300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement or Military Background

This topic may have been asked before but I decided to bring it up because Ive been hearing recently that some law enforcement agencies will choose an applicant with law enforcement background over military background.....We all know of having both is awesome.

Depends on the agency. In some cases, agencies prefer applicants have neither as both have the potential of having “bad habits” that can be challenging when going through the academy.
    Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

• slcool
      slcool commented
      Editing a comment
      May i ask what " bad habits" are you preferring to?

• HI629
      HI629 commented
      Editing a comment
      Firearms handling is one that I run into while training prior military and law enforcement. Another would have to do with laws. What's perfectly legal and "routine" in one jurisdiction could be a HUGE "no no" in another jurisdiction.

Another would have to do with the way things are done. I can tell prior military by the way their reports are written. Many of them start off the same way and have many common elements. Not necessarily a bad thing, but when you have a PITA chief that wants them written differently..... You get the picture.

For the most part, YMMV with prior service and prior LEO.

My opinion......That only applies to the KNOW-IT-ALL prior military and prior law enforcement.....I say this is because i am one of those prior military personnel/veteran who would go by their rules and standards eventhough I was taught different....Their house, their rules and standards.

Comment

*****deleted*****
      Last edited by HI629; 05-14-2018, 10:58 PM. Reason: double tap
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by slcool View Post
        My opinion......That only applies to the KNOW-IT-ALL prior military and prior law enforcement.....I say this is because i am one of those prior military personnel/veteran who would go by their rules and standards eventhough I was taught different....Their house, their rules and standards.
        Humility is golden. I’ve seen my share of ‘know it all” types in my day, and washed out more than a few of them. They all seem to fall at the wayside eventually.

Bottom line is that if agency policy/procedure stipulates something, it’s in your best interest to comply or find another agency. Good luck!

Comment

It shows you have discipline, etc, but many vets I know of (myself included) were taught the military way, which is way different than the civilian way... I had to relearn when I went civ LE.
          USAF VETERAN 2004-2012
          "The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."-LTC Grossman
          DA Security Guard, APG MD (GS-5 Step 06)

Comment

Originally posted by slcool View Post
            I disagree. I don't believe it applies to know it all folks with prior military and law enforcement (although it could). I have gone through a few academies and helped to train some folks as well....when you spend years and years and years reinforcing muscle memory with defensive tactics, firearms, even positioning on high risk stops, including policy/procedures that have become habit and natural, it is sometimes very difficult to change that. It's not bad or wrong, it is just challenging and some departments want certain things for their hiring.
            Last edited by Shaidon; Yesterday, 01:13 AM. Reason: clarity
            I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

My SMALL agency (Sheriff's office) kind of mixes their hiring between ex military and prior LE and a couple total newbies. It gave us a pretty good diversity

My former agency (large statewide Corrections ) hired everybody..........with mixed results.

Anecdotal Evidence:
              One of the hardest people I ever had to train was a retired USMC Gunny. He was so entrenched in his rigid black/white personality that he struggled daily with being "human". His training reviews consistently mentioned his inability to bend and his somewhat reluctance to take direction from "younger staff" (younger than him) almost got him let go during probation. However his work ethic showed through and he became a good officer. He later became a supervisor.
              Another ex Gunny who we hired never had the problems this guy had and folded into our force immediately......and never wanted to promote but was still a mentor to newer staff for years..

I was trained in several areas by a retired USAF Senior Master Sgt..........at the time he was "just an officer" who had a couple years on me but was in a "foreman" type position . He too was very rigid but had already toned his personality down to meet the agency profile. I worked for the agency for a couple years ..........left and returned to that institution 10 yrs later and this guy was now a Captain and became one of my mentors He retired as a Major about the time I was promoted to Lieutenant.

I also have had mixed experience from former officers in all three of my agencies. Many come with baggage from their prior employment (I also was in this status a couple times in my career).

I really like the mix of experience levels................it makes for an interesting force.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8530 users online. 372 members and 8158 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X