300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scenario

Just a scenario for you gents (and ladies)

[Before I begin, Police Officer responses only please. I've observed many all-too-eager non LEO members replying to past scenarios that I have scrolled through. I have posted this question in 'Ask a Cop' for a reason. ]

The scenario:
    Arriving on scene to a call regarding an automated audible alarm, you approach what appears to be a broken down door to a commercial establishment. You and your partner are able to hear muffled female screams for help inside and both decide to make entry (through the broken door). You both enter what appears to be an empty clothing store with your weapons drawn. Upon approaching the cash register which is visibly tampered with (ripped out of the counter and pryed open), you see two shadows that appear to be struggling and are stemming from the storage room.

Before identifying yourselves as police officers or calling for an assist, you hear a verbal warning from the room to "stay where you are or the girl will die". The suspect reveals verbally that he has a weapon (unknown what type) and he can see you both through the store's video camera set-up in the storage room. The suspect's voice displays a sense of distress both mentally and physically (heavy breathing). If you were to attempt a retreat or to advance, the consequences could cost the female her life. What do you do?

I understand this is a highly stressful and (hopefully) hypothetical situation but please attempt to put yourselves in it mentally as best as possible. If any departmental policy exists on a matter of this type please share it.

[If more detail is required in order for a proper answer, please request them and I will update it]

Thank you in advance,
    Leeza

Why do you want to know?

Comment

It is a hypothetical situation (as I have stated above). No personal gain (except knowledge) or personal relevance to my own life or others I know is behind the question, not that it was implied, but figured I would dispel it anyway.

Truth is, I was wondering what cops do when they are at a grave disadvantage (not to belittle their daily work at all, the very fact that there are more bad guys than cops is a disadvantage in and of itself and I respect the bravery associated with the challenges). The scenario was thought of to see how a LEO would react, nothing more. If there are any hesitations to answer it is no problem, its just that I have seen scenarios on this site before and thought I'd post my own.

Any more concerns regarding my intentions are always welcome .

-Leeza

Comment

Lethal force is definitely justified, but probably not possible because of a visibility issue. We're not superheroes. If we are at a disadvantage, then we will do what we need to do to turn it around to our advantage. In the scenario mentioned, retreating to the outside of the building and securing it may be the best option. This way negotiators and tactical units can be called to the scene. If it escalates before this, then we do the best we can without getting ourselves (or the victim) seriously injured or killed.
        I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

I know how I would react and how I was trained, but as far as I'm concerned tactics should not be discussed on open forums.

Comment

Originally posted by ofc129
            I know how I would react and how I was trained, but as far as I'm concerned tactics should not be discussed on open forums.

I agree totally! The tactics used in these types of scenarios are specialized and should not be disclosed to anyone because we just can't be sure of peoples motives. I'm not suggesting your motives are bad but anyone can read these posts. I hope you understand where I'm coming from on this.
            The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

Suffice it to say, "Leeza," that this scenario has happened in real life and there are several options tactically. What those are, are what we call "SCS" or Secret Cop Sh**.

The hostage could be rescued, bad guys neutralized. Or, it could all go to hell. You have posted a great scenario here. ONe thing not too secret is a tactical retreat, wherin we back off, make a plan and then execute. MIght involve additional units, special teams, dogs, etc.

'Nuff said.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

Originally posted by 1042 Trooper
                Suffice it to say, "Leeza," that this scenario has happened in real life and there are several options tactically. What those are, are what we call "SCS" or Secret Cop Sh**.

The hostage could be rescued, bad guys neutralized. Or, it could all go to hell. You have posted a great scenario here. ONe thing not too secret is a tactical retreat, wherin we back off, make a plan and then execute. MIght involve additional units, special teams, dogs, etc.

'Nuff said.
                basically summarizes it right there.

Comment

'Nuff said.
                  That's why my answer was broad with regards to "retreating."
                  I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

You have posted a great scenario here.

Coming from you, who has posted many great scenarios himself, that is an honor indeed .

With regards to the actual answers, it is understandable that the information cannot be disclosed to the public. I meant no harm by posing the question but however, do agree that everyone's intentions should be questioned. Thank you all for the answers (however vague they had to be) and the notice that the information cannot be disclosed. I would much rather be told it is a secret than to not have it answered at all.

With respect,
                    Leeza

Comment

I won't discuss tactics in an open forum, and there are too many variables to give an answer to this one without more disucssion. Suffice it to say I can guarantee two things: I won't leave until SWAT is in place, and if I get a visual on the suspect, I get the next three days off.
                      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by ateamer
                        I won't discuss tactics in an open forum, and there are too many variables to give an answer to this one without more disucssion. Suffice it to say I can guarantee two things: I won't leave until SWAT is in place, and if I get a visual on the suspect, I get the next three days off.
                        Indeed - and a trip to the dept shrink.
                        The All New
                        BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                        Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                        - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2799 users online. 146 members and 2653 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X