300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh, creepy officer or legit excuse??

About 2 weeks ago I was stopped for having my back license plate sticker and county being covered up by my license plate bracket. The officer asked for the usual S.O.P, which I provided. He did not give me a ticket but he did give me a verbal warning that I need to remove it soon. Anyway, the officer comes back to my vehicle and says 'Have a nice day' and I go 'You forgot to give me my proof of insurance, registration and license back' he goes 'I have a call to attend to, a high speed chase'. Well at first I bought the story, but this last Saturday, I called him, not at home,(he gave me his 'business' card with his HOME phone number, who does that?) and left a professional message stating specifically who I was and what had happened. He called me back later that evening and said that I could meet him at his precinct and retrieve my materials. I show up at that time and date exactly, and he was a no show. I asked his Captain and he goes 'well...I don't know where he's at, he's out'.

So than I called him again..no answer and no call for almost 3 days. I wait it out, but now I'm getting frustrated and I want my stuff back just in case I ever get stopped again. No police officer is going to believe that another P.O. took my stuff and hasn't given it back. He called me back yesterday and tells me that he's going to be patrolling this certain area Wednesday and that if I want my materials, I need to come out there and get them. The thing is, I live like 30 minutes or so from the place he's patrolling, I do know the area and during the time he's patrolling that area, it's not very populated, but it's very nice middle-class homes. I call him back and ask if there is any way he can't just mail them to me or let me come back to his precinct to get them or leave them with a secretary or something he goes 'nope, I'm a very busy guy and I want to get this over with'. So me being me (I'm totally suspicious of everyone..regardless of their job title) I search the local news websites and watch the news for any high speed chases taking place...there wasn't any that day. I grew suspcious so I called the P.D. he works at and asked if there were any high speed chases at this time and this certain area, the woman answered 'no'...hhmmm.(LOL, I can tell when people are lying, and he certainly was).

Either A) This officers is real creepy and has a motive for wanting to me meet 30 minutes away from my home, B) I don't understand why he's making it so difficult when most officers would just mail me my materials, and C) Who gives a civilian their business card with their cell phone and home phone on the card, and I was not impressed by him at all.

I just don't really understand this guy, he seems nice but I don't understand why he's going out of his way and keeps making excuses about giving my materials back, kind of creepy. I'm just deciding if I really want to drive a half-hour to get my stuff when it should be partially his responsibility to give me my stuff back, I shouldn't have to scamper all of the city just to get my personal stuff that's rightfully mine.

Originally posted by Ozzie
    About 2 weeks ago I was stopped for having my back license plate sticker and county being covered up by my license plate bracket. The officer asked for the usual S.O.P, which I provided. He did not give me a ticket but he did give me a verbal warning that I need to remove it soon. Anyway, the officer comes back to my vehicle and says 'Have a nice day' and I go 'You forgot to give me my proof of insurance, registration and license back' he goes 'I have a call to attend to, a high speed chase'. Well at first I bought the story, but this last Saturday, I called him, not at home,(he gave me his 'business' card with his HOME phone number, who does that?) and left a professional message stating specifically who I was and what had happened. He called me back later that evening and said that I could meet him at his precinct and retrieve my materials. I show up at that time and date exactly, and he was a no show. I asked his Captain and he goes 'well...I don't know where he's at, he's out'.

So than I called him again..no answer and no call for almost 3 days. I wait it out, but now I'm getting frustrated and I want my stuff back just in case I ever get stopped again. No police officer is going to believe that another P.O. took my stuff and hasn't given it back. He called me back yesterday and tells me that he's going to be patrolling this certain area Wednesday and that if I want my materials, I need to come out there and get them. The thing is, I live like 30 minutes or so from the place he's patrolling, I do know the area and during the time he's patrolling that area, it's not very populated, but it's very nice middle-class homes. I call him back and ask if there is any way he can't just mail them to me or let me come back to his precinct to get them or leave them with a secretary or something he goes 'nope, I'm a very busy guy and I want to get this over with'. So me being me (I'm totally suspicious of everyone..regardless of their job title) I search the local news websites and watch the news for any high speed chases taking place...there wasn't any that day. I grew suspcious so I called the P.D. he works at and asked if there were any high speed chases at this time and this certain area, the woman answered 'no'...hhmmm.(LOL, I can tell when people are lying, and he certainly was).

Either A) This officers is real creepy and has a motive for wanting to me meet 30 minutes away from my home, B) I don't understand why he's making it so difficult when most officers would just mail me my materials, and C) Who gives a civilian their business card with their cell phone and home phone on the card, and I was not impressed by him at all.

I just don't really understand this guy, he seems nice but I don't understand why he's going out of his way and keeps making excuses about giving my materials back, kind of creepy. I'm just deciding if I really want to drive a half-hour to get my stuff when it should be partially his responsibility to give me my stuff back, I shouldn't have to scamper all of the city just to get my personal stuff that's rightfully mine.
    You know, I think I saw this plot in a movie before, maybe it was Kurt Russell in an LAPD type role?

NO ONE here is going to second guess an alledged incident. DO cops take your stuff and once in awhile elave with them, sure. BUT I would bet a good portion of my salary that he would leave them with his secretary for you to pick the up at the station.
    Just dont sound right here...
    I got nothing for now

Comment

I don't know the purpose for taking the materials, my guess is he's making it difficult because perhaps he's lost the items in the interim. And just because the 'dispatcher' or the news doesn't show any sort of info on any pursuits, doesn't mean one didn't occur. Not everything makes the news.

not sure.

scrubb
      “You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm.”

