www.midwestrunning.com/resource_stores.php

Comment

Physical Agility Tests

I can answer your question with one word: Train. Okay, hit the track at your local high school or similiar facility, with permission, of course. This will give you a "real world, real time" appreciation of what will be required on the actual test. Remember the basic rule of thumb that applies to all training, and that is, "you'll get out of it exactly what you put into it". Train faithfully, and train hard, you should be okay. Good luck in the test.

Comment

I hated the mile and a half ten years ago and I hate it even more now!! Funny thing is, you can have someone who appears to be totally out of shape smoke you on the running track. I always looked as though I was in great shape, but when it came and comes to running, it is not my forte'. I remember being in a foot pursuit and screaming out, "I may not be able to catch you but God help you if I get my hands on you." Well he smoked me.

Train enough to get your wind, don't go all out until the day you need to. The fastest I ever ran the mile and a half was in 13:38 and I was pushing it because the guy ahead of me was someone I didn't like. I was in so much pain afterwards, bad shins, inflamed achilles tendons...oh sweet sweet Advil.
                  Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

You're going to have to make the state standard before you will be certified as a LEO in IL. Before you head to whatever academy your agency sends their people make sure you can make the run and the other PT requirements. If you can't, you don't pass, you don't get certified.
                    The bottom of this page http://www.isp.state.il.us/employ/fitness.cfm are the standards mandated by the ILETSB. The page also gives training tips on how to proceed with a workout to pass the test.
                    183 FBINA

Comment

When I started to apply at departments I went through the same worrying that you are now. When you think about the run it seems like a long distance. But actually it is not. Try to think about six two minute laps. Basically that is jogging each lap, no walking, no sprinting.

I worked myself up to the mile and half. I trained at a 400 meter outdoor track. For the first three days I strictly ran 400m timed. The next three days I ran 800m. The next three days I ran 1200m. Hopefully you see the pattern. A little over two weeks I had myself conditioned for the run. I have since kept increasing my distance making the process easier when it comes time to test again.
                      "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28"

Comment

Depending on how much time you have before these tests, start training now. Not just for the test, but to get in to shape.

Start briskly walking 2 miles a day, everyday for two weeks.

Then slowly jog a mile and walking the next, four days a week,for two weeks.

Slow jog 2 miles four times a week, for two weeks. Keep it below 20 minutes.

Slowly begin to push yourself to go faster and further, eventually working your way up to 3 or 4 miles.

By the time the 1.5 mile run comes around, you'll knock it out in 10 minutes.

READ THIS CAREFULLY. Notice I said slowly a lot. Remember you're getting your body used to something new. There's no reason to go out there and get yourself hurt. Take it slow, and listen to your body. If it's telling you "ouch it hurts" then stop what you're doing. If it's saying "I think I'm going to pass out" STOP IMMEDIATELY!!! What good does it do if you get hurt and can't take the test?

Second, an even more important part of working out is a healthy diet. You're not going to loose weight and get into shape eating fried foods, greasy fast food hamburgers and all that crap. Get yourself on a good healthy balanced diet. Cut out fried foods and soda right away. There is no nutritional value to either. Yes, I like chicken wings just as much as the next guy but, make it a once in a blue moon meal.

Stretch out for a good 10 minutes before you run and keep yourself hydrated. This will help avoid the aches, pains and cramps. When you're done running/working out, stretch out even better than you did before you started. Most people don't stretch after they run which causes your muscles to hurt.

Last, don't just work out for a test. Work out to be in shape. It may save your life someday.
                        -Stay safe

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have been training, and I will continue to do so!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5739 users online. 302 members and 5437 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X