Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBJ question and should i write the cop a letter???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBJ question and should i write the cop a letter???

PBJ Question and should i write a letter to the officer??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question.
    I got a ticket a year ago in march for an incident and was given PBJ(Probation before judgement). The court date was in August.
    I just recently within the past week got a speeding ticket for going 37 in a 20.
    Anyway I don't have a court date yet but what my question is.

Does the year PBJ start from the court date I was awarded PBJ or from the date of the ticket?

Is it from Court date to court date or from the date of 1st ticket to the date of the 2nd ticket.

I live in Maryland if that helps any.
    Also how long is it possible to postpone my court date if at all possible I would like to postpone my court date until after the PBJ.

If I'm off of PBJ and I go in to court will the judge see that I have a clean record or will he see that the PBJ has expired?

Lastly,
    I was reading on a few sites saying that i should try to meet the officer or write him a letter pretty much tryin to explain myself and things like that.
    I was thinking of telling him its my first speeding ticket. and i'm getting ready to apply to police departments and i know how tought the competition is already and this speeding ticket is really going to hurt my chances and ask if there is anything else that i can do. such as community service or help the officer with something.
    My question is, is that a good idea or just dont do it. and how would you respond if someone did that to you?
    i guess my reasoning is, the worst the cop can say is no. also this happened on a college campus by a campus cop.

Sorry it ended up being longer than anticipated

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not a traffic guru, but I think the PBJ starts when it was assigned at the date of the court appearance. Then you have to see how many months you were given probation. It doesnt matter how long you post pone the case, because it goes by the date of the infraction. If you were on probation when you received the infraction, technically you violated the probation. The PBJ will be on your record and when you complete the probation, then you have the chance to have it expunged from your record.

As far as writing a letter, I would say no. The tickets already written. My experience, the officer will tell the judge how you were on the traffic stop, your curtousey, mannerisms, etc.

Comment

Pbj goes into effect the date it was issued by the judge. It will stay on your record. Most judges will not give you a second pbj.

Don't write a letter or ask to meet with the officer. He/she will tell you that court is the proper venue to discuss any matters relevant to your case. I cannot imagine an officer "taking back the citation". Thats just not how it's done. If I had a dime for every time I heard the "I'm thinking about becoming a cop, or I am in the process of becoming a cop" excuse, I could retire today. I'm not saying you are lying about wanting to become a cop, just that the excuse is used alot.

A ticket or two alone is not going to keep you out of most departments. I was suspended for points for 30 days when I was in my early twenties. That didnt hurt me.
      Last edited by redbird07; 04-10-2007, 12:03 AM.
      John 3:16

Comment

I'm really glad you clarified the acronym, because I was wondering how a letter to a cop was going to involve a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
        Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Dees
          I'm really glad you clarified the acronym, because I was wondering how a letter to a cop was going to involve a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

As was I...
          sigpic

Comment

Probation Before Judgement!

Now I can sleep tonight......

Comment

Originally posted by Guams
              As was I...
              LMBO! I am guilty also.
              Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

Originally posted by mike21136
                PBJ Question and should i write a letter to the officer??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick question.
                I got a ticket a year ago in march for an incident and was given PBJ(Probation before judgement). The court date was in August.
                I just recently within the past week got a speeding ticket for going 37 in a 20.
                Anyway I don't have a court date yet but what my question is.

Does the year PBJ start from the court date I was awarded PBJ or from the date of the ticket?

Is it from Court date to court date or from the date of 1st ticket to the date of the 2nd ticket.

I live in Maryland if that helps any.
                Also how long is it possible to postpone my court date if at all possible I would like to postpone my court date until after the PBJ.

If I'm off of PBJ and I go in to court will the judge see that I have a clean record or will he see that the PBJ has expired?

Lastly,
                I was reading on a few sites saying that i should try to meet the officer or write him a letter pretty much tryin to explain myself and things like that.
                I was thinking of telling him its my first speeding ticket. and i'm getting ready to apply to police departments and i know how tought the competition is already and this speeding ticket is really going to hurt my chances and ask if there is anything else that i can do. such as community service or help the officer with something.
                My question is, is that a good idea or just dont do it. and how would you respond if someone did that to you?
                i guess my reasoning is, the worst the cop can say is no. also this happened on a college campus by a campus cop.

Sorry it ended up being longer than anticipated

Thanks,

Mike
                First off, if you don't want to get the ticket and are seriously concerned about its impact, don't do 37/20 (was it a school zone?). Secondly, don't write the letter. Third, you said you wanted to tell him it was your first speeding ticket, what was your first one for?
                For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

As far as my understanding (but don't go quoting me!), in maryland, PBJ starts from the time its assigned in court. Second, 37 in a 20 is almost enough to get arrested (double the speed limit in maryland), but I do know it is sometimes hard to go that slow, but try! Third, don't lie to the officer. Writing him a letter saying your applying to agencies or it was your first ticket is probably not going to win his/her heart. Best advice I can give, be honest, take your punishment like a man, and move on. If you feel the ticket was wrong, then take it to the judge.

Comment

I see the first 3 letters PBJ and automatically think Peanut Butter and Jelly

Comment

Originally posted by CODE-30
                      I see the first 3 letters PBJ and automatically think Peanut Butter and Jelly
                      Like in a "PB&J sammich", which reminds me .....

..... I'm hungry.
                      "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Originally posted by mike21136
                        Mike
                        Regardless if he gives you PBJ or the points you will still have it on your record and have to tell your BI.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2968 users online. 135 members and 2833 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X