Comment

Are you telling the whole story?? It just doesnt sound right. My guess, based on the info you are giving, is that he lost your info.
        John 3:16

Comment

I've done that by accident too when receiving a high priority call and not thinking straight. I don't see why he just won't leave them at the office. I'd phone him again and tell him that's the way it's going to go down, and if not you'll contact a supervisor (and follow through on that). That's unacceptable for him to tell you when and how to pick them up, especially if you have to drive 30 mins and already went once already where he didn't show. There is nothing saying he won't get called out next time.

Your gut is probably right. He sounds like a creep.

Another thing. I never hand out my home phone number to anyone I meet off the street, especially the first time. My guess is there is something more to it. It's not standard procedure for us to do that, ever.

Comment

I search the local news websites and watch the news for any high speed chases taking place...there wasn't any that day. I grew suspcious so I called the P.D. he works at and asked if there were any high speed chases at this time and this certain area, the woman answered 'no'...hhmmm.(LOL, I can tell when people are lying, and he certainly was).
            Not to say anything in defense but, sometimes there's instances like this where the next shift doesn't get notified. So she may have just not known about a pursuit or particular call. Communication breakdown is fairly common.

I agree with the rest though, something about this doesn't seem right. I also don't think you should have to drive and inconvenience yourself to pick up YOUR credentials...even if the officer was on a hot call, he should be courteous enough to return your documents with ease.

Comment

I would call the police station and ask to speak with a supervisor. Explain your story and concerns to them and let them handle it. I'm not saying this guy is up to something but DON"T go and meet him to get your things back. If he lost them it's an honest mistake but if he's playing games that's a whole different story.
              "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything!"-Wyatt Earp

"You never know when crazy will show up!"-Irishdep

Comment

It does happen

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/6504007.html

If you want to hear unbelievable excuses just talk to police officers.

They've heard them all.

That's why an Omaha man hopes he doesn't get pulled over.

His story might top them all, but it's true.

"I don't think any officer would buy that story," says Andy Spiegal.

Spiegal worries about being stopped by police.

"It was a little nerve racking," he says.

He has nothing to hide just nothing to give officers except an excuse.

Spiegal says, "If I get pulled over, the cops are not going to believe me that another police officer mistakenly forgot to give me back my license, registration and proof of insurance."

Stopped for speeding just after midnight Sunday, Spiegal passes sobriety tests but something else was going on in the city.

"He told me he could either bring me to the station or he could pursue a high speed chase and he uncuffed my cuffs and let me go."

The officer drives off with Spiegal's license registration and proof of insurance.

But 911 has no record of the traffic stop being called in, so which officer has the paperwork and what does Spiegal say if stopped again?

"They'll say I'm a young kid who lost all his stuff is driving illegally," says Spiegal.

Spiegal works for defense attorney James Martin Davis.

Davis says, "What's he supposed to say? Go over and get a duplicate license and they ask what happened. Well, a police officer ran off with it."

After Six On Your Side contacts Omaha police, Spiegal is asked to stop by a precinct station.

He says, at the precinct, the sergeant had him see an unusual photo lineup of police officers.

Spiegal identified the officer who happened to be off duty at the time but promised to put Spiegal's license, registration and proof of insurance in the mail.

Don't go through any yellow lights, just playing it safe," says Spiegal.

But until it arrives, Andy drives well under the speed limit especially outside Omaha where another officer might find his excuse hard to believe.

"Hope the police officer is very understanding, won't throw me in jail or write me a ticket for not having all three."

An Omaha police spokesperson says the officer was not in a hurry to join a pursuit, which was underway at the same time.

The officer just inadvertently kept the license, registration and proof of insurance.

It's being mailed to the driver and should arrive by Friday.

The spokesperson says the officer did not violate any procedures during or after the traffic stop.
                2006 Officer.com Party Bus Fantasy Football CHAMPION

Comment

He has time to give you a buisness card and not your paperwork back? Very odd.

Comment

Based on what you've told us (and there are two sides to every story) I would definitely go back to the police station and speak to a supervisor. There is no reason why the supervisor can't call him off of the road for 30 minutes to return your documents to you if the officer took them in error.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

First of all the only cops I know that give out their personal numbers are creeps.

Second no way should you be playing games with this guy. I've accidentally kept dl's or insurance and I'm usually trying my darndest to return them to avoid the complaint.

My opinion is that you should call this guys supervisor and explain the situation. I be the supervisor can find out what the heck is going on. If you don't get your stuff back after that it may be time to take the next step. And I wouldn't normally send anyone to I.A.
                      The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

What are the chances the original poster's question and the news article would be sssoooo close in detail?

Comment

About an hour ago I called him again, no answer. So this time I contacted his supervisor and he assured me things will be taken care of. As for that article, I already know about that, it's not news to me, I live in the same area. Why would I make this up? I think I have better things to do with my time such as attend school and work.

Comment

Ozzie:

I'm curious. Just what do you think is going on here?
                            What does your gut tell you?

BTW, sounds odd to me too.

SDT
                            You can now follow me on twitter.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm weird.
                              Some people were just dropped on their heads as children more than the rest of us!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6342 users online. 358 members and 5984 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X