300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are my tattoos too “offensive”

I am a man of Scandinavian decent, I have tattoos to represent that, I have Thor’s hammer on my chest and a sonnenrad on my shoulder. As some of you may know, these symbols have been used some times by Nazis and white supremecist gangs, I am neither a Nazi or a white supremecist, I am just proud of my heritage and where my family comes from. There is no need to tell me “should have thought about it before you got them” because did think about it for years before I got them and I will always be proud of them because of where I come from, if I can’t get a job in law enforcement because of them then it will be a major disappointment but I will find a new line of work, I was just wondering if anybody could help me out with this

No one can help you. It's up to the agency. And...you should have thought it through.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

By help me out, I mean sharing any further knowledge you have or if you or anybody you know have been through a similar situation, and I did think it through, just exploring my job options

Comment

Your just going to have to explain what the tatoos mean
        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

The agency you apply to is the ONLY resource that can tell you one way or the other.

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
          Your just going to have to explain what the tatoos mean
          and THAT may not mean anything to the agency................If they feel they are offensive or out of place any type of "reason" for them won't matter
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Some won't hire simply because you HAVE tattoos
            USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
            "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
            DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

If you have visible tats on your arms, you will be wearing long sleeve shirts all the time with some agencies..
              Retired LASD

Comment

• J2H
                J2H commented
                Editing a comment
                Thankfully my agency allows the showing of tats (as long as they are not offensive) during the summer when we wear short sleeves, the rest of the year we are in long sleeves.

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
              If you have visible tats on your arms, you will be wearing long sleeve shirts all the time with some agencies..
              And in some agencies visible tats are an automatic DQ.
              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgrob50 View Post
                I am a man of Scandinavian decent, I have tattoos to represent that, I have Thor’s hammer on my chest and a sonnenrad on my shoulder. As some of you may know, these symbols have been used some times by Nazis and white supremecist gangs, I am neither a Nazi or a white supremecist, I am just proud of my heritage and where my family comes from. There is no need to tell me “should have thought about it before you got them” because did think about it for years before I got them and I will always be proud of them because of where I come from, if I can’t get a job in law enforcement because of them then it will be a major disappointment but I will find a new line of work, I was just wondering if anybody could help me out with this
                So you thought about it "for years"...and then decided that getting tattoos that are commonly associated with Nazis and white supremacists was a good idea. At my agency, you'd be disqualified due to your poor judgment.

Comment

• Cgrob50
                  Cgrob50 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, I have never had a problem before and 99.9% of people have never seen either symbol in their lives. It only brought concern when I was thinking I’d be interested in a law enforcement job

If you think the sonnenrad is Scandinavian you ought be using the Swedish/Norwegian/Danish name for the design.

Comment

With some of the allowed tats I've been seeing on officers in recent years,and by that II mean allowed to show on the job, I would not be surprised if there is a dept out there that hires someone with a facial tatoo.
                  Yeah, I'm older (51), hell- enough is enough.

Keep your damned "individuality" and "self-expression" to yourself.
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

The word "sonnenrad" is German, it means "sun wheel", sometimes called Black Sun. It's often associated with Nazis and certain white supremacist groups, as you said. If you knew certain symbols are commonly associated with Nazis, whether co-opted or not, why would you tattoo them on your skin, unless it represents what you believe in? The swastika itself was co-opted. Would you have that tattooed on your arm? Even if you claimed it was a Hindu symbol of peace, no one would believe it.

It's great that you can give a logical, maybe even plausible explanation of the meaning of your tats, but are you ready to repeat that explanation every time someone sees them? Will the agency you're applying with be ready to explain the meaning of your tats every time some citizen complains? You understand that the majority of people are not going to believe you, right?

Originally posted by swat_op506 View Post

Keep your damned "individuality" and "self-expression" to yourself.
                    Exactly. There's a reason why the suits we wear are called "uniforms".

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

• Cgrob50
                      Cgrob50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I come from a family of strong culture and it’s a traditional type of thing, these tattoos would all be covered by a uniform. Though it hasn’t ever happened, the day somebody has a problems with my tattoos are gonna get a mouth full

• Curt5811
                      Curt5811 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thats great. I hope the 'mouthful' you give isn't to someone who decides whether to hire you or not.

• Cgrob50
                      Cgrob50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha of course not

I appreciate the strong support of your cultural heritage; I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you thought through the potential negative ramifications of semi-permanently marking yourself in this way.

As has been stated, it's up to the individual agency. You're just going to have to apply to a bunch and find out which ones have policies allowing such tattoos. It's beneficial they're not visible even with short sleeves. That being said, I sure wouldn't try to hide the fact you have them.

It may appear unfair a department would rule you out for something like this, but try thinking of it from their perspective. Let's say you get hired. I'll assume you're white (not a lot of Scandinavians-of-Color, in my experience) and you have a use-of-force complaint lodged against you by someone from a minority group. Your name is in the headlines and the local media starts digging. How long before they come across your FB or IG account where your body art is visible? A quick Google search and they discover these symbols have been adopted by certain hate groups. Whether it's true or not, you're quickly branded as a cop with white supremacist leanings. It's not fair, but it's the world we live in.

If being a cop is that important to you, get them covered up or removed. If not, try your luck and see what happens.

Comment

• Cgrob50
                      Cgrob50 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey I appreciate the respectful reply and not assuming the tattoos were some dumb mistake I made and that I regret it. I completely understand my chances at getting hired in law enforcement is slim for the reasons that you mentioned but even if so... I still don’t regret the tattoos. Once again thank you for not being disrespectful of my choices and giving me a quality answer as to why I may not get hired at certain angecies

Hey I appreciate the respectful reply and not assuming the tattoos were some dumb mistake I made and that I regret it. I completely understand my chances at getting hired in law enforcement is slim for the reasons that you mentioned but even if so... I still don’t regret the tattoos. Once again thank you for not being disrespectful of my choices and giving me a quality answer as to why I may not get hired at certain angecies

Comment

I would personally have went with less "translatable" tattoos to show my heritage... tbh
                      USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
                      "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
                      DA Civilian Police Officer, APG MD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10826 users online. 396 members and 10430 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X