300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a used police car

Hello, I’m currently looking for a new car and I found a used 2017 Ford Explorer Interceptor Utility though is still has the lights on top and in the grille (they still operate according to pictures) is this a problem in the state of Arizona? Do they have e to be removed before they can be driven on public roads?

Thanks in advance and for the work you all do.
    Last edited by GeneralNuclear; 05-24-2018, 09:49 AM. Reason: Accidently posted before finished, on a phone.

I recommend passing it up. A year old police vehicle thats already up for sale will be very high mileage and been beaten to within an inch of its life. It's going to be a money pit in repairs. It's been well maintained, but it's worn out.

I do not believe the lighting will have to be removed, but you'll be illegal the minute you turn them on. If you actually try to stop someone, you'll get arrested.

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt5811 View Post
      I recommend passing it up. A year old police vehicle thats already up for sale will be very high mileage and been beaten to within an inch of its life. It's going to be a money pit in repairs. It's been well maintained, but it's worn out.

I do not believe the lighting will have to be removed, but you'll be illegal the minute you turn them on. If you actually try to stop someone, you'll get arrested.
      Isn’t impersonation a federal crime?

Comment

• DeaconSteve
        DeaconSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        That's why he said not to turn them on. Why not research operation and/or possession of emergency lights in your State? Impersonation of a federal officer would be a federal crime, impersonation of a local or State officer would be a State crime. Look up the Statutes of those offenses to see the elements regarding each.

Otherwise, I would also be leery of buying that model vehicle. There is definitely a reason something so new is up for sale. There could be a typo in the description of it. I would take a look and maybe bring along a mechanic friend who might offer advice to you.
        Last edited by DeaconSteve; 05-24-2018, 12:55 PM.

It would most likely be a correct assumption that the vehicle has had the doo-doo run out of it but be very careful that your state does not make that equipment illegal. In Texas, a person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light unless it is a police vehicle or authorized emergency vehicle. You don't even have to turn them on........you violate the law simply by driving it.
      If your biggest work-related fear is getting a paper cut, don't try and tell a cop how to do his job.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralNuclear View Post

Isn’t impersonation a federal crime?
        As stated... no, it's not a federal crime.

Impersonating an officer is a state felony, but you would have to do a lot more than just have a light mounted on your vehicle. You would have to act in such a way as to mislead another person to believe that you are an actual police officer. Turning the lights on behind another vehicle, so that driver pulls over would be impersonating.

There are vintage police vehicle enthusiasts out there that have non-functional lights and other equipment mounted. They're okay in my state so long as they never turn them on. Things may be different in Arizona. As Delzo said, check your state and local laws

You can trust just about every officer you work with to risk their life to save yours, but don't ever leave your lunch in the breakroom refrigerator.

Comment

I'd rather not purchase a car that has blood, sweat, and other bodily fluids sunk into the fabric. Hard pass.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralNuclear View Post
            Hello, I’m currently looking for a new car and I found a used 2017 Ford Explorer Interceptor Utility though is still has the lights on top and in the grille (they still operate according to pictures) is this a problem in the state of Arizona? Do they have e to be removed before they can be driven on public roads?

Thanks in advance and for the work you all do.
            I've you've been looking for a "new" car, you should be going to an auto dealer. Not many places where you can purchase a "new" car other than from a dealership.
            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Sooner2000 View Post
              I'd rather not purchase a car that has blood, sweat, and other bodily fluids sunk into the fabric. Hard pass.
              A ultraviolet "black light" may help you decide.

Comment

The engine probably has as many idling hours as it does driving hours. The inside has seen poop, puke, urine, snot and blood. It has transported dope so many times that drug dogs might alert on it for years.

That model is also an underpowered gas hog if its anything like the Taurus.

No.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
                  The engine probably has as many idling hours as it does driving hours. The inside has seen poop, puke, urine, snot and blood. It has transported dope so many times that drug dogs might alert on it for years.

That model is also an underpowered gas hog if its anything like the Taurus.

No.

Might as well buy a used Sprinter party van...

Comment

Don't do it...spend the extra money for a civilian model with less abuse.

Comment

A police vehicle, especially one that isn’t a take home vehicle isn’t in very good condition in a very short time. Take home vehicles usually last longer because if a breakage is caused by carelessness or stupidity, they know who did it.

When I got my last vehicle, it had 7 miles on the odometer. It was well taken care of and serviced every 5k miles. I turned it in when I retired seven years later, it had 127k on the odometer. The repairs were getting more frequent, parts were wearing out. I saw it in the city auction parking lot two years later. I still had extra keys for it. I had to stop and check it out. Whoever got it after me treated it rough. The interior was beat up and when I looked under the hood, the engine was in pieces. It was saddening.

Comment

I personally would not buy a used police car. That thing was probably beat to death.

Comment

It’s a BS post. You guys figured out it’s a troll, right?
                          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6589 users online. 201 members and 6388 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X